Author Topic: City of Vancouver might ticket those who aren't "winter ready"  (Read 1240 times)

killerb09

90% of the population could give 2 fucks about cars, all they want to do is hop in, turn key varoom to the mall and back.

It's why they can sell so many Excels and Kia's. 

In 10 years you'll have to specially order a manual car, the salesman will laugh at you and ask why you want one.....then charge you $1000's to have it brought in....lol

It will be awesome.

aba16v

Publicly shared electric smart cars that drive themselves better be out before then. I expect cars to change their own batteries wheels and fluids in a decade with the way robotics are going. Otto engines can't even remotely compete with hybrid and electric tech for overall efficiency and are only currently winning because of a lack of infrastructure. With the introduction of 2170 cells and more hybrids like the 2017 Cali accord it's only a matter of time.

Then the rest of us can enjoy driving for ~20 more years before we're banned from most cities.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 17, 13:51 by aba16v »

Parts

• Professional driver, closed course. Do not attempt
People expect their car to get them from A to B with zero thought or shits given.

Unless you're a Dubber. Then there's always that doubt in the back of your mind. "Is this the day she packs it in?
Volkswagen Victoria 3329 Douglas St. Victoria BC V8Z3L2
parts2@vwvictoria.com   250.381.4331

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
I've got one A to B and one I should really work on that fucking thing.

Commuter Boy

For the last 3 winters we haven't even seen snow.  One year and everyone loses it.   Ran all seasons this whole time, no problem, albeit awd, but still.   Most of the accidents I've seen were all to do with limitations behind the steering wheel, not a limitation of what the wheels were wrapped in.

I have a new driver in the house.  When the weather got cold (before the snow came) we went out on the all seasons and played around with stopping distances.  Then we swapped on the winter tires.  He was astounded at the extra grip.

Then when the snow came he got to learn that snow tires don't make you invincible, but really help.

It isn't just snow they're better for, it's colder temps.  I'd be ok with legislating common sense, but then I always have a set of snows with good tread for each one of the cars.

The tire shortage didn't seem to affect Bellingham, all the shops had good snows in stock when I went looking around to replace a set of wearing down snows over the holidays and couldn't get any in the GVRD.  I would have thought Canada would have a better pipeline of that stuff but I guess not.

aba16v

Glad to hear you actually took the time to teach them, seems like most don't. I think we all understand how winter tires work and that they're not even comparable in lower temp or icy driving.  Vehicle inspections every 1-2 years would be far more reasonable given that most people don't even check their brakes. M/S requirement allowing all seasons like in the mountains would be reasonable. Would never go into the mountains with anything shy of near new winters, but mandating winters over 10cm of snow is ridiculous. Eastern Canada outside of Quebec doesn't mandate them and Nova Scotia will be getting ~ 60cm with 100km winds over the next couple of days. Letting emotion get in the way of reason here, just learn how to drive and stay off the road if your vehicle isn't fit to drive on it.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 17, 23:17 by aba16v »

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
Mithril/rondals love child? :suspicious:
'01 A6 2.7TT 6MT   |   '81 Rabbit S 16V   |   '16 Golf .:R

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
How can you say tires weren't a factor? Did you do the crash scene analysis? Being able to stop is always a factor.

boomfunk

if that thing was any more sleeper it\'d be comatose

Gerg

Tire rack tire test on ice

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=1XgQcNdF3VM

Tire rack tire test on snow

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=QDFopJ2osV0
Waste of time, I get by fine on all seasons bro
'92 GTI VRT - '93.5 Corrado VR6 - '04.5 BMP GLI - '92 Syncro Wagon

dutchOven

• Scooby Dubber
I don't use dedicated snow tires because I have no confidence in myself, I use dedicated snow tires because I have no confidence in anyone else.

If your complaint is about other people being unprepared and then you don't use the best tools to your advantage then you are also unprepared.
I eat people.

dork

• Global Moderator
  • John Player Special
    • the dub allstars
I think if they really wanted to. Whoever is in charge of things would just go to the VPD commissioner and be like "Yo, I need you to start ticketing people who are driving around on bald all season and getting stuck in the snow and holding up traffic"

The VPD Commissioner goes to the traffic department and is like "Yo, I need you to start handing out "driving without due care" tickets to any asshole you see getting stuck in the snow with summers or all seasons, and I need you to VI the cars with bald tires driving around in the snow"

There doesn't need to be a new law necessarily, just the authorities using the laws that are already in place and enforcing them. The language is very vague in the MVA and "driving without due care" can be translated to mean a variety of things from speeding to knowingly driving your car in extreme conditions when it is not prepared for them.

