Author Topic: Cost of Insurance and gas in Lower Mainland  (Read 1968 times)

velvito

• 1991 Corrado OBDII VR6T
Cost of Insurance and gas in Lower Mainland
« on: Mar 30, 19, 10:53 »
Sorry for the whining but I have to get this out... :P

I insured the Corrado on Wednesday just before the 6% rate increase starting April 1st.  I compared the cost of insurance from 2015 to this week .  In 2015, I insured the Corrado for 1 year with $5M liability, $300 collision and comprehensive...I paid $1300 for one year with a 40% safe driver's discount.  This past week, same coverage cost me $900 for 6 months.  To add insult to injury, I filled up with 94 octane for $1.66/litre yielding 45 litres for $75.  WTF!!!

A friend of mine in AB says that their gas was at $1.10 range last week...didn't say what octane but let's just assume that's 87 octane.  In comparison to our 87 octane, that's a variance of roughly $0.40/litre.  Both AB and US have rates that are approx. $1.10/litre.

Clown show...
|Dubs for life|

eurotrash

• Testers
  • lurker
Re: Cost of Insurance and gas in Lower Mainland
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 19, 13:02 »
Agreed wholeheartedly! ICBC is a joke now and gas prices are mental. I’m starting to fill up in the states again. Last night I put in 62l of 92 in my CTS-V and with exchange I paid $1.18/litre. FOR 92!!! 87 here is 1.39-149 right now. Not happy.
2005 CTS-V
2017 Toyota Highlander | Limited | Midnight Black Metallic

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 19, 15:06 »
I've been filling up in Blaine for 5-6 years now. Just filled up my Touareg with 95L of diesel for $97 CAD. Would've been over $135 here.
'81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |   '96 YZF750R

velvito

• 1991 Corrado OBDII VR6T
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 19, 11:40 »
Well worth it now at $0.40 difference in price.  Funny how only BC seems to be impacted more by the processing plants maintenance and the summer fuel blends.
|Dubs for life|

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 19, 00:30 »
BC has only 4 refineries to produce it’s fuel, the rest of the country has way more options.  WA gas prices are higher than most of the rest of the US for the same reason.
Dear Lord. If we give you Justine Bieber and Miley Cyrus, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

witchcraftz

• Testers
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 19, 09:07 »
[...] I insured the Corrado for 1 year with $5M liability, $300 collision and comprehensive... [...] with a 40% safe driver's discount. [...] coverage cost me $900 for 6 months.

Clown show...

Yeah, my MK7 TDi Golf with $2M and $1000 deductible with 40% is about $2k/year. ICBC insurance is the highest in Canada for sure. And it keeps getting higher! In other provinces I could expect my insurance to drop year after year of not having any accidents or claims...
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 19, 09:07 by witchcraftz »

Autohau5

« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 19, 10:05 »
Would be nice if they implemented a good driver yearly cash back like some US insurers. 

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 19, 11:28 »
They are supposed to be taking driving history and past claims into account with the next set of changes coming Sept 2019.  In theory good drivers with a clear history will pay less and poorer drivers with more tickets and/or claims will be paying more to offset and keep it neutral.  How much people's insurance will actually change remains to be seen....
Dear Lord. If we give you Justine Bieber and Miley Cyrus, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

Autohau5

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 19, 12:05 »
You know what that means. Good drivers will remain at current rates, and poor drivers will have higher rates. Icbc will never lower rates. :lol:

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 19, 12:37 »
Normally I'd agree wholeheartedly, but I think this one may be different.  Still not expecting a massive deduction, however Eby and the NDP have made cost reductions and "good drivers should pay less than bad" such a core talking point around the ICBC "dumpster fire" that I don't think they can back away.  That's especially true given that Wilkinson has already said the Liberals will about face and run on a platform of abolishing ICBC's monopoly so the NDP become very vulnerable on a retail issue that most British Columbian's have pretty strong opinions about.