Author Topic: Cutting the cord.  (Read 14921 times)

spltshft

Cutting the cord.
« on: Oct 20, 15, 22:02 »
So I made the move and cut my cable and decided that I would just stream everything to my chrome cast. I have come to the conclusion that my chromecast is not remotely up for the challenge. I was wondering if there was anyone else out there that has done the same and what is working for them.

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
Re: Cutting the cord.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 15, 22:22 »
I have zero issues and nothing but praise for my AppleTV. Probably gonna pick up the new model next week and move the current one to the bedroom.

What do you plan on streaming? Media on your computer and netflix?
'81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |   '96 YZF750R

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 15, 23:43 »
I have a nexus player and 2 apple tv's......the apple tv's collect dust the nexus player gets used 90% of the day. I run a plex server on my desktop in the den and it streams to the nexus player. My issue with the nexus player is it's lack of DTS support and Netflix is only in stereo for some fucked up reason. Personally i would run a plex server and if you don't care about sound quality get the next gen Apple TV that is about to be released. Plex has already made it's app for it.

hellgti

« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 15, 06:13 »
Xbox One and Plex in the media room.  Older WDtv in the bedroom. Never gets used tho.
Take care of each other out there. everyone here is my brother, let's make sure everybody goes home safe. Alright, let's stomp some heads. - Scott Vogel

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 15, 09:01 »
Personally i would run a plex server and if you don't care about sound quality get the next gen Apple TV that is about to be released. Plex has already made it's app for it.

What issues are you expecting the next gen AppleTV to have in terms of sound Nic?  I'm waiting for the next AppleTV to consider making Plex my primary media system since the iOS client for Plex is far and aware the nicest interface I've come across yet.  There is a Plex client for Samsung TV's that I use occasionally but the interface is a deterrent :(   Completely agree that the previous AppleTV's are a waste unless you a) already own it, b) watch only NetFlix.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 15, 09:02 by mithril »
Dear Lord. If we give you Justine Bieber and Miley Cyrus, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 15, 09:06 »
I'm not expecting DTS

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 15, 09:15 »
Processing or Passthru?
Dear Lord. If we give you Justine Bieber and Miley Cyrus, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 15, 09:17 »
Either. I am assuming it's going to handle it the same as the previous version which created a massive loss in quality.

vinister

« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 15, 09:22 »
look up sickbeard, couchpotato, and sabnzbd. You have to be a bit of a techie to set it up, but I have been using this combo for a few years, with xbmc (now Kodi) as a media player.  Once it's setup, its quite wife-friendly as well.  There are easy apps where you can type in shows and movies you want to watch, and they just magically show up on your media center, with little to no intervention.

You can run all 4 of these programs on a good NAS that has an HDMI output, such as the Qnap TS-251. The NAS doubles as your media storage (you can rip all your dvds etc onto it), music/photo storage, and in this day and age it's a good idea to have RAID storage at home.  Personally I have a little mini-itx pc built up and use Openelec (a dedicated OS version of Kodi that boots up near instantly and essentially is like an apple TV on steroids).  I run the 3 servers mentioned above on that box and just use my NAS to store the media.  However now that Qnap is selling a NAS that runs Kodi directly and has 7.1 passthrough, I would go that way if I was to do it again (fewer boxes).

Cost is ~ $10/month for a good newsgroup server and about $10/year for VIP access to a few newsgroup indexer sites.  Typically you need invites to get into these sites because they are hidden. Sometimes the sites get taken down and you need to find another one.  None of this is "legal" btw.

Once its setup, you just go to the url of your server (which you can setup for remote access using the ddns service that's likely built into your router).  There is a search box, you type in the name of the show you want to download. It finds the show, gets all the episode infos and graphics and all that, and starts downloading episodes.  As long as it's less than 4-5 years old, it usually gets them all.  Then they are automatically extracted, cleaned, renamed, etc etc and moved onto your storage, where your media center automatically picks them up and adds them to your shows list.  Same process for movies.  You just type in what you want, and it gets it for you.  It also suggests movies you might like based on what's in your library.

Then you have a nice interface (Kodi) you can control with your remote or the phone app (I use yatse, its great).  Kodi plays all media formats known to man, has 7.1 passthrough, and is easy enough for non-techies to use.  You can setup different profiles per user, and it keeps track of what you have watched, suggests the next episode of your show, etc.  Since we use our phones as the remote, it's a bit too complicated for a babysitter to use, but the bonus is we can do it from anywhere so we can start/stop movies for them while we're out.

You can run this setup a thousand different ways.  I even have Kodi running on an older HTC phone hooked up to my TV in my bedroom, and it works perfectly, but has no storage obviously.   If you want to take Kodi for a spin, download it on your android phone, then download "Kodi Configurator", which sets up a bunch of free streaming services on there for you.   Personally I rather download the shows/movies so that I have them stored locally, but a lot of people just rely on the streaming options.

