Author Topic: Any audiophiles in here?  (Read 13488 times)

Jonnymooshoo

• Testers
    • 2004 MK4 .:R32
Any audiophiles in here?
« on: Nov 12, 15, 23:15 »
Just getting into the hobby, recently picking up a few headphones and IEMs. Ath-M50x, Ath-im70, Dunu dn-1000, Sony XBA-A3.
Are there any other dubberz in here who are into great audio?

plorwax

Re: Any audiophiles in here?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 15, 00:57 »
I'm surprise this is the first thread about this. Check out headphone bar in Vancouver they have some pretty crazy stuff in there.

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 15, 07:35 »
I became excited when I read the thread title. Came to read about the golden era of audio. Marantz and Sansui, tube amps and 20-band equalizers, Quadraphonic systems and units the size of furniture. Rich, warm sound that's uninhibited by codecs and other witchcraft.

Leaving disappointed.
'81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |   '96 YZF750R

Parts

• My lawn. You. Off it.
  • Professional driver, closed course. Do not attempt
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 15, 07:54 »
Marantz and Sansui,

Whoa. Just had a flashback.

Nice.
No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time. All you got is life time.
Go.

eurotrash

• Testers
  • lurker
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 15, 07:59 »
Love that! Tube amps and amazing-ness. I'm thinking about making my own cables for my home system. I don't have the cash to really indulge in multiple systems though.
2005 CTS-V
2017 Toyota Highlander | Limited | Midnight Black Metallic

Autohau5

« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 15, 09:02 »
Whoa. Just had a flashback.

Nice.

Acid? Fitting for the era.

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 15, 17:56 »
I got a true perspective of the sound of lossless music when I visited a recording studio my brother's band was at. They staff there took the time and showed me what some music was meant to sound like from Jay-Z to Nofx etc. Was a real experience.

I tell you I win that there lotto Imma have one bitching sound system.

hellgti

« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 15, 18:05 »

I got a true perspective of the sound of lossless music when I visited a recording studio my brother's band was at. They staff there took the time and showed me what some music was meant to sound like from Jay-Z to Nofx etc. Was a real experience.

I tell you I win that there lotto Imma have one bitching sound system.

It could be argued that there's already quality lost as anything being recorded is already being compressed.

I get the audiophile thing but I personally find it pointless as your already limited to the quality of a recording. And in this day and age recordings can be done quite cheap and quick.  And they defiantly sound like it.
Take care of each other out there. everyone here is my brother, let's make sure everybody goes home safe. Alright, let's stomp some heads. - Scott Vogel

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 15, 18:25 »
I hear you
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 15, 18:26 by Schmiesus »

aba16v

« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 15, 19:05 »
The difference in sound quality between a proper set of headphones and most sub $100 ones is substantial. Even the sennheiser 555s I had ruined youtube music because you could hear all the imperfections that a stereo/normal headphones don't pick up. Newer headphones are remarkable, the only thing they lack is the physical power of large speakers. Lets face it, most of us don't have the space to rock out to J bieb with a proper set of speakers (8 and we can't carry them around.

Anyone have some good earbud recommendations? I have to have a set of beaters for the garage, and would like something better for the street. Right now I just rock the walmart sony special, which is pretty good for $20, but the amount of sound they're cramming into $300 units is astonishing. In ear with minimal rape preferred.

This stuffs all asymptotic and I feel the "sensible" range is $50-80 for earbuds 2-300 for headphones. I'll be honest, I don't understand spending big bucks on this stuff if you're not producing. It would make more sense to buy CDs, make large flac collections, and use a home system. CDs are usually around 1440kb as opposed to MP3 topping out at 320.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 15, 19:06 by aba16v »

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 15, 20:59 »
Marantz

LOVE my Marantz AVR, modern not tube but such a nice sound.  Seconded for the Headphone Bar, bought my PSB M4U's there, small selection but it's all very high end stuff.  Also, check the audiophile community on Massdrop, usually some interesting deals there too.
Dear Lord. If we give you Justine Bieber and Miley Cyrus, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

hellgti

« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 15, 22:30 »

Anyone have some good earbud recommendations?

