Author Topic: School me on what I need in a cheap laptop..  (Read 8359 times)

cpa93

School me on what I need in a cheap laptop..
« on: Sep 12, 15, 09:55 »
Long story short, my previous laptop was stolen out of my car around 2-3 years ago.

I have gotten by without one, however, I think its time to get another one for school.
Looking for something cheap, but ideally it should still be able to function in 3 years.

I need it for browsing, office suite (I can pirate if need be), web based homework (Math XL, Accounting lab), occasional youtube videos.
I would like an adquete keyboard and I dont game at all.

Can any computer guys school me on what I should look for, avoid, or potential models?

If anyone is selling a decent one also PM me.

the bartender

• I control the horizontal, and the vertical
Re: School me on what I need in a cheap laptop..
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 15, 11:37 »
chromebook.

cpa93

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 15, 13:21 »
chromebook.

While I dig the price tags. I dont like who you pretty much have to be "online" all the time to get the most out of it even though I usually am.
The fact that I cannot get office suite is the primary deal breaker, and yes I am sure you can use web based versions but I am not sold on that.

the bartender

• I control the horizontal, and the vertical
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 15, 12:31 »
While I dig the price tags. I dont like who you pretty much have to be "online" all the time to get the most out of it even though I usually am.
The fact that I cannot get office suite is the primary deal breaker, and yes I am sure you can use web based versions but I am not sold on that.

Most apps work offline, and there is a 'office' document viewer for the chrome browser in addition to google docs supporting most of the common use cases.

https://medium.com/@JamesCridland/review-five-months-with-a-chromebook-for-web-development-writing-and-more-8adf36b4a061

and here's a good source for info. http://www.omgchrome.com/

cpa93

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 15, 13:30 »
Thanks for that info! Some good stuff

Would anyone with a chrome book, like to chime in?
Also would like to hear from people running Linux on them.

kirk9

« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 15, 19:56 »
Dell Inspiron 15 3000
15.6 inch
Intel core i3-5005U
500GB
4GB
Intel HD Graphics 5500

kirk9

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 15, 19:58 »

Steve Madden

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 17, 00:37 »
Found some suggestions on the internet, might be helpful for you: https://www.techinpost.com/list-of-top-best-laptop-under-300-helpful-easy-guides/

Jeremy Sawatzky #2

• Hodor
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 17, 06:16 »
If you want it to last 3 years, components are no problem but I would pay most attention to the build of the laptop. Your average $500 laptop is built to just barely hold the components in the case, they will be shit to type on and the frame/screen will be super flimsy, cheap plastics prone to cracking. a small jump in price can make a big difference.
2005 BMW 325i, 2016 Mazda CX5, 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure, 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Acs

« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 17, 08:18 »
I've had my Asus laptop for 9 years and is still going strong. I've had to replace the battery once, but that's it. Has everything I need and I'll have it until it's completely dead

aba16v

« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 17, 09:32 »
Buy something used and put a SSD in it. Intel has had such minor improvements in processor efficiency over the last 5 years that you're wasting your money buying something new. An I5/I7 thinkpad that's upgradable to 8gb of ram will be plenty. Use a basic bench mark to compare CPUs https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Don't buy some chromebook intel atom garbage, have a couple $200 dells at work and although they function the keyboards are cheap and they're too slow for daily use. Time is money, you'll waste time get frustrated and replace it in a year or two. You need a SSD to use windows 10 efficiently and 8gb of ram is preferred. Other than battery life from a ~20% power efficiency improvement on new chips unless you're in that 800-1200US sweet spot it's not worth buying new.

I've got a half dozen laptops on the go and the best running one is my 6+ year old dell XPS L501x.
-1080P LED screen
- 8gb of ram
- 2.9ghz quad core
- 20W JBL speaker setup with a built in sub.
- backlit keys
- 1tb sshd swapped in (running w7)

and they're worth maybe 400 bucks now used. There's better options, but other than being a little heavy this thing still tops most of the offerings on the market. I bought it in Feb 2011. 

As an example
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/sys/d/lenovo-thinkpad-t440p-i7-8gb/6305312572.html

You could probably find something similar for around 400, maybe 300, then buy a 500gb samsung 850 evo and call it good. A newer gen higher clock I5 will suit most of your use better than a quad core, depending on how much you plan on throwing at a small screen. If you plan to plug it into a monitor at some point, a quad core and USB C might be worth considering.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 17, 09:39 by aba16v »

witchcraftz

• Testers
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 17, 14:31 »
I personally want: a decent processor, 4GB+ RAM, a great screen, SSD and touchscreen.

Here are some used ones to look for and that are pretty cheap right now and fit those requirements:

Aspire V14
HP Envy
Lenovo Flex 2
Samsung Series 5

aba16v

« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 17, 14:38 »
Budget? that's really the biggest deciding factor.

superchicken

• Chopper Togger
« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 17, 20:03 »
These days I'd say 8GB is the bare minimum for RAM.
flickr.com/iangwills
facebook.com/iangwills

nature boy

« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 17, 14:37 »
i bought my asus transformer t200 almost 3 years ago and it is still running strong.  I use it for doing presentations at work, light surfing and preparing documents and aside from a couple slight hiccups in memory management, it has been solid (running windows 10 as soon as the free upgrade from windows 8 came out).  I like how i can detach the monitor to act like a tablet (however i rarely use that function), as portability was huge for me (i used to travel more for work).  I would have liked a bigger screen (i think it is 10.1"), but again, portability.  i can put this thing in my everyday satchel and get work done wherever i go.

the best part is i got it brand new for less than $400.

Abbythug

• Testers
« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 17, 12:06 »
Following this, I need another for work soon
Currently using an hp g60 that I got new 8 years ago. Its getting quite slow now though
You gonna be a fucking smartass in every thread you find?
                                                                        -bigdaddyroth

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #16 on: Oct 11, 17, 15:35 »
our cheap workstation laptop was about $1600. pretty solid little machine.

aba16v

« Reply #18 on: Oct 11, 17, 18:40 »
junk processor. A duo core with higher clocks would be much better suited. On CPU passmark this thing scores 1850.

My quad core XPS from early 2011 scores 5540.

The E8500 duo core from 2008 benches about 2300, I would consider that the bare minimum. A SSD is a must for windows 10.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 17, 18:42 by aba16v »

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #19 on: Oct 11, 17, 18:49 »
junk processor. A duo core with higher clocks would be much better suited. On CPU passmark this thing scores 1850.

My quad core XPS from early 2011 scores 5540.

The E8500 duo core from 2008 benches about 2300, I would consider that the bare minimum. A SSD is a must for windows 10.
SSD is easily the way to go with all the cloud storage options now days.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk