Author Topic: iOS or Android or Other?  (Read 14746 times)

mk5GLI

Re: iOS or Android or Other?
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 15, 23:15 »
Just upgraded my iPhone 5 to a 6.  Love it!  Have tried a few Android phones with work, and never liked the user interface or the phones in general.  I would never leave Apple!
2016 Jetta GLI- Autobahn Edition | H&R Street Performance Coils | CTS Air Intake | CTS Muffler Delete | CTS Throttle Pipe | OEM Euro SS Kit | CTS Turbo Outlet Pipe | CTS Billet Subframe Mount

carguy

« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 15, 01:10 »
Secure?

You are right, no privacy anywhere, all smart phones, computers anything connected. Has a backdoor.

83RedRoc

« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 15, 09:11 »
Although unless youre doing something stupid does it matter? 

Android all the way here.

If your not technically inclined in any way get an iphone.   That way everyone else with an iphone can help you.  They are all the same.    However your paying for a V12 and getting a 2 cylinder essentially.    They cost more than a comparable android phone that will have better build quality, will have anywhere from a 4 core to an 8 core processor.   Better Memory, Better storage, Better Battery,  and most of all customization.   I'm surprised that a community of people that likes to customize cars so they are 'theirs'  go with iphones.   You can't customize shit.  You just recently were able to change your keyboard... I did that 3 years ago.      My phone from 3 years ago has better specs as well.   

I use a Samusng Note 3 now.  ( previously G2, N4, HTC S, Acer Liquid )   For what I do at work as a designer its great I can take  a picture of something, measure it all up and draw it directly on the picture on my screen.   Then go back to my desk and build whatever I need to in 3d.   It has enough power to also take that same 3d model and view it, in Autodesks viewer for our sales staff and customers.   Which just blows them away.  " Can I do that on my iphone? "   No.. you cant.   Photoshpheres of completed units  projects are a great feature that android has had for a long time. 

nature boy

« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 15, 13:07 »
i've used all mobile platforms extensively since 2007ish.  my daily is a blackberry z30 for the screen size and really solid virtual keyboard and productivity features (bb10 hub is the best for messaging, nothing else comes close).  but no one can deny that blackberry sucks ballz when it comes to app selection.  even with the ability to run android apps, they're laggy at best.  i still use a couple android apps (shazam and songza), but not much.

i also have an ipad (to go with my wife's fleet of iphones which i also use from time to time) and multitasking is a pain, however the apps are largely more stable and aesthetically pleasing than any other platform (and our kids love ios). i rarely have any stability issues with ios and finding an app to do something for you is a breeze.  i won't carry an iphone as a daily though because it's more of an entertainment unit or cool accessory than a communication tool.

i've been using an android tablet for work, and while it can do basically everything ios can in the way of apps, i found that it's not as stable as it is more prone to crashing for various reasons.  however, i really like the widgets as i can get a lot of information just by glancing at my homescreen.  i doubt i would use an android phone though, as i'm not huge fan of google and how android has a bunch of shit put on by every manufacturer that touches it.  however, getting a nexus (or whatever they're going to be calling it) is probably the best way to go if going with android.

i also have a windows 8 phone (running 8.1) and a windows 8 tablet.  while everyone likes to complain about windows 8 (mostly because haters gonna hate), i actually find it pleasing to the eye and easy to use.  although, i prefer the os on my phone than on my tablet.  it still has bugs, but i really like the live tiles telling me stuff all the time, and how customizable my homescreen can be (on my phone, not my tablet).  used the windows 8 phone as my daily for a while but couldn't stand the keyboard and had to give it up (i type a lot on my phone).

tl;dr:
blackberry: good productivity, shit apps (and people gonna hate on bb all day and night)
ios: great apps, good looking devices, but issues with being labelled an "isheep"
android: good customizability, buggy (however i've used android the least of all 4, so it could just be my device)
win8: nice ui, but going the way of blackberry in terms of popularity and "cool" factor

and security doesn't really mean much when it comes to phones.  however, blackberry IS the most secure out of them all (or else governments and cops wouldn't be using them still).  however, being "most secure" only means everyone else is just less secure.