Shure in ears. I have the SE215s. Even makes Darkthrone sound decent.
Take care of each other out there. everyone here is my brother, let's make sure everybody goes home safe. Alright, let's stomp some heads. - Scott Vogel

Jonnymooshoo

• Testers
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 15, 23:29 »
I recently picked up a pair of Sony XBA-A3's off Headfi for $300 and they're amazing... im enjoying the Sony house sound and this is one of the best iterations of it. Deep bass with warm mids and detailed trebs without getting too siblant.

If you're looking for more of a neutral signature I borrowed a pair of westone W60's yesterday and they were brilliant... although at $1000 they should be.

The Audiotechica ATH-im70 is a good budget pair at just over $100 and well reviewed.

I would recommend that you try a lot before making a big purchase so you can get an idea of what kind of sound signature you are looking for. Analytical vs warm, sparlky treble vs rolled off...

I'm going to be doing some product photos of Dunu's new Titan range and it sounds like I'll get to keep them. The Titan 1's hit far above their price point so I'm looking forward to seeing how the 3's and 5's work out

Richmond69er

« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 15, 08:43 »
Not an audiophile that much anymore these days.
Last set of ear hardware I got were grado gr8 in ears....and I use em at the gym now hahaha

Whats a decent set of headphones I should be looking into these days? Any deals on Black Friday?
Air is for cheaters

Audidoodi

« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 15, 09:32 »
Nice info there Jonny. Looking for a new pair of ear hardware for Xmas. Currently rocking a pair of Sennheiser ear buds. Don't remember the model number but they have been great. Starting to get a bit tired after a few years of bumping now. Really interested in the Audio Technica's.
1996 Audi UrS6 - The Ongoing Project (Samco Boost Hoses, VVME 4300K 35W HIDs, TFSI Coil Conversion, Apikol Diff. Mount, Apikol/Poly Rear Subframe + Rear End Bushings, HPR Motor and Trans mounts, Apikol Snub Mount, Bilstein Sports + H&R 29800s, Avid.1 AV-20 18x8.5 wheels, Conti DWS06 tires)
2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 1.8T - Family Wagen
1986 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red (SOLD)

aba16v

« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 15, 00:54 »
I just got a set of HD598s on amazon for 120 bucks (retail is 300-350). Made my week, I've been shopping for awhile and that deal is just unheard of.

If anyone has the opportunity, pounce on these http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004FEEY9A/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_01_02_t_img_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd be buying multiple to resell if I could, it might be an amazon prime only deal but you can sign up for a free 30 days and cancel.

Autohau5

« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 15, 07:29 »
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 15, 07:30 by Autohau5 »

superchicken

• Chopper Togger
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 15, 09:46 »
HD598SE's are $109 CDN Amazon Prime.  Just ordered a set to replace my aging HD500's.

http://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0126HISOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448646347&sr=1-1&keywords=hd598se

Do it, do it now.
flickr.com/iangwills
facebook.com/iangwills

malamikigo

• pebbleandpine.ca
    • Phrozen Photography
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 15, 10:28 »
HD598SE's are $109 CDN Amazon Prime.  Just ordered a set to replace my aging HD500's.

http://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0126HISOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448646347&sr=1-1&keywords=hd598se

Do it, do it now.

Oooooo that's a good deal.  Wasn't really looking for headphones, but might not be able to say no to that.

superchicken

• Chopper Togger
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 15, 12:19 »
I would call myself a budget audiophile.  $100 a pair seems to be my magic number for headphones.  I think I'd be comfortable with paying up to $1000 a pair for tower speakers.  (I haven't bought high-end speakers yet as I want to save that experience for our first home).

I've had dozens of pairs of headphones over the years, but the ones that have lasted me the longest and been the most enjoyable are my Sennheiser HD500's which I bought back in 2004/5 for $80.  They are easy to drive at 30-something ohms and I modded them with tape to seal up the open-air a bit and swapped out the cups for HD580 velour pads.

