Author Topic: More ICBC Fuckery  (Read 1044 times)

MrPapageorgio

• Your Mom smells of BALLZ
88 Cabby... Triple Blue, 2.0 16v, Koni coils, MOMO IDEA....2000 Beetle GLS 1.8T
Speeding is like masturbation, everyone does it ,but it's not something you should record and put on the internet!!

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
Re: More ICBC Fuckery
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 18, 16:58 »
wow, that's a lot of money
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

Jeremy Sawatzky #2

• Hodor
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 18, 17:30 »
Gross mismanagement and a ridiculous amount of frivolous claims. Add in the government using it as their piggy bank and what do ya know... 1.3 billion in the red.
2005 BMW 325i, 2016 Mazda CX5, 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure, 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Shinny

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 18, 19:49 »
Itís time to get rid of Icbc all together and privatize the insurance. Competition will lower prices and be better for all...

ckone

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 18, 20:46 »
Itís time to get rid of Icbc all together and privatize the insurance. Competition will lower prices and be better for all...

yeah no it wont. I have heard of horror stories out of Onterrible where if you get even one accident after 30 years safe driving, they surcharge you like crazy. You get a speeding ticket, surcharge. If you get  a speeding ticket, the insurance company can send you a letter saying that they are canceling insurance on you and that you have 10 days to find new insurance or pay a higher premium.

Everyone assumes that private insurance is about a race to the bottom on premiums - i like that ICBC is a crown corp and required to be accountable to the government. If you deal with private insurance, they are big corporations and are only responsible to the shareholders.
I am the sites Red Foreman - Dumbass
"You wagon guys are always confident in fitting things in your car" - Germanstyle

Shinny

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 18, 21:13 »
Icbc and accountable :lol: :thumbup: Iím not sure about that...

Whatís wrong with surcharging the people who are speeding and getting into accidents? Maybe it would slow people down and think twice about the driving decisions they are making.

AirCooledRules

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 18, 21:31 »
Icbc and accountable :lol: :thumbup: Iím not sure about that...

Whatís wrong with surcharging the people who are speeding and getting into accidents? Maybe it would slow people down and think twice about the driving decisions they are making.

This makes sense.
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

AirCooledRules

« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 18, 00:09 »
Also 1.3B may seem
Like a large number, but when you break it down to 3.5M losses per day, that's just nasty
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

El_Gannas

• Attention To Detail
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 18, 23:44 »
the government using it as their piggy bank
This just boggles the mind, how is no-one from the past government being held to account for this? We're all now expected to pay more to cover for their actions. ludicrous! (not the rapper)
"We hang the petty thieves and elect the really good ones to office"

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 18, 06:22 »
probably cause it isn't illegal

killerb09

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 18, 07:36 »
If you understand how the insurance industry works you understand that accidents and pay outs are small time for them, they make/lose their shirts in the markets investing your premiums. 

SR-71

• Top post score!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 18, 12:49 »
If you understand how the insurance industry works you understand that accidents and pay outs are small time for them, they make/lose their shirts in the markets investing your premiums. 

Enlighten us then
DAS. Expect nothing.

witchcraftz

• Testers
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 18, 13:06 »
yeah no it wont. (...)

Everyone assumes that private insurance is about a race to the bottom on premiums - i like that ICBC is a crown corp and required to be accountable to the government. If you deal with private insurance, they are big corporations and are only responsible to the shareholders.

I've had insurance in QC, ON, AB and BC. Never any speeding tickets or accidents. Guess what, it's double here than I ever paid anywhere else... ICBC is gouging it's clients.

aba16v

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 18, 16:46 »
I pay a bit over triple here compared to the east coast. Never had a ticket or accident. What really gets me is multi car ownership, used to be ~50-60/month for the first car and half that for the second and third. Flat rate here for the lot of them.... can only drive one at a time.

If you're going to have a single payer system, treat it like a DMV and make some serious cuts to the number of locations and employees. The forgiveness system is nonsense too, if people keep wrecking cars keep jacking the rates until they stop driving. They're not magically competent after three years.
« Last Edit: May 15, 18, 16:49 by aba16v »

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 18, 17:12 »
What really gets me is multi car ownership, used to be ~50-60/month for the first car and half that for the second and third. Flat rate here for the lot of them.... can only drive one at a time.

I would love it if ICBC offered some sort of ďfleetĒ policy. You pay whichever has the highest premium, but can swap that plate around with your other cars.
'01 A6 2.7TT 6MT  |  '81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '16 Golf .:R    |    '04 Touareg V10 TDI    |   '96 YZF750R

dork

• Global Moderator
  • John Player Special
    • the dub allstars
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 18, 11:25 »
I would love it if ICBC offered some sort of ďfleetĒ policy. You pay whichever has the highest premium, but can swap that plate around with your other cars.

They do (or they used to, I don't know anymore) but you need to have 5 or 6 cars minimum. And it's not a plate swap policy, it's all of the vehicles insured. In the US, they have that plate swap kind of policy though. It's pretty rad. My friend had it and we wanted to take his project car out for a rip, so he called his 24 hr insurance company, told them he wanted to "add another registration number to his policy", and within 10minutes we were flying down the road in a caged MK3 with no windows and no plates! So sick. His insurance is a little card that he carries in his wallet.
« Last Edit: May 17, 18, 11:25 by dork »
Creative Director | Dub Allstars co. / Videographer | The Box One Collective

www.theboxone.com

aba16v

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 18, 13:01 »
Back east you could take the plate off your car and put it on a newly registered one for up to 30 days, but they'd hit you VERY hard if you tried messing with them or abused the system, full impound etc. Common courtesy to tell your insurance provider, but they're required to cover it by law. This was great because you might drive 2-3 hours to go pick up a vehicle, you only had to make the one trip, rather than getting your paperwork and then insuring/registering it before picking it up. I asked an ICBC rep once about insuring a car before purchasing so I didn't have to make two trips and they just looked at me funny. General incompetence and inefficiency all around so no surprise they're burning through money.

Fleet insurance here doesn't really work out to be much of a deal either, unless all of the vehicles are being actively driven by multiple people.

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 18, 14:24 »
Here you can drive a new to you car for up to 10 days in your old plates.
'01 A6 2.7TT 6MT  |  '81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '16 Golf .:R    |    '04 Touareg V10 TDI    |   '96 YZF750R

witchcraftz

• Testers
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 18, 15:06 »
No you can't, it's a common misconception. If you sell your old car at the same time as you are buying a new car then you can use your old plates for 10 days on the new car, if you still own the old car, you can't.

ICBC:

"You can drive your "new" vehicle using the licence plates from your old one for 10 days from the date of purchase if all of these conditions are met:
The vehicle you're switching plates to is registered in B.C. (or was purchased from a licensed B.C. auto dealer).
You have sold or otherwise disposed of your old vehicle.
Both vehicles are the same type (for example, passenger vehicles).
The licence plates are valid B.C. plates. "
« Last Edit: May 17, 18, 15:09 by witchcraftz »

Parts

• Professional driver, closed course. Do not attempt
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 18, 15:23 »
I've filled out the paperwork to "sell" my car before, just to use the plates to get another car home.
Shady, but that's the Island way.
No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time. All you got is life time.
Go.