Author Topic: Autobody recommendations  (Read 2220 times)

kerobert

• Performax Health Group
Autobody recommendations
« on: Feb 19, 18, 22:21 »
Yes I've done a search for this but many of the recommendations are from a few years ago.

I've got a 91 Corrado that needs some rust remediation along the drivers rear wheel well and needs a full respray.
Other than the rust it's in pretty good condition.

Obviously not looking for a quick in and out ICBC like job, and not looking to have it showroom quality as it's going to be the daily driver for a while.

I called Morita's in New West and was told a year before they could get to it and then would be a long time before it was completed.
I can't be without it for an undetermined amount of time.

Thanks for your recommendations everyone. I totally appreciate it.

Robert
Robert Libbey RMT
Registered Massage Therapist
Triathlete

dutchOven

• Scooby Dubber
Re: Autobody recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 18, 00:19 »
Fastrack Autobody.  :thumbup:

I have no idea what their timeline is but definitely worth checking them out. And in case you've got one hiding in your garage, they're the only certified Mclaren repair facility in Western Canada... :D

http://www.fastrackautobody.com/
I eat people.

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 18, 09:19 »
FastTrack is a Production shop, this type of repair is the last thing they want to see.

You need to find a small shop that doesn't do much ICBC work or better yet a Bodyman who can do it at home. No Production shop will want to touch a car like this when they get paid $1000 by ICBC to paint a front bumper and can do 10 of those a day or $30,000 to replace a front bumper on a McLaren.

Rust repair is time consuming and Production shops are fast paced, car comes in, car goes out.

Prime example was when I worked at a High Production ICBC shop, a guy came in with his beetle to be painted and some body work done, it wasn't even rusty, and it was already fully stripped down. We charged him $15,000 to do a job that he could have had done for less then $5000 if he was resourceful.

We did a few jobs like that, if the customer didn't know any better, we gave them the go away price and if they agreed we would do it
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

witchcraftz

• Testers
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 18, 11:20 »
I'd recommend Express Lane Autobody in surrey. :)

dutchOven

• Scooby Dubber
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 18, 11:41 »
FastTrack is a Production shop, this type of repair is the last thing they want to see.

For sure but after a friend of mine dropped scaffolding on my fender/hood, Fastrack quoted me a reasonable price to do some minor (non-ICBC) repairs to my 20 year old Subaru. Maybe it wasn't the type of repair they wanted, and maybe it's just because it was a Subaru and they're Subaru guys,  but they treated me professionally, and didn't give me a "go away" price.
I eat people.

AirCooledRules

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 18, 11:58 »
That type of repair to your Subaru is business as ussual for a collision shop, the type of repair this corrado needs is not collision work but restoration work. 

It's similar to taking your motor to get rebuilt at a transmission shop, sure they are mechanics but there's probably better suited places to go.

But hey, try FastTrack and see what they say, it can't hurt to ask.

At production shops where guys get paid a flat rate, the top guys at the shop want jobs where they can make good hours, a rust repair job will most likely fall upon an apprentice or the bottom guy on the totem pole who has no choice but to do it, and if you are paying regular shop rate, that's not who I want doing this type of repair.

The best way to get this repair done is to find a guy who does it at home. Lots of bodymen have equipped garages at home and do side work. Bodyman wage is not very high, $30/h is pretty much where you top out unless you work somewhere spectacular, so body guys often do cash jobs at home for a little more. Sure beats paying $100+/h and ussually the guys who have the tools at home know what they are doing.

That's how I've always done it. Ask around until you find someone.
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

The Producer

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 18, 12:40 »
i'm struggling to find a shop to do some bodywork for me too - icbc shops don't want the work, and restoration shops are crazy $$$ and booked out months in advance.

Any tips Jakub? I need repairs to a foam injected spoiler and paint. I've just got no leads in this industry at all beyond my own big shop customers.

(not trying to jump your post kerobert - maybe we can help each other find somebody interested in some side work)

Ltw1 by GhstRidr, on Flickr

Ltw1 by GhstRidr, on Flickr

kerobert

• Performax Health Group
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 18, 19:16 »
I've had the same issues.
Talked to a patient of one who owns Fix Auto in burnaby, and he said he didn't want the work either as ICBC is their B&B.
He recommended http://www.integracustomcollision.com.

I'll drop by Thursday for an estimate and see what they say.
Yes the restoration shops want and arm and leg. I've looked for bodymen and have been unsuccessful so far. The search continues.

Where's Kyle these day's? His Red Corrado looked pretty good from the pics I saw... although that was a few years ago now.
Robert Libbey RMT
Triathlete

AirCooledRules

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 18, 19:29 »
Kyle is at Richmond Autobody.  They don't want to see your corrado lol
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

kerobert

• Performax Health Group
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 18, 12:25 »
Well it looks like I'll be taking one for the team, since no one has had any good experiences with any shops, bodymen are unicorns, and no regular ICBC shops will touch the corrado.
I've had a lot of high $ estimates, which seem like go away estimates.

