Author Topic: Home Wifi help  (Read 3241 times)

Joker

• Global Moderator
  • Blood Spit and Tears
Home Wifi help
« on: Feb 08, 16, 10:49 »
Ok, so I have shaw internet and I'm using the Cisco modem/router that they give you. My wifi absolutely sucks, we have shaw 25mb high speed, yet by the time the signal reaches upstairs it sometimes drops down to 2-5mb.

The moden is in the garage which is directly under the living room. Trying to watch Netflix at night it almsost impossible.

So, I need some help and suggestions. What do I need to buy to get this sorted out and fixed.

Thanks
.:Stage Awesome:.

killerb09

Re: Home Wifi help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 16, 11:36 »
You need to call them and get them to install a wifi expander, I had a similar problem with my Wifi.  Make sure they know your are paying for X but only getting Y and they should do it for free.

There is likely something interfering with your 2.4ghz signal limiting it's power, we have had to move to 5ghz to get full power at 50mb.

It took the tech easily 2 hours to diagnois, install and repair the issues I had.

RiffRaff

« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 16, 11:41 »
under garage could mean under a slab of concrete and rebar , its not always a distance factor it can also be an obstruction issue ! Do you have a potential place to install / relocate modem to a more central area in the house with less construction berries between the rooms requiring wifi ? and a repeater/ expander is always a plus since floor plans can be challenging.

RiffRaff

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 16, 11:44 »
in addition this might also help rule out a bad connector or a damaged wire . how new in the construction of your home ? do all the cable ends terminate in a central media box with telephone and then use splitters to distribute to the rest of the house? There may be a huge amount of interference caused by that.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 16, 11:48 by RiffRaff »

new87gtiowner

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 16, 12:14 »
The Cisco modem from Shaw is garbage and has constant connectivity and distance issues.
Best bet is to purchase a router and have shaw bridge your Cisco and you should then have no issues

hellgti

« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 16, 12:21 »
We had nothing but issues with shaw. Overserving our area, peak times were impossible to even use it. Then got to the point where our internet would just drop completely. They never sent a tech. Always maintained our old router they supplied was fine. Finally switched to telus. Never had faster service. Can watch NHL, Netflix and download at the same time on multiple devices. Of course when shaw retainment called they said it was defiantly our router that was the issue.
Take care of each other out there. everyone here is my brother, let's make sure everybody goes home safe. Alright, let's stomp some heads. - Scott Vogel

superchicken

• Chopper Togger
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 16, 12:55 »
Get a powerline ethernet adapter with wifi built in.  Plug the transmitter into your modem and plug it into the wall.  Plug the repeater in near your TV, and plug the TV directly in via ethernet.

http://ca.dlink.com/products/connect/powerline-av-500-wireless-extender-kit/

AV500 isn't the best option, but this is probably the simplest solution for you.  I did something similar to this for our house, using a second router in AP mode connected to a powerline AV extender.  Not ideal and I would have rather done the solution below:

If it were my house, I'd man up and run an Ethernet wire from the Shaw modem to the center of your house, and put a Ubiquiti AP Pro there.

https://store.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-pro.html

flickr.com/iangwills
facebook.com/iangwills

Joker

• Global Moderator
  • Blood Spit and Tears
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 16, 11:28 »
I guess I should clarify, I live in a townhouse, buildings are only 5 years old.
The garage is just a regulag garage, concrete floor, but the main level floors are just standard wood.

I have had Shaw in her numerous time to fix the issue, they said they "fixed" it the last time, it got better, but now its just shit again.

I have used those extender kits before, best i got was 13-16mb, but then Shaw came and "fixed" it and it was good so we stopped using it, but its crap now.

Thats why i figured i maybe need an actual new seperate moden and wifi router.
.:Stage Awesome:.

bootymac

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 16, 12:02 »
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 20, 10:29 by bootymac »

Jeremy Sawatzky #2

• Hodor
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 16, 10:27 »
The Cisco modem from Shaw is garbage and has constant connectivity and distance issues.
Best bet is to purchase a router and have shaw bridge your Cisco and you should then have no issues

Yes the supplied modem router combo is complete shit. Ask for a plain modem and pickup your own router.
2005 BMW 325i, 2016 Mazda CX5, 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure, 2006 Yamaha FZ6