Creative Director | Dub Allstars co. / Videographer | The Box One Collective

www.theboxone.com

Gerg

Spot on dork,  :cool:
'92 GTI VRT - '93.5 Corrado VR6 - '04.5 BMP GLI - '92 Syncro Wagon

boomfunk

Hit the nail on the head. Perhaps a bit of a campaign to raise awareness so people aren't blind sided but otherwise a good solution.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 17, 16:13 by boomfunk »
if that thing was any more sleeper it\'d be comatose

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
I think if they really wanted to. Whoever is in charge of things would just go to the VPD commissioner and be like "Yo, I need you to start ticketing people who are driving around on bald all season and getting stuck in the snow and holding up traffic"

The VPD Commissioner goes to the traffic department and is like "Yo, I need you to start handing out "driving without due care" tickets to any asshole you see getting stuck in the snow with summers or all seasons, and I need you to VI the cars with bald tires driving around in the snow"

There doesn't need to be a new law necessarily, just the authorities using the laws that are already in place and enforcing them. The language is very vague in the MVA and "driving without due care" can be translated to mean a variety of things from speeding to knowingly driving your car in extreme conditions when it is not prepared for them.
Nail on head for everything but the all season tires. All-Seasons in most cases are legal "Winter Tires" and would pass a tire check on the winter highways.

They just like a severe winter rated tirewould have to meet a tread depth minimum.

dork

• Global Moderator
  • John Player Special
    • the dub allstars
Nail on head for everything but the all season tires. All-Seasons in most cases are legal "Winter Tires" and would pass a tire check on the winter highways.

They just like a severe winter rated tirewould have to meet a tread depth minimum.

I'm not saying ticket people for having all seasons. I'm saying, if the dude is getting stuck on flat ground at an intersection and holding up traffic, then the cops should inspect the tires, and if they are less than 50%. they should get a ticket for driving without due care - Obviously your ALL SEASON tires are not good for WINTER SEASON if you can't get through an intersection or into your driveway.

Continental DWS has a "D" a "W" and an "S" cut into the tread at different depths. Dry, Wet, Snow - When the "S" is no longer visible on the tread block, it means they are no longer rated for "Snow conditions" - People drive around on DWS all year long and think "I've got Continental All Seasons, I'm gucci", when in reality, their "S" is worn off the tread block and they barely have a "W" showing (meaning it's barely safe for Wet conditions).

So whoever is in charge of enforcing the law (which seems like it isn't the police these days) should be ticketing these people who have all seasons with little to no tread. Heck, even if they have Snow tires with 10% tread left, does that mean they should be allowed up the Sea to Sky during a snow storm? Fuck no. I don't want you crashing head on into me just because you're an idiot and I'm prepared.
Creative Director | Dub Allstars co. / Videographer | The Box One Collective

www.theboxone.com

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
I got checked on my way up the sea to sky during snowmagedon. Made me happy they had 2 x5's pulled over.

killerb09

Easy solution, bring in Yearly inspections for all motorized vehicles.  $1000 fine for running a car without a valid inspection sticker and it voids any insurance you have.

Qogu

I got checked on my way up the sea to sky during snowmagedon. Made me happy they had 2 x5's pulled over.
Did they have there signals/hazards on?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Big Boost!

leeg

Easy solution, bring in Yearly inspections for all motorized vehicles.  $1000 fine for running a car without a valid inspection sticker and it voids any insurance you have.
What if I get my car inspected on all seasons in July then it snows in February?

I'm not in favor of mandatory annual inspections, they penalize everyone equally and do not much to make people responsible for their car.  If you want to mandate safer cars, do more spot checks of cars actually on the road, stuck in snow, involved in accidents and heavily fine against the problems you find to fund the program.
Knowing you might get  a $500 fine for driving on a under-inflated tire might convince you to look at your tires every day, paying a $100 annual inspection won't make you pay daily attention to your car. 

Plus, the Canadian annual safety inspections I have participated in were barely get your hands dirty BS, not a serious inspection.  cracked glass, lenses or a weak horn are not much of a threat to public safety.  Good cashflow for repair shops though.