I stopped by Westcoast Mechanical, 778-918-6330, in New Westminster. Small rough looking place, but was able to see works in progress and some near finished. Definitely got a lot more info from them than anywhere else. Got to see some examples, mostly classic cars as that is their niche.
They are currently working on a 56 convertible corvette, 70's Charger, a hotrod for hotrod magazine...

Tyler (owner with 25yrs experience) seemed eager to do some good work to the Corrado to appeal more to the VW community.

I'm pretty skeptical of everyone, but i didn't feel like I was getting any salesman like talk from him. Seemed pretty honest, very old school style of running a business. Pictures documented at all steps of the process and emailed.
Start to finish 3 weeks approx.

I was honest and voiced concerns about many aspects of bodywork, paint runs, shitty work in general that we have all seen, some have experienced etc....

It's a risk.

If anyone has any feedback about them, please speak up, otherwise the Corrado is going in to the shop in May.
Robert Libbey RMT
Triathlete

AirCooledRules

« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 18, 14:17 »
Looking forward to seeing this work get completed. With VWs ( unlike 50s corvettes ) people ussually bitch and complain but never actually follow through with bodywork so it's refreshing that some restoration work is going to enhance your Corrado.
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

kerobert

• Performax Health Group
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 18, 17:06 »
Well I have one more location to look at tomorrow.
I'll be heading to integral Auto on Clark. Looks like they work on old Porche's and lambos.
Robert Libbey RMT
Triathlete

kerobert

• Performax Health Group
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 18, 13:26 »
Integral Auto says they can do it, but only if no one else will.
Went down the street to a classic hot rod place. They'll do all the work, will come out mint for $15,000+
They have some very nice work being done there, best I've seen so far.

Seems EVERYONE has "A Guy" that can do it, but most won't do the work or take the time and have the finesse.

Still looking....
Robert Libbey RMT
Triathlete

AirCooledRules

« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 18, 13:27 »
What about the place yesterday that agreed to take on the job ?
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

kerobert

• Performax Health Group
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 18, 22:39 »
I'm less comfortable with them as I was initially, even then I wasn't the most comfortable.
I know that some places look really bad, but put out amazing work...

Intrgra Autobody would do it, but reluctantly. They referred me to http://classiccustoms.ca as they know those guys love the work that the corrado needs.

It's becoming apparent that the classic car shops may be the route to go as they have the knowledge, skills and care. They take care of the car as if it was their own.... and that costs $$$$.

I won't be selling the Corrado ever. It's my 57 Corvette AFAIC.
I've always loved them and can't believe I own one. I actually got asked twice today to sell it! LOL!

Sooo... I'm getting more comfortable with the classic car quote.
Classic customs is the only one to promise to provide me with a detailed quote with what to expect. They took pics and will be providing a complete breakdown estimate. They were also the only ones who informed me that the car has had previous damage, that my father in law never told me about. Now that they have pointed it out, it's hard not to tell.

Robert Libbey RMT
Triathlete

SR-71

• Top post score!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 18, 10:46 »
DAS. Expect nothing.

kerobert

• Performax Health Group
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 18, 22:15 »
uh, no.
I know someone who used to work there.
not what I'm looking for.
Robert Libbey RMT
Triathlete

kerobert

• Performax Health Group
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 18, 21:14 »
So just a small update.
Did some homework reviewing some autobody recommendations from Revscene.

Decided to stop by VIP Autobody in Burnaby. They are actually just down the street from my office.
Nice place, knowledgeable owner and shop mechanic, was able to get a estimate within a couple of hours emailed to me, with an offer to talk about it and discuss my wants and needs.

Will try to stop by again tomorrow and see if I can see some of their work in person. Their pics and reviews are pretty good.

Anyone have any experience with them?
Robert Libbey RMT
Triathlete

kerobert

• Performax Health Group
« Reply #18 on: Apr 18, 18, 22:37 »
Quick Update...

Corrado is going into VIP Auto on Saturday for body work and repaint - same colour - Toffee Grey.
Everything is getting taken off, windows getting pulled courtesy of Bullet Autoglass, bumpers, hatch and hood all off. spare VR6 Hood getting paint matched and installed.

Couple of Questions:
Although I like the look of these cars without the door side mouldings, all shops I've talked with have recommended them staying on. Saves on Door dings. Thoughts?
Thoughts on Door handles - have them painted same as car (Toffee Grey) or keep them black?
Badgeless grill - keep black or paint same colour of car

Anything you'd like to contribute... fire away!

Pic is currently how the car is sitting. Colour is staying the same.
Robert Libbey RMT
Triathlete

AirCooledRules

« Reply #19 on: Apr 19, 18, 00:25 »
Why are you painting the entire car ?
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz