Author Topic: VPD handing out VIs rampantly  (Read 561 times)

velvito

• 1991 Corrado OBDII VR6T
VPD handing out VIs rampantly
« on: Mar 11, 19, 22:22 »
I read this from another user with a lowered car with exhaust where VPD gave him a VI for non stock ride height and aftermarket exhaust as he was parking.  I also just saw it on Global news at 6 today.  Another guy in a newer Fiat Spider also got a VI as the car looked like it was slightly lower than factory.  It passed inspection however the owner is out for time and cost of the inspection.  Global went on to say that VIs have increased significantly in 2018 and even more so in early 2019.

Beware.
|Dubs for life|

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
Re: VPD handing out VIs rampantly
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 19, 23:21 »
What bothers me most about this is that it cannot be disputed.

Police officers are not qualified to hand out tickets for vehicle inspection.

Iíve known people who have gotten VIs whose cars are modified but in fantastic tune and in excellent condition, while there is a green 1971 chevelle sedan running around Burnaby that Iíve spotted regularly since the early 90s thatís being held together with paper mache and continues to be driven. I last saw it last month.

You can have a POS car and not get busted, but your car is lowered and you are a target.

Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

dork

• Global Moderator
  • John Player Special
    • the dub allstars
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 19, 14:48 »
And if you're a Vancouver resident. Your tax dollars are paying for this, and it's not even generating revenue. Because let's face it. 90% of the cars getting VI'd aren't from Vancouver, so they take their cars to their local mechanic, or an inspection facility that is closer to home for their inspection. Vancouver is spending money "cracking down" on modified cars, and it's only costing them money to do it.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 19, 14:48 by dork »
Creative Director | Dub Allstars co. / Videographer | The Box One Collective

www.theboxone.com

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 19, 16:25 »
Iím surprised that Iíve never recieved a VI as Iíve never really driven stock cars from day 1.

However Iíve through countless vehicle inspections due to importing cars from out of province or rebuilding wrecked cars and itís always a stressful experience.

Inspections are very tough because the shops want to make money, although they are making a little money by doing the inspection, they also have you by the balls and will want to perform repairs that you may not want or be ready to do which are not a safety concern.

By not being able to dispute these VI tickets it makes it very difficult to hold an officer accountable for unwarranted inspections.
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

witchcraftz

• Testers
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 19, 18:58 »
They should be giving those VI tickets to all the over raised trucks I see around instead of vehicles with lower centers of gravity an less risk (not more) of rolling over...

Tooly

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 19, 19:13 »
This goes back to a Revscence thread from last fall where the speculation was that it's retribution for some car guy doxing a VPD officer over a ticket.

https://www.revscene.net/forums/715383-psa-vpd-handing-out-vis-like-candy.html

nype1234

« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 19, 09:03 »
They should be giving those VI tickets to all the over raised trucks I see around instead of vehicles with lower centers of gravity an less risk (not more) of rolling over...

How about focusing on cars/trucks with ridiculously bright LED bulbs installed in reflector housings. Blinding glare. Easy to spot.

PorscheNut

• GTI
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 19, 18:03 »
How about focusing on cars/trucks with ridiculously bright LED bulbs installed in reflector housings. Blinding glare. Easy to spot.

Yes!  Gawd I hate those.
95 Mk3 GTI VR6 / 2000 ML55 AMG / 13 ZX10R
WTB Mk3 aftermarket swaybars & dished 17" wheels

RyanAnthony

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 19, 21:51 »
What bothers me most about this is that it cannot be disputed.

What bothers me the most is that passing the VI means nothing other then reinsuring your car. You can get pulled over on your way home from the inspection, and issued another VI and get your plates pulled.
kids now want to have the hellafrush looked with stretched tires that totally throw off speedo's and mileage tracking. They don't care about ride quality and fuel economy. - Vangruver

ckone

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 19, 09:21 »
I read up on this a bit and the wording of this process is so ambiguous that there really is no recourse.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/references_publications/pdf/Notice-and-Order-info.pdf

this section
If the Peace Officer believes the vehicle does not comply and warrants a Level 1 (Box 1) or Level 2
Box 2) N & O, the description of the defect or violation may not be indicated. Completion of this
section or any notation in this section is discretionary. 

so they do not need to reference the section of the CVSE VIM in order to hand this out??? interesting how this is possible....
https://www.crownpub.bc.ca/Product/Details/7610003553_S#/?statesave=true
I am the sites Red Foreman - Dumbass
"You wagon guys are always confident in fitting things in your car" - Germanstyle

jesse

• Dingdongs
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 19, 12:29 »
I read up on this a bit and the wording of this process is so ambiguous that there really is no recourse.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/references_publications/pdf/Notice-and-Order-info.pdf

this section
If the Peace Officer believes the vehicle does not comply and warrants a Level 1 (Box 1) or Level 2
Box 2) N & O, the description of the defect or violation may not be indicated. Completion of this
section or any notation in this section is discretionary. 

so they do not need to reference the section of the CVSE VIM in order to hand this out??? interesting how this is possible....
https://www.crownpub.bc.ca/Product/Details/7610003553_S#/?statesave=true

Exactly. The officer is not trained nor does he require to be trained in vehicle inspections and that process. His only requirement is to issue you a notice to take your car to a facility that is certified to do this inspection. This is where the problem is for everyone with a modified car, argue all you want with the officer he doesn't care, he may be wrong but he is only a messenger.

That being said, I do agree enthusiasts in Vancouver are being unfairly targeted, likely because of the one dude who started shit with "Cain"