Author Topic: First car jetta project  (Read 5286 times)

Qogu

First car jetta project
« on: May 06, 16, 23:04 »
Hi I got a 97 jetta Gt. 2L 8v Using as a learning experience more than anything and having fun with it.

Let me start off, this is for me learning I'm not looking for this thing to be crazy high, first car. learning on and having fun with, its all new to me about 12 months ago but learned a lot since then.

12 months ago
- Actually the first person who told me about the vw community was someone who went to school with, blue golf vr6. He actually showed me of a stanced jetta on his phone what I told him I had. I then learned wow this is a whole new experience. I then started; that day watching h20i which I was very fond of. Loved the way of being different was so cool and unique. I then started watching h20i videos, stance nation and import alliance etc. which I then later started realizing I had to get started.
- I started a clutch job with my auto teacher mainly me doing the work, lunches after school even just learning was a cool experience. at the time I had no clue what stage or lightweight flywheel were. just a basic rhino cluch kit.
8months ago.
- As part of me wanted racelands I soon found out they were not for me, so I saved up enough to get koni full adjustable coilovers. (took me a while to find a set I preferred)
I saved up about a whole 2 months worth of saving up just for coilovers paid off. ordered them and arrived about 2 weeks later. in Picture 9

Ever since then I just started doing more and more till the point where it was addicting just to get my hands dirty and to learn more
-since about then this is what ive done in order

What I have done after the coilovers.

-15668 Magnaflow catback
-new wheels ( Klutch sl1 15x8.5 et17) Nexen cp661195/50 little stretch for my taste
-25mm rear spacers w/ lugs
-restored the whole rear end, and underneath as much as I could.
-Euro concept front lip
-Brakes all round including discs replaced
-Badgless grill
-New antenna (got rid of the alien antenna)
-Got a swiss cheese cone filter which I got rid of after I did the camshaft.
-Camshaft 260 tt
-Ecu chip to go with the cam also by tt
- new valve seal
- New spark plug wires
- handbrake had to be redone wouldn't work when I bought it
That's all I can think about but atm but its a start for a daily.

I am doing a bunch of research on a new project as this will be my daily. Ive put a great amount of money into the car

Info on the car
- 2nd owner 97 jetta gt 5spd manual
- 175k atm. bought 2 years ago at 168k tells how much I drive it.
- Windsor Blue Pearl Metallic

that's the build as far as I know I'm sure I'm missing a few things but that's it for the most part and as I said this is all for learning purposes, wanted something totally different from everyone else in the vw world.
thanks for your time please leave a comment if you feel as if you got a cool idea.

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 18, 23:33 by Qogu »

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
Re: Starting a 2L 8v Build for learning on!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 16, 23:19 »
Good work. My first car was a 1998 Jetta GT in Windsor Blue.  I drove that car for 65,000kms and loved it.

Keep it up
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

Qogu

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 17, 00:07 »
Haven't really done an update

Pic below was when I got the car to about last September

What I've done since september
- hella black smoked side markers
- euro front emblem
- purchased a oem grill as the old one was cracked and clips were broken from previous owner
- I'm doing the aeg swap again, but this time I'm not flipping the mass air flow sensor. I don't know why I did it but I remember doing it (hense why it wouldn't idle)
- took the white off the tires

The car now sits in the other garage nice and cozy a's I work on it. The golf has the cover on it for now.

The car is still at 178k km's

I'm hoping to get done by this august
- priority (one of the rear calipers is sticking ever so slightly)
- DE badge the rear trunk
- get rid of the spoler as I think it would look better without one
- if funding goes well and I have enough for school then air ride is my next achievement

I personally like doing all this by myself, get help here and there but I don't hand over the car without myself working on it. I personally enjoy working on a car as much as driving them.

As priorites are set on and only on schooling this may not happen depending on if I have to cough up for schooling.
Thanks for taking the time to read
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 17, 00:16 by Qogu »

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 17, 08:43 »
Awesome! Keep up the good work!

Qogu

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 17, 10:01 »
Start things off got this stage 2 turbo "kit" from jakub with extras, big thanks to him for making things happen

well we have a hamster powered rotomaster t3/t4 50 trim if I'm not mistaken and will be running little boost... not big boost.... for now....

will be running a 260 degree, very mild cam but I've never heard of anyone running this cam on the aba's with a turbo/supercharger and have have done lots of searching.... the car will be different from the rest....so the cam will stay in

Let's get things started, I had the Aeg swap on the car before. This was a nice gain with the aftermarket cam and nice touch without doing a heavy duty spring job.... 😎 but aba intake is what I will use with this setup, took that off and painted it a silver/new color look

then I took the 2.25inch magnaflow 15668 catback off. Thanks to jakub we now have a 2.5inch exhaust!! And yes you may be thinking how fast did you get the manifold and downpipe off? Well the manifold bolts are cracked and are easy to get off. but down there by the catalyc, let's just say we got the pipes off.... it's going to the dump anyways (cut it up)

We need fuel! Bosch #42 threw on the new to me injectors.... but we did an O-ring job 😎 since we have it off might as well

We now have an ecu! I felt a lack of boring with the bracket and painted it black! Very nice touch! Of course I cleaned under there so it's nice and pretty! This is a c2 software (should be)

With all this being done why not clean the Maf sensor off.... it looked old... polished up really nice. 3" aluminum Maf.

now let's install this intercooler! I already have a cut up rebar so it makes life easy! Bolted the 3 bolts on and it's now mounted to the rebar.

