Author Topic: Windows 7 ----> 10, recovery media, and activation  (Read 2164 times)

Big Daddy Roth

• Testers
I have a HP G62 Win 7 Laptop. Windows 7 obviously came activated. The few times I've used the recovery DVD's for a clean install, windows is activated. I have DVD's and there is a recovery partition on the HD as well ( I've never used it).

I did a clean upgrade to Win 10. Activated, no prob.

Here are my Q's;

- How is my Win 10 Key held? I know in newer machines, it's in the firmware. My laptop pre-dates this. Does it still refer to my win 7 licence?

- I would like to be able to create updated recovery media. Ideally, I would like to be able to install win 10 on a clean partition, then create a bootable recovery image. Or do I need to install Win 7 first before going to win 10, for the activation?

- How do I create this bootable image? How do I access it with a clean machine with no 3.5" drive?

Big Daddy Roth

• Testers
Re: Windows 7 ----> 10, recovery media, and activation
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 16, 12:07 »
I just peeked at the POST boot menu. Usual selections, but I didn't see a way to access partitions on a HD for boot. I did see an option for system recovery, but selection just leads to normal boot-up now. Stupid dedicated retail HP win7 BIOS.

I'll image up a USB stick. If I do a clean recovery from that, does it activate?

Can I delete the win 7 recovery partition and DVD's?

Big Daddy Roth

• Testers
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 16, 13:34 »
Win 10 key got attached to my Microsoft account.

Ditch everything win 7.

I figured out how to make a win 10 image. Just gotta make sure I can access the recovery partition with the system repair usb/disc.

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 16, 13:01 »
Just saw this lol was going to tell you just hit reset. Grab a beer. Sit back and relax.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

john2353

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 16, 18:55 »
Wow thanks............its a helpfull question.............!!!!!!!!