83RedRoc

« Reply #24 on: Apr 02, 15, 07:54 »
Just picked up a oneplus one.

Damn nice phone espeically for 299/349 USD.

Feels very HTC in build quality.   its very SOLID.   the sandstone back is quite  a nice feeling,  easy to grip which for a phone of this size is nice.    Much faster than than my Note3, and since I like to install ROMs, and tinker its a great choice.

Now just waiting for WIND to release their lollipop update as I mistakenly flashed a bell modem on the note.  ooops.

Myrica

• Red.
« Reply #25 on: Jul 18, 15, 15:18 »
Just picked up a oneplus one.

Damn nice phone espeically for 299/349 USD.

Feels very HTC in build quality.   its very SOLID.   the sandstone back is quite  a nice feeling,  easy to grip which for a phone of this size is nice.    Much faster than than my Note3, and since I like to install ROMs, and tinker its a great choice.

Now just waiting for WIND to release their lollipop update as I mistakenly flashed a bell modem on the note.  ooops.
I'm hearing good things from the OnePlus crowd. I'm debating on whether to wait for the OnePlus 2 or get the Samsung S6.. anyone have the S6? From what I've been reading it's really leaps about the issues Samsung was having with their S4 and 5.

I currently have the S3 and switched at from the iPhone 4 for no other reason than that Apple didn't seem to be offering anything new and I wanted to try something else. Now that I've been Android, I think I'm here to stay.
2003 Wolfsburg Jetta - APR Stage 2
2018 Golf R on order <3
IG @_myrica

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #26 on: Jul 18, 15, 15:22 »
Samsung sucks IMO I've used them and frankly I really don't like them. Personally I would stick with the phone I got (LG G4) or go with the new nexus 5. Samsung is trying desperately to get off Android and use their own BS OS. Oneplus at least is using pure Android no crap.

Myrica

• Red.
« Reply #27 on: Jul 18, 15, 15:31 »
Samsung sucks IMO I've used them and frankly I really don't like them. Personally I would stick with the phone I got (LG G4) or go with the new nexus 5. Samsung is trying desperately to get off Android and use their own BS OS. Oneplus at least is using pure Android no crap.
What about Samsung sucks in your opinion? The S6 appears to have a much sleeker form and claims to not be as bloated as some of their others. I've had a chance to play with the OnePlus 1 and it definitely has the functionality and also sleek. From what I've been reading the 2 and the S6 could be in pretty close competition.
2018 Golf R on order <3
IG @_myrica

83RedRoc

« Reply #28 on: Jul 19, 15, 08:15 »
Its actually not a fair comparison between Samsung of old and the newer s6 and up stuff.   It got a lot better,  I'm now onto a g4 and its a great phone,  camera blows anything away,  but outside of that it's fairly unremarkable..  It works very well...  Battery life is not outstanding due to the screen but you can swap them.

The SD card slot was kind of a must so I can take my card out of my uav and check the footage before leaving a job.   So that ruled out any new s phone for me or the oneplus.   

Myrica

• Red.
« Reply #29 on: Jul 19, 15, 13:48 »
I kind of feel like I'm not techy enough to fully appreciate the OnePlus plus, but I suppose the same could be said for most of the top phones for me. I was disappointed to see that you couldn't add an SD card or remove the battery in the newest S. I'm so torn. I really want the 'best' phone out there, but that's pretty relative.

Also, I don't like the idea of waiting forever for an invite to get the OnePlus 2...

Anyone with the S6 want to chime in? I'm going see if my carrier will do a try out and return if I don't like it.

2018 Golf R on order <3
IG @_myrica

the bartender

• I control the horizontal, and the vertical
« Reply #30 on: Jul 19, 15, 15:52 »
The SD card slot was kind of a must so I can take my card out of my uav and check the footage before leaving a job.   So that ruled out any new s phone for me or the oneplus.   

You should pick up a USB OTG cable.  It will give you lots of options, and is faster to use than swapping internal cards (unless the 1+ is externally accessible)