Author Topic: Dubberz Mk3 Enthusiast Thread  (Read 24076 times)

The Producer

Dubberz Mk3 Enthusiast Thread
« on: Oct 31, 16, 13:08 »
Inspired by the ongoing conversation in the CL finds thread.

I know there are a bunch of us here, and we're lucky to live in a west coast climate that does a pretty good job of naturally preserving these cars.

Having said that, they're starting to fade away, so lets have a tribute to past and present dubberz/dov Mk3's

My first - only pic I have of it sadly. My first "real" car. Saved for 2 years to buy it in 98. I couldn't afford to buy new, or to get into a VR6, but man - this thing was pretty damn sweet.

Totally stock:

cobragti944 by GhstRidr, on Flickr

Several years and several cars later, I went back to my roots and found another 97 2.0. This one had a TON of miles on it, but it cleaned up nicely with a couple of trips to Alpis. Regretted not keeping some of the parts on this one, like the bra and the "deluxe" stereo.

Next up in 14/15 I found this one family car. Totally original. Purchased from the daughter of the OG owner, and as is my preference a north shore car. It had many parking bruises, but the paint shone brightly, and a trip to Kris at VM to replace some tired wear items and skirt covers and it was like new again. I still see this car on facebook - the new owner has taken it all over the province and keeps it in excellent mechanical shape.

IMG_1106 by GhstRidr, on Flickr

And here we are today - after giving the guys a hard time a few months ago about buying rusty Mk3's, I began keeping my eyes open for a clean one. Turns out it is harder than even 2 years ago to find them. I thought I'd be into another Corrado, but this popped up and I was local to it. IT took a bit of time to sort out as the owner had not secured her new vehicle yet. She called yesterday and said come pick it up - grabbed it 10 minutes later. Garage kept it's whole life, only paintwork on the rear bumper and OG right down to the floormats. She even threw in the roofracks I'll need in a few weeks

Plans for this one are to keep it stock, with the exception of some mild suspension changes.

125CD0CC-9A84-44D2-A05D-1E492D7F9A87 by GhstRidr, on Flickr

So there you have it - post up your local Mk3's, past and present. There have been some beauties over the years, dust off those external hard drives and upload some pics!
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 17, 15:38 by The Producer »

germanstyle

• Global Moderator
  • Wheel Whore
Re: Dubberz Mk3 Enthusiast Thread
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 16, 14:24 »
Great idea for a thread, looking forward to seeing some nice mk3's from days gone by.

My first mk3 was back in 2001 or so, it was a 1994 GTI 2.0ltr.  It was a fairly well kept example when I bought it and I did a lot of the usual items that we did at the time.  Plenty of Neuspeed bits added to the car and I thought it was super quick back in the day.

Fast forward to 2005 or so and I was looking for something fast and fun to drive.  That's when I saw Shawn Vaneer had his 1995 Jetta GLX up for sale, I thought sure why not.  It was a Kinetic development car and had the stage 2 VRT Kit on it.  It ended up being a rough purchase as it needed a lot of money into it, including a new motor, but it was fun while I had it.  I look back on this purchase and wonder what I was thinking, but its all in the learning I suppose.

And around the same time as the VRT my wife and I started dating so I took her stock 1999 Golf and made it into something fun for her, it was an enjoyable build and one she still misses.

I've had a few other MK3's mixed in there as winter beaters as well, I think I had a 1995 Jetta and another 1994 Golf and at least one 1998 GTI VR6, but by the time those came around I wasn't as taken by them so I don't think I have a lot of pictures.
Toyota 4runner, Ram 3500

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 16, 14:53 »
That 4 door golf was awesome!

My favorite MK3 combo has got to be a late model MK3 4 door with a VR6 swap or a cabrio with a VR6 swap.

BlueVR

« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 16, 15:12 »
I owned few mk3 as well. My first car was 1997 Jazz Blue DE which end up with A59 Carbon widebody.

Next, I had CL that I did some body work, pulled fenders and repainted the car myself at home.

Than MK3 Cabrio which I bought from a friend. All I did was put bbs rs on the car.

Also picked up mk3 VRT.

And my last mk3 was the Japanese import Vento.

2015 SQ5, 2018 S5 Sportback

killerb09

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 16, 15:24 »
I'd post mine but I've been laughed at enough on here.

Parts

• My lawn. You. Off it.
  • Professional driver, closed course. Do not attempt
No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time. All you got is life time.
Go.

Madmylo

« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 16, 17:13 »
Always had a soft spot for mk3s people either love them or hate them... Iv owned this vr6 the past year and have been driving it daily. Im the third owner and Its been a joy to drive and has no rust that I can see anywhere!! Im so tempted to ship it home to Ireland some day when I return..
Heres my most recent pic of it out at mission raceway.

Mk6 GTI
16v Mk2 Scirocco

Alexi

• Global Moderator
  • Uber Gyro™
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 16, 17:34 »
16 + years and a still have my GreenT.   Car doesn't get out much except for late night boost runs. 😜. 

I currently have a mk3 Jetta dbw 1.8t Syncro as my daily and part of TeamAllRace's Drag mk3.