I've just ordered the HD598SE's to replace the 500's for $110, so I'm anxious to hear how they sound.

At home on my PC workstation, I have a set of Sennheiser PC350SE's that I picked up last fall for about $110  (see a trend here?).  They're harder to drive than the 500's at 160ohms, however they are closed-back and have a great integrated mic.  Listening to FLAC and high-bitrate mp3's on them is nice, connected with my older SB PCI X-FI.  I'd like to get a USB DAC and headphone amp, but I don't feel I'm at the point yet to justify a Schiit Stack or similar. 

I have a $50 Fiio portable headphone amp but after a few hours of listening it has lived in my drawer ever since, the bass boost is muddy and I found it to colour the sound too much.

For gym / travel / always-in-my-bag listening / phonecalls I carry some in-ear Android-edition Bose SoundTrue earbuds I purchased for about $100.  I like the bass response of them, considering they are "directed" in-ear and not true IEM's, in that they have a 1/4" driver with a silicone snout that forces the sound towards the ear canal, but don't offer noise isolation.  The treble response falls off fairly low, however, and I find the soundstage is very central.  I purchased the Bose primarily because I wanted an in-ear that had a ear-bridge holder to prevent them from falling out when running, and I liked the "directed" aspect of the on-ears as they tend to stay far enough away from the canal that they don't fill up with earwax as frequently as true IEM's.

At my desk at home, I have a pair of Micca PB42X powered 4” two-way monitors.  I picked them up on Amazon last year for $50 a pair due to a mis-print on the back.  They’re currently powered by the RTL88x DAC on my pc’s motherboard.  I love the imaging and clarity these speakers offer for their price.  They punch far above their pricepoint, and go toe-to-to with high-end powered monitors.  I use them for reference when editing video, and for near-field music listening when editing photos.

Source of audio makes a big difference too.

For years I listened primarily on my Galaxy Nexus, which I was fortunate to discover had a pretty decent DAC.  When I upgraded to an Asus Zenfone 2 this summer, I was really dissappointed with the sound quality of the phone's DAC, and it was one of the reasons I ended up switching to an iPhone 6s.  The 6s has better imaging and far less distortion at reference level, however I think my Gnex was still a little better, but I haven't done an A/B comparison since.

I've recently deleted a large chunk of my MP3 collection, save for my "Uber" music which was all ripped by myself to the UberMusic standard (an audio hub I used to be a member of), and have replaced a lot of my favourite albums with Vynil Flac 24/96 rips.

Also, for casual listening, I've started a Spotify subscription, as their premium option is a 320kbps Ogg/Vorbis stream which can be cached locally on your device for offline listening, which is great as I'm travelling frequently.

flickr.com/iangwills
facebook.com/iangwills

aba16v

« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 15, 12:35 »
I had a set of HD555s for a couple years until someone stole them at the airport (long flight set them down not thinking). They're extremely comfortable and I'm really excited to get my new pair.

Regretting not paying $8 to have them shipped today but I didn't want to be that guy.

eurotrash

• Testers
  • lurker
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 15, 13:13 »
my daily headphones are Sony MDR-7506 pros. if they are good enough for the dudes putting the mixes together for albums they will definitely be good enough for my youtubing/gaming/music listening. they have a bit more of a treble bias to them but after a day of listening to them i didn't notice it anymore and now i don't want to listen to music etc on any other headphones. home audio duties are handled by a combination of paradigm and P2/S2 combo early athena offerings. can't really crank it anymore though because of small sleeping ears in the house now.
2005 CTS-V
2017 Toyota Highlander | Limited | Midnight Black Metallic

Jonnymooshoo

• Testers
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 15, 11:47 »
So I almost did the same and order the Senni 598's on Black friday but I got pinged in my inbox about the Massdrop Fostex TH-X00's and put my $100 towards that. I always wanted a set of TH-600's and the build quality of the TH-X00's looks amazing. Got these for $399 and the MRSP is $1000

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

! No longer available

Jonnymooshoo

• Testers
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 15, 11:56 »
Anyone have an AMP/DAC recommendation for me?

