Author Topic: iOS or Android or Other?  (Read 14747 times)

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
iOS or Android or Other?
« on: Mar 11, 15, 21:35 »
Who uses what and why?

If you switch at some point why did you switch? What do you miss about the other platform?

cpa93

Re: iOS or Android or Other?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 15, 21:40 »
In for answers. Hopefully someone who has went from iOS to android.
Always consider an android but I find most opinions based without iOS experience

Wolfsburgs Finest

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 15, 22:01 »
I just switched from iOS to android cause telus offered me a Galaxy Alpha for free. After a bunch of apple phones in a row I thought I'd give it a try. I have to say I'm pretty pleased. For all intents and purposes, the interface is pretty similar. It's pretty intuitive and after a couple days I was used to the little differences. I'm finding it's more customizable than iOS...it's more flexible in how you can configure things. It sucks to have to replace all your apps though...especially the ones you paid for. I wasn't unhappy with apple, but I wouldn't write off an android phone after this experience.

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 15, 22:07 »
On my 3rd iPhone. I currently have a 6 and I've been using iPhones for 6 years.

I see no reason to change as there's nothing an android can do that I am missing with my iPhone.
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 15, 22:13 »
On my 3rd iPhone. I currently have a 5S and I've been using iPhones for 4 years.

I see no reason to change as there's nothing an android can do that I am missing with my iPhone.

This. Bolded parts mine.
'81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |   '96 YZF750R

mikeonfire

• mk1's - endangered species
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 15, 22:40 »
still using iphone 4 :)

ios 6 jailbroken
92 Gti VR6
83 Coupe 2.0

TheSteve

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 15, 23:00 »
Got an iphone 4 a few months after it was released - amazing product for the day. Android couldn't touch it. Used it for 2.5 years and then switched to Android. Pretty pleased to say I am "Apple-Free" having now used Android for nearly 2 years. If you're immersed in the Apple eco-system though then I say enjoy your iphone. If you want a phone that can be customized or just played with more then I highly recommend an Android. I love that it is easy to root my 2014 Moto X, make some subtle changes to it such as adding adblocking. I like that I can just copy files to/from it via usb or wifi, no itunes/software needed. I also have several free apps that people have created that don't exist for Apple. And I quite like my Moto 360.
So I don't see myself ever switching back, but I won't say it could never happen.
'04 TR .:R32
'12 Tiguan 4 Motion

aba16v

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 15, 23:07 »
There's no such thing as a free phone, that's what your contract is for. I will never get a new phone or a contract again unless I'm forced, you're throwing money out the window for an interest packed payment plan, on hardware that isn't proven, to a provider you can't easily ditch.

I got an iphone 4 as my first phone when they there first released and loved it to death.  Had it for 3.5 years, and used it for everything from budgeting apps to music and GPS. With the exception of the odd hidden "update" and blackscreening, it was flawless, no app problems nothing. Locked in with rogers @ $65/month (fees in price) on a 3 year contract. After that 3 year contract, they would not drop my rate and I had to pay a $100 "deactivation/unlocking" fee to swap providers . I was pissed, gave the phone to a family member, and bought a used galaxy S4 unlocked. I bought it a few months after they were released for 500 with a bunch of extras, paid $11.5 to activate it, and then $43/month everything in (NS tax rates, so sub-40 here) for more features than I had before, and $5/100mb overage.

Iphone:
Very basic phone, perfect size, flawless apps, I don't know how people broke the screens on these things. battery lasted the day if I wasn't using it excessively, lasts a lot longer with wifi/data off and only used selectively.  I had the phone figured out the first day I had it, with no help from google.

