Author Topic: Replacement key  (Read 373 times)

karmutzen

Replacement key
« on: Apr 29, 18, 12:56 »
2006 Jetta, lost my only key fob.  What are my options, tow it to a dealer and they’ll cough one up from the VIN, then program?  Victoria.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 18, 12:56 by karmutzen »

Parts

• My lawn. You. Off it.
  • Professional driver, closed course. Do not attempt
Re: Replacement key
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 18, 08:04 »
That's the only way I know of. It'll be about $325 by the time the smoke clears. Not including the tow.
And it'll take a couple of days to get it in, too.
No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time. All you got is life time.
Go.

RyanAnthony

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 18, 11:08 »
That's the only way I know of. It'll be about $325 by the time the smoke clears. Not including the tow.
And it'll take a couple of days to get it in, too.

Do you know if it costs less if I have a functioning key I can bring VW?  I would just like to have a spare key if misplace my current one.
kids now want to have the hellafrush looked with stretched tires that totally throw off speedo's and mileage tracking. They don't care about ride quality and fuel economy. - Vangruver

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 18, 12:09 »
Do you know if it costs less if I have a functioning key I can bring VW?  I would just like to have a spare key if misplace my current one.
You need to bring a cut key and have it programmed to your car. Or have someone on the forum program it for you.
'01 A6 2.7TT 6MT  |  '81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |    '04 Touareg V10 TDI    |   '96 YZF750R

karmutzen

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 18, 12:46 »
Found the original so now same as recent posters wanting a spare.  All in one at the dealer is 325 (no tow this time). Alternatively, where can I get a fob with a blank, who in Victoria can cut it, and who besides the dealer can program. I’ve heard some dealers won’t cut or program 3rd party keys. Will MrLocksmith do this?