Sources:
iPhone6+ - Main source
Macbook Pro
PC

Music:
iTunes Music subscription - although would switch if it made sense to get a DAP/DAC/AMP combo

Headphone:
Fostex Massdrop TH-X00

IEM:
Sony XBA-Z5

Preferences:
Significant audio quality improvement to warrant carrying around another device
Portability - If I am to carry around another device I would want it to be portable friendly
iOS device MFi compatible - again portability I'd rather not have to carry a CCK around and worry about another cable
Neutral processing without coloring the sound signature of my headphones
If I am to stack I'd like something low profile
Ability to use with my laptop/PC
Under $500 preferably in the $200-$300 range

Potentials:
Oppo HA-2
Sony PHA-1A
Bayerdynamic A200p
Cozoy Aegis
JDS Labs C5D - no MFi support though :(
? - up for any suggestions. If it makes sense to get an android based DAP with wifi for a streaming service I'd consider that too as long as there is a nice improvement in sound quality. (I wouldn't want a Fiio X5 eg. because I'd prefer a streaming service than having to manage a downloaded library)

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 15, 12:15 »
what are you using Tidal?

Jonnymooshoo

• Testers
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 15, 13:09 »
I'm using Apple Music, although I would switch if it made sense.

I actually don't care much about highres as you really can't hear the difference between Lossless and 128k AAC. It's really just marketing at this point until the recording companies actually change how they are mastering new albums. Only time you do is if the master recording has been preserved at 24bit. I remember watching a video of an audio engineer explaining that Tidal's library is predominantly 96% CD quality recordings put into "lossless" files with only 4% of their library existing of true 24bit mastered recordings.

~~

Tried my coworkers Senni 598SE's today he ordered for Black Friday. I have to say I can see how they are quite well reviewed but i'm glad I didn't actually pull the trigger. The open backed format doesn't really work for office use, and I'm missing the low end bass impact. Nice quality, and amazing for the price, but not for me.

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 15, 13:16 »
You ever watch soundcity?

aba16v

« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 15, 13:47 »
Got my HD598s and they're pretty good, but I tried to check the auth on sennheiser's website and it came back invalid. I know of 8 other pairs that a couple of my friends ordered that're all in the same boat. I disassembled a pair to see and everything looks normal (although the soldering is a little lazier than I expected). Just a heads up that you should contact amazon if you ordered these, not sure if they're fakes but they don't sound that much better than my HD555s and have more bass than I expected.

Jonnymooshoo

• Testers
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 15, 19:04 »
Got my HD598s and they're pretty good, but I tried to check the auth on sennheiser's website and it came back invalid. I know of 8 other pairs that a couple of my friends ordered that're all in the same boat. I disassembled a pair to see and everything looks normal (although the soldering is a little lazier than I expected). Just a heads up that you should contact amazon if you ordered these, not sure if they're fakes but they don't sound that much better than my HD555s and have more bass than I expected.

Interesting, I'll let my coworker know. I thought these were sold and fulfilled by Sennheiser themselves so I can't imagine that they are fakes. I do have to say they were supercomfortable but I wasn't blown away with the sound quality. Maybe they will scale better with an amp

plorwax

« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 15, 21:19 »
I hear a lot of good things about schiit audio amp/dac combo. I also found spotify on high res setting to have better quality than apple music.

superchicken

• Chopper Togger
« Reply #30 on: Dec 03, 15, 18:40 »
Get the o2 odac+amp combo johnnymooshoo.

flickr.com/iangwills
facebook.com/iangwills

aba16v

« Reply #31 on: Dec 03, 15, 20:20 »
Interesting, I'll let my coworker know. I thought these were sold and fulfilled by Sennheiser themselves so I can't imagine that they are fakes. I do have to say they were supercomfortable but I wasn't blown away with the sound quality. Maybe they will scale better with an amp

after a few days they are now coming back as genuine on sennheisers website. Already have a second set in the mail though, looks like I've got two now :)

I'm highly debating getting an amp in the future, Fiio - E10K or similar. Is it worth it?
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 15, 20:21 by aba16v »

superchicken

• Chopper Togger
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 15, 21:18 »
after a few days they are now coming back as genuine on sennheisers website. Already have a second set in the mail though, looks like I've got two now :)

Whaaaaat?

