Author Topic: CIS Binding Fuel Distribution Control Plunger?  (Read 2046 times)

g60syncro

Thinking the plunger in the fuel distributor is binding. High-ish idle and a sticking throttle when depressed. Idle adjustement screw is closed and it’s still at 2k rpm, so there’s an obvious issue.

Just want some reassurement here, cause I’ve just changed my hard lines and am dreading the thought of redoing them.
No time for the old in/out love. I've just come to read the metre.

g60syncro

Re: CIS Binding Fuel Distribution Control Plunger?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 18, 19:55 »
Didn’t have time to pull it apart and clean it, but I figure some varnished gunk jammed in there, or it’s dried out and there’s a lot of friction.

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 18, 22:02 »
Thinking the plunger in the fuel distributor is binding. High-ish idle and a sticking throttle when depressed. Idle adjustement screw is closed and it’s still at 2k rpm, so there’s an obvious issue.

Gas high idle is air related, not fuel; this isn't a diesel. Excess fuel would very slightly raise the idle (50rpm maybe). Idle of 2000rpm is definitely an air leak past the throttle body butterfly. What engine? And what do you mean by sticking throttle? the pedal/throttle body actually stays open even when released?

Get your ether/carb cleaner out, or check every single vacuum line, intake manifold bolts for tightness, aux air bypass valve, etc. hows the cam and ignition timing? Whats a vac gauge say? Should be around 19-21" hg. with throttle closed.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 18, 22:04 by Autohau5 »
'81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |   '96 YZF750R

g60syncro

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 18, 22:38 »
1.7L 83 coupe.

I did remove some hoses pre throttle body but I reconnected them. I’ll have another look around the intake manifold to male sure everything is connected

When I start the car the idle is high 2-22k. After it’s warmed up to where the idle should ease off, when you press the trottle the RPM sticks to whereever you reved it up to. RPM’s creep up a little more when you let off the peddle . The peddle is at a neutral position with no tension on the throttle cable. At thatbpoint I shit off the engine.

I’ll check the timing again, but last I set it it was at the notch past TDC. I don’t have a vac gauge.

Ran more or  less fine bfore I tackled the fuel lines. Disconnected a few wires at the fifth injector, as well as some vac lines and wires around the master cylinder. I figured I was  100% certain To triple check everything I disconnected, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I left something disconnected.

Cheers. Thanks for your input

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 18, 07:15 »
Did you happen to perhaps pull up an injector, and now theres a vacuum leak there? Or perhaps an injector rotated and the sealing o-ring broke and is no longer sealing?
'81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |   '96 YZF750R

g60syncro

« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 18, 12:18 »
I did pull injectors to see why I wasn’t getting fuel. I’ll check to see if the o-rings are seated properly.

Cheers

Benyameen Kawlboose

• boots
« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 18, 20:15 »
It never hurts to clean your air flow meter.
It should rise and fall without any friction whatsoever.
Grab a magnet and pull the metering plate up, take the magnet off and let it drop.
If it doesn't float back down with ease, and quickly, it's dirty
Remove the whole assembly from the air box, turn it over, and spray it down with carb cleaner. Clean off any gunk, and try it all again.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wake up. Stand up. Please look at this picture. Look at this picture please.

g60syncro

« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 18, 10:50 »
So after having being gone on vacation I’ve Found out the problem. Turns out while I had the intake plenum removed (between the throttle body and air/fuel distrubution centre) to install the new fuel lines, I had stuffed a couple of wads of shop rag in the throttle body to avoid any ingress of crud or what have you. Whilst reassembling I forgot to remove one of them as it was nestled in the smaller flap area just out of site. Fortunately it never made it’s through the intake manifold.

On one hand I feel the fool not having removed that wad of rag. On the other, I installed everything correctly, and the new fuel lines are fine. I guess I’ll figure it to lesson learned.