Author Topic: 16v  (Read 2940 times)

16v
« on: Aug 23, 16, 12:09 »
Can someone tell me if you can swap the 16v head onto the 2.0 8v bottom end ? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
Re: 16v
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 16, 12:19 »
Yes you can. Compression will change to 8.5 iirc, and you'll need to change other bits to make it all copecetic. You'll also need to get an EFI fuel rail (bahnbrenner etc).
'81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |   '96 YZF750R

aba16v

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 16, 14:28 »
Think it's closer to 9, with the 9a pistons that is. With aba pistons it's lower, 8.2? Decking the block 70 thou will put you in the 10.8 range, with a euro intake cam mod and some of Tectonic tuning's voodoo you'll be hanging with VRs. Running a full 9A on CIS would be easier if you don't want to do a CE2 conversion, but an OBD2 frankenstein aba16V will basically be a modern engine. They make around 140WHP with minor mods and get 7L/100 easily. You could also run a diesel crank to put you at a flat 11:1, you'll want a wideband to help with tuning and a 50mm or abf intake.

I'd start here http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1535079-lets-get-a-ABA-16v-Parts-List-FAQ-Thread-going

You'll basically need both motors. The aba rods will need to be re-bushed, or you can buy a set of rods from IE for around 350 USD.

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 16, 14:32 by aba16v »

germanstyle

• Global Moderator
  • Wheel Whore
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 16, 15:29 »
Wow that's some detailed info above...nice work guys.

With all the guys on here who just ask the same questions over and over it's nice to have a reminder from time to time that there are some guys on here that seriously know their stuff. :thumbup:
Toyota 4runner, Ram 3500

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 16, 15:48 »
This is what I love about the VW community. Thanks for all the great info guys

Qogu

« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 16, 21:15 »
I was talking to Acr About this and he referred this as a hard build? he said for the time and effort go with a neuspeed supercharger and call it a day.
But if I did this I would do it right, Swap some forged pistons in, rebuild the bottom end using the factory forged crank and rods, that should handle max 400hp from what ive heard. With the right cam, header and exhaust your looking at a 170hp to start. I really want to do the supercharger but in the way I am getting bored with the lack of hp and planning on getting a vr6 and build that up. I am not going to tell you that it isn't gonna reach crazy hp because if its worth it to you that's all that matters! its also a fun lol
Good Luck!

aba16v

« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 16, 21:37 »
Boosting an 8V to make NA 16V power, lol. Sounds like when VW added 4 valves and a turbo, and still only made 150HP.

The stock pistons are forged, as are all OBD1 aba components. Don't use an OBD2 block, you just want the management. All you need is the IE rods, the rest of the stock internals will be fine for 400 HP, assuming the car is tuned properly.

Nice thing about a frankenstein 16V is that none of the parts are worth anything and changing the head only takes a few hours tops. This build is semi complicated but well documented. That being said, if you're not comfortable gapping rings, installing rods, don't have a good torque wrench, and aren't willing to take the risk of blowing the motor up, pulling a VR from a running car is definitely a better choice. Once you blow up a motor or two you learn pretty quick. Only buy old cars for what they're worth in parts and build them from the ground up if you want something you can trust.

The ABF was intentionally de-tuned so that the VR would shine in the late 90s, it's a much more suitable motor for daily use in a mk1/mk2 chassis. They ran digifant management when sequential OBD2 injection was available. I know that's going to spark a lot of hate, but VRs don't get 700k to a tank and aren't nearly as efficient. 2 valves per cylinder and a hot head design just doesn't compete with a traditional 4 valve per cylinder inline.

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 16, 21:41 by aba16v »

« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 16, 22:32 »
Thanks for all the great info guys

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 16, 23:54 »
16v's are just so rev happy and have a sweet 4-cylinder note that isnt heard too often. Obviously nothing compares to the mechanical symphony that is the VR6, but close.

You could also save yourself some time and effort by swapping in a complete 16v engine. Either way, get some decent street cams (266/270 iirc) which really lets the 16v breathe properly and you'll be playing with stock and lightly modded VRs.
'81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |   '96 YZF750R