Author Topic: Drones  (Read 13469 times)

MrPapageorgio

• Your Mom smells of BALLZ
Drones
« on: Feb 04, 16, 15:35 »
Anyone have one??  scored a Parrot minidrone.... lots of fun... still in the learning mode.... Used to fly R/C aircraft
1988 Cabriolet AZUR..., 1984 Cabriolet Wolfsburg Edition...2000 Beetle GLS 1.8T
Speeding is like masturbation, everyone does it ,but it's not something you should record and put on the internet!!

Vangruver

• Don't bite styles, bite nipples cuz she's freaky
Re: Drones
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 16, 15:50 »
Getting one.

A few of my snowboard friends have DJI's [one has a phantom 3 professional, one has a dual operator inspire, and another one has 2 inspires]  and and film quite often with them.

http://iconosquare.com/viewer.php#/detail/1160389874830334842_347823637

MrPapageorgio

• Your Mom smells of BALLZ
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 16, 16:24 »
1988 Cabriolet AZUR..., 1984 Cabriolet Wolfsburg Edition...2000 Beetle GLS 1.8T
Speeding is like masturbation, everyone does it ,but it's not something you should record and put on the internet!!

83RedRoc

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 16, 19:31 »
I have a phantom 2 vision + that  I use for hobby/buisness.

Lots of regulations to doing it legally.   He'll even for recreation your supposed to have insurance.   I carry 500k but that's in case I literally crash and burn on someone's house.

Also had to get my SFOC etc.

« Last Edit: Feb 04, 16, 20:20 by 83RedRoc »

superchicken

• Chopper Togger
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 16, 12:58 »
Drones are fun, but definitely know your responsibilities and the regulations before you power one on.  83RedRoc is on the right track, liability insurance and an SFOC are a big hurdle but all but mandatory for even the smallest of drones now. 

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-recavi-uav-2265.htm?WT.mc_id=21zwi

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regServ/affairs/exemptions/docs/en/2880.htm

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regserv/affairs/exemptions/docs/en/2879.htm

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/standards-4179.html

flickr.com/iangwills
facebook.com/iangwills

superchicken

• Chopper Togger
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 16, 12:59 »
Do:
Fly your drone during daylight and in good weather (not in clouds or fog).
Keep your drone in sight, where you can see it with your own eyes – not only through an on-board camera, monitor or smartphone.
Make sure your drone is safe for flight before take-off. Ask yourself, for example, are the batteries fully charged? Is it too cold to fly?
Know if you need to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate
Respect the privacy of others – avoid flying over private property or taking photos or videos without permission.

Don't Fly
Closer than 9 km from any airport, heliport, or aerodrome.
Higher than 90 metres above the ground.
Closer than 150 metres from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles.
In populated areas or near large groups of people, including sporting events, concerts, festivals, and firework shows.
Near moving vehicles, highways, bridges, busy streets or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers.
Within restricted and controlled airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, and forest fires.
Anywhere you may interfere with first responders.
flickr.com/iangwills
facebook.com/iangwills

jettas07

« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 16, 14:06 »
I used to have a drone but wasn't able to play with as much as I wanted to so I traded it for a Traxxas rc truck can play with it even in crappy weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83RedRoc

« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 16, 13:03 »
Just had a battery die during a shoot, thankfully it just piled into the customers lawn instead of through a window.

Stupid intelligent battery bullshit.   Apparenltly it was legit when I took off, but suspect half way through the flight so it rebooted.  Still haven't checked my gimbal but it seemed ok.   Time for a GPS tracker.

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 16, 20:47 »
That's kind of messed up but it makes sense.

Ghizer

68 Karmann Ghia - mid engine VR6 turbo - GT35, C2 stage3, C2 9:1 CR Plate, Autotech 262 cams, Bosch 42lb injectors, CX intercooler, LS Diff.

83RedRoc

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 16, 11:23 »
So gimbal was fine,  3d printed gimbal gaurd worked out well ,  all the motors were ok I need to service them its had a few hours on them now.

I've cleaned the pins on the battery mount and tested it all sorts of ways and couldn't get the battery issue to come up again.   But I've been about 800ft above a valley 1km away from me, had it happened then I'd probably still be looking for the shrapnel.   

MK5ville

« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 16, 12:35 »
Used to fly R/C aircraft
Aren't they still just R/C aircraft?  I must be getting old, calling an RC toy a drone is annoying as hell.
Cynic
07' S4 Avant, 6-speed, full of JHM goodies.

83RedRoc

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 16, 09:32 »
Actually they are more than R/C aircraft.

I can send my UAV ( term I prefer but no one knows wtf I'm talking about until I say drone ) on a pre-planned flight path with no interaction needed from me.  Now technically this is not legal however it can be done.   Even when I'm flying it it's gps locked to at least 6 sats and does fly itself to hold a shot steady or not get bounced around in the wind.   I can put it in full manual control,  to fly indoors or in situations I want the shot to drift.

I've had a few times that I've done shots with a heavy crosswind and watched it lean into the wind and hold it perfectly.  Pretty amazing technology.

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 16, 16:24 »
Why is the gps planned flight plan illegal? Excuse my ignorance on the subject. Is it just because it could end up in a flight path and the operator needs to be in control to correct it kind of thing?

83RedRoc

« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 16, 08:21 »
must have line of sight.   I  can fly first person view through the camera to... 1--1.5 km's before losing connections in ideal circumstances.  But that's much farther than I can maintain direct line of sight.    It also has no object avoidance, so if you are an idiot and set it to 100ft and there is a tree in your way.. well it's coming down.  Possibly on someone.

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 16, 12:57 »
That makes perfect sense

83RedRoc

« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 16, 20:00 »
It sure does.  However you can use a guided waypoint system to get near perfect shots, the new 3dr Solo can do 'cable cam' type shots where you show it the beginning shot, the ending shot and the rest it does on its own.   As long as you had line of sight, and were at the controls I don't think that's against the rules.. yet.

dubb121

« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 17, 02:40 »
Well, one of friend have phantom 4 professional and i am also looking for getting one. But i also found some of best drones in 2017 at http://www.fitdrones.com/best-drones-under-500-dollars/.

Jeremy Sawatzky #2

• Hodor
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 18, 14:15 »
Ive flown most of the dji lineup. Quite obviously the inspire was just awesome, feels like a muscle drone, The phantoms are ok but kinda boring and the mavic is just plain slow but incredible how small it is. Video or photo capabilities arent really my interest.

If I had the cash I would pick the inspire all day long
2005 BMW 325i, 2016 Mazda CX5, 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure, 2006 Yamaha FZ6

malamikigo

• pebbleandpine.ca
    • Phrozen Photography
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 18, 00:12 »
I've got the Mavic Pro....first time drone owner, and I friggin love it.  Is it as fast as higher-end drones?  No, of course not.....but the portability factor is just massive.  I can have it out of the bag and in the air in 30 seconds, and packed back up just as fast, and carry it around on a long hike like it's nothing at all.   My wife and I were in Iceland in October and I flew it daily there.  In my eyes, it only has two shortcomings that could be improved while staying at the same pricepoint:  higher resolution sensor for stills captures, and dual card slots for immediate backup of media.  Other than that, it's a hell of a tool for the money. 

Here's a 4 minute clip from in Iceland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pBGsZ8rsGU