I've also had 2 ginster vr6 gti's . One of those was also a vrt.   A golf cl vr6 and a bunch of mk3 vr's that I parted out over the years

Can't even count how many mk3 builds I've been involved with.  Deff a fan of the mk3 😋

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 16, 18:46 by Alexi »
04 R32
97 GTI VR6 GreenT. Made for boosting. (126mph and climbing)
92 GTI VR6- one day it will be done

gtiscirocco

« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 16, 17:44 »
Great idea for a thread, looking forward to seeing some nice mk3's from days gone by.

My first mk3 was back in 2001 or so, it was a 1994 GTI 2.0ltr.  It was a fairly well kept example when I bought it and I did a lot of the usual items that we did at the time.  Plenty of Neuspeed bits added to the car and I thought it was super quick back in the day.

Fast forward to 2005 or so and I was looking for something fast and fun to drive.  That's when I saw Shawn Vaneer had his 1995 Jetta GLX up for sale, I thought sure why not.  It was a Kinetic development car and had the stage 2 VRT Kit on it.  It ended up being a rough purchase as it needed a lot of money into it, including a new motor, but it was fun while I had it.  I look back on this purchase and wonder what I was thinking, but its all in the learning I suppose.

And around the same time as the VRT my wife and I started dating so I took her stock 1999 Golf and made it into something fun for her, it was an enjoyable build and one she still misses.

I've had a few other MK3's mixed in there as winter beaters as well, I think I had a 1995 Jetta and another 1994 Golf and at least one 1998 GTI VR6, but by the time those came around I wasn't as taken by them so I don't think I have a lot of pictures.

In October 2011 I bought the 1999 golf pictured above from my neighbor. It was a fun clean car, wish I still had it!  I drooled over it for years before buying it.  I kept it for almost a year and then sold it to my brother. Unfortunately someone drove into it while it was parked and it was written off in 2012.

hellgti

« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 16, 18:59 »
I could never quite get down with MK3s. I did enjoy mine while I owned it. But being a 1.8l cl, it's lack of power and crappy freeway gearing got old fast.

Take care of each other out there. everyone here is my brother, let's make sure everybody goes home safe. Alright, let's stomp some heads. - Scott Vogel

Madmylo

« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 16, 19:38 »
We should arrange a mk3 meet some weekend soon....
Mk6 GTI
16v Mk2 Scirocco

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 16, 22:00 »
This 1998 Jetta GT was the first car I really put some mileage on. It was my first car in 2003 right out of highschool. I clocked over 60,000kms on this car and Im not sure if ive ever put more on a single other car ( some of my old cars don't count mileage correctly or at all, or didn't for periods of time )

This is one of the last photos I took of the car before I sold it. After destroying 2 euro front ends I ended up with a NA bumper again with shaved side markers and interestingly enough im going to build an almost identical bumper for my current GTI.

Its interesting to note that a lot of the parts I purchased for this car brand new, like the smoked long fogs are now almost impossible to find and when they come up, they are to much money. Or the Abt wheels which I purchased new are now " old school "

I would probably buy this car back in any condition if I ever saw it out in the wild.

Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

The Producer

« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 16, 22:37 »
Some nice cars here - but I know there are more! There's been a bunch of DE's over the years, rare colours (dustys, surfs, memorys) 1.8t swap cars.

Lunchbox

• Elitist
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 16, 08:11 »
I miss my MK3  :thumbup:
Mike - 1980 Lemon Yellow Rabbit 1.8T AWP , 2005 Black Jetta Wagon 1.8T AWP
"Oops I jammed the USB cable in upside down and the computer stalled" - AirCooledRules
"Dude! I just unloaded on some dead crow" - AirCooledRules

83RedRoc

« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 16, 08:53 »
16 + years and a still have my GreenT.   Car doesn't get out much except for late night boost runs. 😜. 

I currently have a mk3 Jetta dbw 1.8t Syncro as my daily and part of TeamAllRace's Drag mk3.

I've also had 2 ginster vr6 gti's . One of those was also a vrt.   A golf cl vr6 and a bunch of mk3 vr's that I parted out over the years

Can't even count how many mk3 builds I've been involved with.  Deff a fan of the mk3 😋

I'm inside one of the ones you've owned right now... blue 'n' caged 'n' rusty

Qogu

« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 16, 13:36 »
I've had my 8v aba for over 3 years now and is my first car.  177k km on it I've put maybe 10k since owned to work and commute to school, pinch welds arent bent but are a little rusty sadly, second owner. It's Gone through many different looks but even though it's not the fastest thing out there it's a lot of fun. It'd running Koni coilovers all around for starters and have put maybe $7k into the car since baught it to bring it a little more to life. Paint has love scratches as it's the original paint, trunk has some rust spots taken care of with primer. I'd like to keep it as long as I possibly can.

jettas07

« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 16, 18:26 »
This is the only mk3 ive had. I enjoy driving it when i get the chance to. Unfortunately the po didnt take great care of it but im trying my best to keep it going and looking good.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

killerb09

« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 16, 19:34 »
1997 Golf CL

1997 GTI VR6

1997 GTI VR6 DE

1998 Golf GL

None of these are modified or nice really.  My favorite has to be the 1998 GL with the cool stickers on it....lol

Grasshopper

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 16, 20:42 »
Definitely miss my mk3.

Madmylo

« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 16, 20:50 »
That roofrack setup and wheels  :yes:
Mk6 GTI
16v Mk2 Scirocco