The S4 by comparison:

- It took me a couple weeks to get used to it, and understanding how the OS/ app system worked. It's far more complicated and the possibilities are endless.
- Swapping providers is as simple as buying a $10 sim card and entering an unlock code
- You can also swap SD cards, say keep a second card for shooting videos, or just upgrade to 128gb without it being a several hundred dollar option
- You can also swap the battery easily, and upgrades are cheaper. I run a 7400mmAh (replaced by 7800 on amazon) anker battery pack that tripled my battery life. I get 2-3 days and use my phone a lot, using it all day + gps and photos I'd still easily last the day, it's a 29WHR battery, most laptops aren't double that.
- Photo quality is amazing, I've taken shots with all of the newer iphones, and they're all shit. More MPs doesn't fix the fact that the sensors are cheap, low lighting and anything outside of a 20-30ft range usually doesn't turn out well, but the iphone 6 is a decent improvement.
- Once every couple weeks or so I have to reset it because something weird is going on, either the wifi isn't connecting, data isn't working, whatever, it takes about 10 seconds so I really don't mind
- Google+ features are awesome but a little creepy

If you want a phone that's easy to use, plays music, can run a budgeting app, internet, take selfies and family photos, play games, and also function as a piece of jewelry, get an iphone.

If you want a phone that is top of the line in all performance aspects, computing, camera quality, battery life, usability, etc and comes with a less user-friendly but more usable operating system, get an android. Replacement parts are cheaper, the user base is more educated on their device and it's features, they can be heavily tweaked, and are both cheaper to purchase and own. The options are endless, I went samsung because I trust and support the company, but there's other phones out there.

Personally, and I know it's biased, I cannot comprehend the next phone I'll own. The S4 does everything I could ever ask of it, and shy of better battery life and a better camera (I have a DSLR) I have no reason to ever upgrade. I always knew the iphone 4 would be replaced, but I can honestly see myself keeping this phone for a long time, especially since fewer phones let you pull the internals now. I would buy a used S4 in a heart beat over any new phone. If you want a real camera, get a DSLR, if you want jewelry, go buy a nice watch and talk to people instead of waving a phone around to try to seem important. This phone does everything, outperforms the iphone 6 in every category, is under 1/4 the price and is nearly 2 years old now.

I'd like to see an iphone pull this off. You have to right click "view original" to have it re-sized back near original format, it still loses some image quality, but you get the idea.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rga1lzjscfb5zqf/AAC4br_B4ljuN1jV4NjXqu9ia?dl=0#lh:null-20141002_154238.jpg
No filters, edits, nada. I just left it in auto-normal and was still enough for it to focus half decently, on 16:9 which is only 9.6 MP (13 requires 4:3 and I was using default settings). The phone performs a good amount better if you fiddle around with the settings, but I wanted to see what it could do.

I think you have to have something wrong with you to buy a newer apple product. It's not just about the money, you're buying an inferior product for more, and on what basis? it looks pretty and you want it?

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 15, 23:26 by aba16v »

carguy

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 15, 23:23 »
Ios and android both based on linux

Blackberry more secure

TheSteve

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 15, 09:46 »

Blackberry more secure

IOS has nothing to do with Linux, it derives its origin from BSD.
'04 TR .:R32
'12 Tiguan 4 Motion

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 15, 10:04 »
In for answers. Hopefully someone who has went from iOS to android.
Always consider an android but I find most opinions based without iOS experience  to my job and this site. The ability to do anything I want is my reasoning.
Full customization. Full inter app sharing. Google's Music Streaming service > iTunes.

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 15, 10:06 »

Blackberry more secure

Blackberry is not as secure as you think. And for most personal users they don't even know how to use it securely at all.

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 15, 10:13 »
Is blackberry still around? :suspicious:
'81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |   '96 YZF750R

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 15, 10:56 »
Is blackberry still around? :suspicious:

yeah they went all classic

CouchSurfer

• Testers
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 15, 14:23 »
Never owned an iPhone, and don't ever plan to. I used Blackberry's when they were cool, then used the Galaxy S3, S4, and now the HTC One M8.

The HTC is my absolute favourite phone I've ever put my hands on.

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 15, 14:34 »
I'm looking at my co workers m8.......it and the g2 bump back regularly :suspicious:

carguy

« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 15, 15:17 »
Bsd and linux both unix like   both use some of same software
Google search it

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 15, 15:38 »
So what's your point Blackberry is Unix as well.

carguy

« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 15, 17:43 »
Point?  there is a common root way back

Android is best
Apple got the $,  terrible cameras and battery life
Blackberry true multi tasking and some like the keyboard , more secure

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 15, 18:28 »
Its not more secure though.......only pin to pin is secure and even that is not secure. Otherwise many drug dealers wouldn't be behind bars currently.