Author Topic: Shipping a Car  (Read 335 times)

killerb09

Shipping a Car
« on: Jul 20, 17, 08:00 »
So with my upcoming move it's put me between a rock and hard place with my lovely GTX.
I have 2 other cars one of which I'm driving across and the other is being shipped already.

SO here is the burning question:
How to get a salvage title car shipped in Canada on the cheap. 

It runs, drives and how no problem starting and moving around under it's own power however does not have the ability to be driven and cannot have road insurance/plates to my knowledge.  Easily driven onto/off of trailers, flatdecks, train, what ever.

The options I've got from my research are:
1. Leave it for the vultures
2. Tow it across with my Xterra(5000lbs max towing)
3. Sell it/Part it out

I've got about 3 weeks....

Anyone have any idea of how to ship such a car, someone work in the industry that can give insight?

I was told my current movers won't ship a car that's not plated due to them possibly having to drive the car at some point.  I doubt that's the real case and it would likely more fall under the insurance crap instead.

germanstyle

• Global Moderator
  • Wheel Whore
Re: Shipping a Car
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 17, 08:48 »
Grab one of those car dollies from U-Haul and just tow it behind the xtera.  It would be well below the 5000lb capacity and would get it there in one piece.

Toyota 4runner, Ram 3500, BMW M3

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 17, 09:05 »
The fact that you only want $1000 for it leads me to believe that its just a costly burden to drag with you across the country.  I'd sell / part / scrap the car and sell off the usable bits before you move!

That just my 2 cents!

malamikigo

• pebbleandpine.ca
    • Phrozen Photography
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 17, 09:53 »
Agree with Stephan.

killerb09

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 17, 10:52 »
How do I take a 4x6 utility trailer and my car at the same time.....lol

Well the reasoning behind the "$1000" price is I figure that's what the market would bear on it....seems I'm dead wrong on that.  Started there and allowed some wiggle room. In the end if I ship it the cost then to sell/value in Ontario would need to be over $3000(est $2000 for shipping).

germanstyle

• Global Moderator
  • Wheel Whore
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 17, 10:55 »
How do I take a 4x6 utility trailer and my car at the same time.....lol

Well the reasoning behind the "$1000" price is I figure that's what the market would bear on it....seems I'm dead wrong on that.  Started there and allowed some wiggle room. In the end if I ship it the cost then to sell/value in Ontario would need to be over $3000(est $2000 for shipping).

If that's the case I would just sell it off for cheap than, no need to pay 2k to ship it, the car isn't worth that and isn't rare enough to warrant those costs.
Toyota 4runner, Ram 3500, BMW M3

killerb09

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 17, 11:16 »
it's funny you mention that.....I thought I WAS doing that, selling a GTX with 156k on it with full Euro kit for $1000.  I remember when these cars brought 5g's all day.  Now you can't seemingly give them away if they even have a single spot of rust anywhere on them.  It's a shame honestly.  Although the salvage title is likely keeping many away. 

I'm looking at the options now, My GTI will be shipped easily enough provided it gets back from the Body shop in time, but I may end up hooking a dolly up to the GTX and towing it across and letting it act like a utility trailer.  I get paid mileage to tow a trailer so either way it will be a money maker.  Maybe even add a roof rack and basket to the car for more storage.

Now if there was a way I could turn my Utility trailer into a car hauler.....that would be awesome.

boomfunk

« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 17, 13:53 »
I shipped a car from Toronto to here for 900-1000 roughly. Livingston International I think was the company. Don't need insurance/plates on the car.
if that thing was any more sleeper it\'d be comatose

Abbythug

• Testers
« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 17, 13:58 »
Ive used livingston for shipping a car from here to toronto, was around 1100-1200. Car didnt have insurance or plates either
You gonna be a fucking smartass in every thread you find?
                                                                        -bigdaddyroth

killerb09

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 17, 10:42 »
I was contacted by Hansen's Shipping, they weren't very pleasant to deal with when I had more questions then they had answers.
Apparently for them to ship my GTI, it needs to have a full BC inspection completed, A full appraisal completed and needs insurance and plates.  I've asked for my Move arranger to see if I can have an alternate company ship the car since I get the vibe that Hansen's will be driving the car at least to Vancouver.

I just had this car rebuilt and all new suspension and brakes, I'd rather not have some punk "professional driver" beating on it before I get to.

Why does this crap have to be so difficult? 

boomfunk

« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 17, 11:02 »
Call up Livingston. No insurance necessary and they were hassle free to deal with. No inspections.
if that thing was any more sleeper it\'d be comatose

killerb09

« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 17, 08:37 »
Yup Livingstons is about $1400 Delta - Montreal, or $2200 Comox - Pembroke which really isn't bad considering the ferry alone is about $300
Either way I'll be out $2200+ for shipping the car so if I sell it for anything reasonable it's like I'm getting an additional $2200....hahahaha
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 17, 09:38 by killerb09 »