Here is where fun begins for myself! I have an Na Bumper, but have this nice looking Euro bumper sitting around thanks to Cris (Bluevr) it's going to good use dude! Not the rad that will go on the golf some other time... the euro bumper was already fairly cut up so it's makes it easier and just cut it up even more to fit

Now with this euro bumper it needs a respray, badly. I will be doing this myself but will be primed sometime in the next few days

Let's get talking about this turbo already! The turbo has some issue, play is what you expect but will definitely need some attention in the near future... jakub showed that there was play from the bolts connecting the housing to the turbo? So it was loose very slightly.... not good. To see if they would tighten down, they did! But took some nice bolt locker onto the bolts and no more play! I am also gonna be orderering a turbo blanket/shield and hope to get that next month.

Looking at the downpipe to the turbo we have 3 studs that are good but one needed to be hacked off due to rust, which was fine. Took some penetration rust to the studs.... wait 5 or so minutes let it do its thing... okay, now it's time for vise grips! Took the sucker out real fast and bada bing 15-20 minutes later all 4 studs are out! Easy as pie! Which is 3.36.... something... something... I'm not good at math 😑 so let's get back to working on the jetta. If anyone knows where to find these studs please let me know!

Now I was thinking of cleaning off that shitty looking black filter but meh it's had better days... Let's try and match the paint with a blue filter from Canadian tire! It looks fairly close to a match so I'm happy!

I also cleaned up the couplers real nice and are looking fresh even the inside looks new 😀 we replaced a few sensors, iat hadn't been done so I took the liberty just to put a new one in the intake

The most recent thing that I've put together was the boost controller! I haven't touched the car in a couple days due to work but hopefully will be getting more time/late night work done.

Qogu

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 17, 10:04 »
More pics

Qogu

« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 17, 10:14 »
This is the stud I'm looking for, any info on this would be greatly appreciated. 

I also took off the crankcase breather hose this morning and put a brand new one on! If you can see I have the oNE I used for the aeg swap.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 17, 10:15 by Qogu »

AirCooledRules

Re: Starting a 2L Aba Turbo Build
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 17, 11:35 »
Good update. I'm liking the fact that these parts are going straight onto another car right away. Keep up the good work
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

Qogu

« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 17, 00:10 »
More work has been done. What I just finished up was removing the old oil pan and putting the new one on. Buying a new oil pan gasket, and a 5/8s hose which was a pain to get on.... should have more of an update every day but tomorrow will try and get some studs and gaskets which I found!! Will show more details when I get them. Hoping to have the car running Saturday and tweak done.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 17, 00:13 by Qogu »

Qogu

« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 17, 14:11 »
Just picked up some tubing for the gauge and some 10x10 sheet of exhaust gasket. I think mopac is a bad place cause I already got ideas of going back.....

Arbor

« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 17, 14:40 »
If you need any help PM me, I have the same turbo as you on my aba and it has some shaft play whilst dry but one it see's some oil pressure the play is gone, so I wouldn't worry too much.....I'm hoping to do a custom Holset in the future as these things spool fast with a 9cm housing.  :thumbup:

Gerg

« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 17, 14:56 »
Run it til the compressor wheel scrapes the housing lol.
'92 GTI VRT - '93.5 Corrado VR6  - '04 R32 - '01 GTI 24V

Qogu

« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 17, 15:27 »
If you need any help PM me, I have the same turbo as you on my aba and it has some shaft play whilst dry but one it see's some oil pressure the play is gone, so I wouldn't worry too much.....I'm hoping to do a custom Holset in the future as these things spool fast with a 9cm housing.  :thumbup:

Sounds good, will definitely pm you some more if I need some info. Thanks

That's a way to skip a step if you went to polish it....

Arbor

« Reply #13 on: Aug 16, 17, 15:44 »

That's the correct way right?  :toothy:

Gerg

« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 17, 19:32 »
That's the correct way right?  :toothy:
Oh ya! Even ball bearing turbos have radial shaft play
'92 GTI VRT - '93.5 Corrado VR6  - '04 R32 - '01 GTI 24V

Qogu

« Reply #15 on: Aug 19, 17, 20:05 »
Doing some last minute touches before tomorrow. Had one issue and it was burning and melting the damn thing away within 30 seconds of it being started! All is going smoothly everything seems to be running right and no oil leaks!

I had one but I forgot to tighten the oil pan bolt  ;) other than that we are going well. I have the gauge on temporarily and will take that off once I get that dialed.

Some things are not perfect as I wanted to be able to drive it to gcvw.

I have the exhaust cut up and need to install that soon, hoping to have this done before midnight. Leaving to get it insured, sorry for the lack of updates... been working on this non stop until bed. Will update more when I get more time
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 17, 20:07 by Qogu »

AirCooledRules

« Reply #16 on: Aug 19, 17, 20:14 »
Good job. Excited to see it tomorrow
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

Qogu

« Reply #17 on: Aug 19, 17, 20:16 »
Good job. Excited to see it tomorrow

Got any ideas on how to stop the melting coupler? I'm gonna try moving a little or flipping the coupler to see if it makes any room. May even try a different coupler I may have gotten them mixed up.