I'm highly debating getting an amp in the future, Fiio - E10K or similar. Is it worth it?
flickr.com/iangwills
facebook.com/iangwills

Jonnymooshoo

• Testers
« Reply #33 on: Dec 09, 15, 08:15 »
Get the o2 odac+amp combo johnnymooshoo.

The o2 dac/amp has been high on my list... Just thinking however that I might want something more portable for long trips that can double for a desktop amp/dac

Im about 80% of the way to pulling the trigger on the Oppo HA-2.

I think I need to sell a few of my iems first
Untitled by Jonathan Leung, on Flickr

BALLERina

• Testers
  • Weapon of Choice
« Reply #34 on: Dec 09, 15, 12:31 »
Also, for casual listening, I've started a Spotify subscription, as their premium option is a 320kbps Ogg/Vorbis stream which can be cached locally on your device for offline listening, which is great as I'm travelling frequently.

Thanks for this - prompted me to go crank up my spotify quality settings.

SA | Ballerina

Jeremy Sawatzky #2

• Hodor
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 16, 13:30 »
I love the Hi-res advertisement on the box. wtf does that even mean haha.
2005 BMW 325i, 2016 Mazda CX5, 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure, 2006 Yamaha FZ6

aba16v

« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 16, 02:18 »
Have always felt like earbuds are a waste of money, although I've used some $300 sets that were really nice they just don't compete with headphones. Usually go with whatever sony stocks at walmart in the $20 range, but went for a set of these recently,  $13 in ear panasonics. Fairly far in ear and work great in the garage, my bosche grinder isn't very loud so I'm pretty confident they're "good enough" to dim it down.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007ZRJVA6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I must say, they're fucking great, especially for the money. Disposably cheap with free two day delivery is hard to beat. Anyone have other sets they'd recommend? ($25 max, I break these things semi regularly)

Those fostex headphones look beautiful  :thumbup: 
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 16, 02:22 by aba16v »

superchicken

• Chopper Togger
« Reply #37 on: Jan 26, 16, 20:26 »
Got to listen to my Q1 hooked up to my iPhone this month.  Quality is.... alright for under $100 for a DAC, but not blow-me-away-better.
flickr.com/iangwills
facebook.com/iangwills

Jonnymooshoo

• Testers
« Reply #38 on: Jan 26, 16, 20:34 »
Bought a mojo on Boxing Day $100 off. The difference is night and day both with IEMs and full size headphones. The first time that hype over a product has been well deserved.

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #39 on: Jan 26, 16, 20:38 »
Those fostex headphones look beautiful  :thumbup: 

They're available again on Massdrop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00
Dear Lord. If we give you Justine Bieber and Miley Cyrus, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

Jonnymooshoo

• Testers
« Reply #40 on: Jan 26, 16, 20:53 »
Played around with these recently.. not as impressed as I was with the HD800's but beautiful pair of headphones. I could just never justify paying full retail for them.

Jonnymooshoo

• Testers
« Reply #41 on: Jan 26, 16, 20:58 »
They're available again on Massdrop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

Worth every penny. If you want a great set of can with a fun and musical sound signature these are the best in this price range and many like better than their flagship TH-900 at $1800 a pair.

Fun tight bass, warm mids and detailed highs without being too fatiguing. has a great soundstage probably the best i've heard in a closed set of headphones and rivals many of the open backed I've listened to.

superchicken

• Chopper Togger
« Reply #42 on: Jan 27, 16, 23:00 »
Recommend me a set of ANR over-ears for flying.  Something around $150, decent sound, but primarily great ANR and comfortable to wear.
flickr.com/iangwills
facebook.com/iangwills