Author Topic: Home Network set-up  (Read 2306 times)

Big Daddy Roth

• Testers
Home Network set-up
« on: Sep 20, 16, 11:33 »
I need a little guidance on setting up my home network.

My internet access is wifi via cable dsl modem/router (landlord). I have no physical access to it. I can access it's setting via IP / login.

The wifi-signal to my suite is weak, so I purchased a DAP-1650 extender.

I also have a DIR-820L wifi router.

I had the notion that I would feed my router with an Ethernet cable from the extender. Thus networking all my devices together off my router.
I'm having trouble getting things set-up. I don't need wifi from the extender (or do I? and ditch the router?), so I think I can clink turn those radios off.

I want my network separate from my landlords gear. I somehow think I can dedicate myself an IP range and perhaps some bandwidth?

I have no idea how to properly set this up. Maybe some windows set-up guidance too.

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
Re: Home Network set-up
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 16, 11:37 »
Oh jesus um let me think on this one

Big Daddy Roth

• Testers
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 16, 12:11 »
Put the 1650 into bridge mode and dedicate an IP?

Big Daddy Roth

• Testers
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 16, 13:50 »
I think bridge mode is what I want.

I have the router wired to the extender. Router wifi is set-up. TV and phone connect fine. Win 10 laptops do not connect.

beermeat

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 16, 18:01 »
If the ISP is Shaw, I did this with my old landlord before I moved. Shaw will provide up to 2 IP addresses on their "Gateway's" so what you can do is hook up your own router directly to the Gateway... your landlord just need to call Shaw support and request a second IP address. Once it is provisioned you will hook up your router from the Internet port to any port on the gateway device, power cycle and your router should get it's own dedicated IP address... then use as if you normally would if it were your own ISP.
1992 MKII Golf GTi --> 1995 MKIII Passat GLS VR6 --> 1998.5 MKIII Golf --> 2000 MKIV Golf --> 2003 GTI VR6 24V --> 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro

Big Daddy Roth

• Testers
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 16, 16:44 »
The very first thing to do here is un-install McAffee off all my shit....

I set up the extender in "extend" mode and connected the router via Ethernet. Everything more or less works, but I have some things to do.

My TV doesn't listen to 5Ghz wifi, so I may have to hard-wire it for x-fer rates.

I believe I need some sort of media server. Connecting my 1TB usb drive to the router does not provide what I want. If I set-up a home group on my Laptop, my Laptop becomes the server. I need something dedicated. Suggestions?

I'll see if I can get a second IP address. The modem is outdated too, No 5GHz wifi.
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 16, 16:46 by Big Daddy Roth »

Big Daddy Roth

• Testers
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 16, 09:15 »
Dropped the USB drive, now I really need that NAS device.