Oh, and you can run plex server too, concurrently with all this.  But I find that's only useful if you want to watch stuff you have stored at home, while you're on the go.  I use this when I'm travelling, I can stream shows to my phone from my home server.  The big advantage of Plex is that it transcodes on the fly, so even if your files are 1080p, you can watch them on a mobile connection, and it will reduce the quality automatically to keep it streaming smoothly.  However the cost of Plex is definitely a deterrent for such a limited use.

MK5ville

« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 15, 13:38 »

Lots of words and short forms

This is exactly why I'm a slave to Cable.
Cynic
07' S4 Avant, 6-speed, full of JHM goodies.

deuces_wild

boomfunk

« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 15, 09:34 »
I have a dedicated htpc running sabnzbd and sonarr (had sickbeard for a few years before but it stopped being updated and sonarr is well worth the switch)
if that thing was any more sleeper it\'d be comatose

aba16v

« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 15, 10:26 »
I can't even get a decent wired connection here  :stupid:  went from 170/70 in a small town out east to a "50/5" that's heavily throttled and run through two phone cables. That's the best available in Richmond too, unless you're in a new high rise. They have laws in place that won't allow companies to dig up the roads. Personally I've already preferred having the physical files, you often get better quality, and it's always available same day/ when you want it.

oh, you mean TV cable. People still use that?  :lol:

In the past I've just run a 2tb 3.0 external that I plug into the TV. Full length 1080P videos (2.5gb) would take ~5 minutes to download and I had netflix atop that. Now I'd like to setup a seedbox with 10tb on a desktop that's wired to the TV with a wireless keyboard and mouse, but I have bandwidth limits and get the odd piracy letter even though I proxy.

I'd say your best/easiest option is to use a laptop with a good external like these little fellas http://www.amazon.ca/Passport-Portable-External-Backup-WDBMWV0020BBK-NESN/dp/B00E055H5O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445620949&sr=8-2&keywords=western+digital+external+hard+drive   and just get netflix

- Shows are available within a couple hours (tops) of release
- You can store hundreds of hours of HD film
- No problems with streaming
- Connection is controlled manually so it is never compromised unknowingly (many stream companies or free VPNs such as HULU do steal bandwidth)

Most of Vancouver still has stone age internet, and few things bug me more than buffering a stream or having it lower the quality. You can essentially use your TV as a computer or just plug your USB directly to it and use the TV remote to sift through folders. Add netflix to that and I think it fills the gap nicely. I wouldn't use my phone for it, wireless capabilities aren't as good, battery life is crap, and it's hard on the phone.

What we really need is for everyone to have dedicated servers hooked up centrally to the TV and appliances with a good fiber connection and 4tb+ for seeding and file storage. All this cloud/streaming tech isn't good enough yet, I'd rather drop $150 on 4tb and not have to rely on questionable services.

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 15, 10:33 by aba16v »

najob

« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 15, 11:14 »
This is a good solution. I have one and have no complaints.
http://www.amazon.ca/arrivals-GooBang-Doo-MX5-Streaming/dp/B00YG6ZV0I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445565178&sr=8-2&keywords=android+tv+box

How much setup is involved in something like this? I have toyd with the idea of building a small streaming PC for the TV and getting rid of cable but there are too many choice when it comes to the applications...

Most important question is... can I get Food Network and HGTV on it? If it's a yes I could sell this to the wife...
DAS. Expect nothing less.

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 15, 12:29 »
can I get Food Network and HGTV on it? If it's a yes I could sell this to the wife...

Tell wife she can have her own Food network show. It's called "get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich".

I'm single, btw.
'81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |   '96 YZF750R

najob

« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 15, 12:46 »
Tell wife she can have her own Food network show. It's called "get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich".

I'm single, btw.

I'm not sure that would work...
DAS. Expect nothing less.

bootymac

« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 15, 13:35 »
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 20, 11:28 by bootymac »

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 15, 15:05 »
Sonarr is a sickbeard fork iirc.  Usually when a show hasn't updated it's because the download failed but sickbeard has it marked as snatched.  Sonarr has much better failed download handling from what I've read.  I keep meaning to look into sonarr but sickbeard is working fine for me and inertia being what it is...

bootymac

« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 15, 15:13 »
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 20, 11:28 by bootymac »

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 15, 18:41 »
Do you mean updated quality (ie replacing SD with HD) for the same episode or it doesn't snatch the latest episode?  I've had the later happen and resolved it by writing a cronjob that automatically restarted sickbeard every night.  I think that was a big that got fixed in the most recent (at last obviously) version,