Author Topic: Laptop/Graphics Card Advice  (Read 3045 times)

Myrica

• Red.
Laptop/Graphics Card Advice
« on: Oct 26, 17, 21:10 »
I haven't had an actual computer in ages, but I'm looking to get something with the intention of photo editing.

Any recommendations for laptops (I don't want a desktop) and/or associated graphics cards? I know next to nothing about this anymore, so any suggestions on where to start would be awesome!

TIA

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

2003 Wolfsburg Jetta - APR Stage 2
2018 Golf R on order <3
IG @_myrica

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
Re: Laptop/Graphics Card Advice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 17, 21:19 »
Surface has touch input which would be super nice plus i find the colours accurate and vivid on them.

Myrica

• Red.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 17, 21:23 »
Surface has touch input which would be super nice plus i find the colours accurate and vivid on them.
Ah, I had forgotten about surface. The colour thing is definitely a must

2018 Golf R on order <3
IG @_myrica

Jeremy Sawatzky #2

• Hodor
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 17, 06:55 »
If its just photo editing I wanted, I think a Surface would be top of my list as well.
2005 BMW 325i, 2016 Mazda CX5, 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure, 2006 Yamaha FZ6

aba16v

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 17, 12:15 »
The newest surface doesn't come with a USB C and is far from a desktop replacement, really nice rig but it's fairly basic for IO. A dell xps or equivalent would work well for business use, asus ROG or similar for more home/desktop replacement. Bigger the GPU, the worse the battery life.

Might not be a huge issue now, but 2 years from now when everything is running USB C and there's full size GPU replacements, drive banks, and docks for desktop use are more popular, you might find yourself looking to upgrade again.
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 17, 12:16 by aba16v »

Myrica

• Red.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 17, 12:30 »
The newest surface doesn't come with a USB C and is far from a desktop replacement, really nice rig but it's fairly basic for IO. A dell xps or equivalent would work well for business use, asus ROG or similar for more home/desktop replacement. Bigger the GPU, the worse the battery life.

Might not be a huge issue now, but 2 years from now when everything is running USB C and there's full size GPU replacements, drive banks, and docks for desktop use are more popular, you might find yourself looking to upgrade again.
Good thoughts, thanks. I definitely want my next one to be something that I'll have for a while, even if it requires a few upgrades down the road.

I'll be wanting it for photo editing mainly, but also other basic things. I just want the thing to run well. I hate poor quality stuff but I don't know enough to make that call, yet.

2018 Golf R on order <3
IG @_myrica

aba16v

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 17, 15:22 »
I bought a XPSL502X with the 1080P screen, 8gb of ram, I7 2630qm and 9 cell battery back in March 2011 for 1500 bucks. It has 20W built in JBL speakers with a sub and had a solid keyboard (recently replaced after many years of abuse and regularly using it with dirty hands in garages). Other than battery life, which is still ~4 hours with my aftermarket battery replacement, weight, and the mechanical drive (you should get a ssd), it hasn't dated much. I use this thing daily at work and home, and lugged it around University for 3 years.

I'm not looking forward to replacing it, don't want to give up the speakers and other than USB C and power efficiency nothing has really changed with intel. If you buy high end with the right components you can future proof for a long period, this thing will be relevant into 2020, just like an E8500 windows 7 build would be okay today. My co worker has the new XPS and it's really slick.

Money would be best spent on a high end used laptop and a solid state drive to replace the existing mechanical. Most laptops aren't hard to work on other than some cases only being designed to come apart once or twice before clips start breaking. 8gb of ram is the minimum. I'd consider waiting to see if AMD APUs for mobile use are any good if you're looking to drop ~1500 on something new. Their new processors are competitive, the newest xbox will be running them and tesla/apple are doing some big projects too.
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 17, 18:49 by aba16v »

Myrica

• Red.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 17, 20:15 »
I bought a XPSL502X with the 1080P screen, 8gb of ram, I7 2630qm and 9 cell battery back in March 2011 for 1500 bucks. It has 20W built in JBL speakers with a sub and had a solid keyboard (recently replaced after many years of abuse and regularly using it with dirty hands in garages). Other than battery life, which is still ~4 hours with my aftermarket battery replacement, weight, and the mechanical drive (you should get a ssd), it hasn't dated much. I use this thing daily at work and home, and lugged it around University for 3 years.

I'm not looking forward to replacing it, don't want to give up the speakers and other than USB C and power efficiency nothing has really changed with intel. If you buy high end with the right components you can future proof for a long period, this thing will be relevant into 2020, just like an E8500 windows 7 build would be okay today. My co worker has the new XPS and it's really slick.

Money would be best spent on a high end used laptop and a solid state drive to replace the existing mechanical. Most laptops aren't hard to work on other than some cases only being designed to come apart once or twice before clips start breaking. 8gb of ram is the minimum. I'd consider waiting to see if AMD APUs for mobile use are any good if you're looking to drop ~1500 on something new. Their new processors are competitive, the newest xbox will be running them and tesla/apple are doing some big projects too.
Thanks for this, that's super helpful. I haven't bought a laptop in about 10 years so I'm not sure what's the minimum standards anymore, though a quick Google search has been bringing me up to speed too.

I've got a local shop in mind that maybe I'll pop in to see what they have for higher end used units that they can upgrade for me. I've got some learning to do before doing a lot of it myself, though I'm pretty good at following instructions Otherwise I'd be willing to spend ~2k (more?) on something new if it was going to last and had everything I wanted.

« Last Edit: Oct 27, 17, 20:16 by Myrica »
2018 Golf R on order <3
IG @_myrica

Jeremy Sawatzky #2

• Hodor
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 17, 07:02 »
other than USB C and power efficiency nothing has really changed with intel.

no kidding, the processor game has been stagnant for a long while now. My 4 year old i7 6 core cpu is still pulling strong against even the new new stuff. I just tossed a 1070 in the tower and it feels like a new machine. Although an upgrade to the 120gb ssd main drive would be a nice feature along with an upgrade to windows 10.
2005 BMW 325i, 2016 Mazda CX5, 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure, 2006 Yamaha FZ6

aba16v

« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 17, 14:04 »
Go 500 or you'll regret it after awhile, 850 evos should be under 200 black friday.

8700K is the first intel processor in awhile that looks really appealing, they've brought the price down a lot now that they've got competition.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 17, 14:05 by aba16v »