Author Topic: Importing a dismantle only car from the USA  (Read 781 times)

germanstyle

• Global Moderator
  • Wheel Whore
Importing a dismantle only car from the USA
« on: Mar 09, 18, 15:04 »
I know we have some threads about importing a car for personal use from the US, but I'm not sure if we've got anything that relates strictly to importing a parts only car. 
I'm looking at bringing in a car that would be for parts only, what does the process look like now?  I know some changes have happened since I last imported a car so I was hoping someone has done it recently and can offer up some info or a walk through of the process. :thumbup:
Toyota 4runner, Ram 3500

witchcraftz

• Testers
Re: Importing a dismantle only car from the USA
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 18, 16:51 »
This is what I did 2 years ago for a salvage car but I think the process for a parts car is similar:

1 - Make scanned copies of your license & passport - you will need a package of documents that are scanned to do this process and these are the first 2 required.

2 - Find a car and check it is in the list of admissible vehicles:
https://www.riv.ca/VehicleAdmissibility.aspx

3 - Check that there are no active recalls on the car (go to the USA manufacturer website and use their VIN recall check) and save the document/webpage - if there are recalls you need a letter from the manufacturer on official letterhead stating that they have all been done, or invoices/receipts proving it - add to your scanned package. (www.vw.com/owners-recalls/)

4 - Check that your insurance company will insure it in Canada after import/repair

5 - Find a place to store the car near the border crossing and book it for a week or two

6 - Buy the car - scan the sale confirmation so you have the price before taxes and shipping!

7 - Insure the car for driving it over or transport if possible (Canadian insurances will not cover a salvage vehicle during transport)

8 - Get the car shipped to the storage place

9 - Get the seller to scan the car's title & and bill of sale and mail the originals to you via registered mail. (or pick them up in person)

10 - Find a broker to do the AES for vehicle export from USA - non-residents must use a broker (you need the scanned documents for this) (it takes a min of 3 days after filling out the form) (I used these guys, good price and quickly done! links: http://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/...-requirements/)

11 - Fill out the Canada Form1 for import (you need all the scanned documents for this) https://www.riv.ca/OnlineForms/Home/Landing

12 - Email the Vehicle Export Worksheet to USA border crossing (each crossing has it's own unique forms/process) - lookup the contact info here: https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports
You need to submit the form 72 hours before taking the car across the border.

13 - Call both Canadian border and USA border services verify with them that you have all the required documents.

14 - Get a Canadian temporary permit/plate, if you can't get one you need to move it with a trailer - but make sure that all 4 wheels are off the ground! (you can easily rent a truck+trailer from uHaul for a day)

15 - Wash the car thoroughly inside and out and check for anything hidden inside like drugs, plants, food, weapons or firearms - VERY important - you are the liable owner now!

16 - Bring the car to the border

17 - Pay duties & fees

18 - If required get it repaired and get the salvage inspection - You only have a short amount of time to do this and pass or else the car will be declared parts only!

19 - Get it inspected out of province (you may need to get modifications done to pass)

20 - Drive it!

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 18, 17:48 »
^ most, if not nearly all of what you posted would be irrelevant to bringing over a parts-only car.
'01 A6 2.7TT 6MT  |  '81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |    '04 Touareg V10 TDI    |   '96 YZF750R

germanstyle

• Global Moderator
  • Wheel Whore
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 18, 20:44 »
^ most, if not nearly all of what you posted would be irrelevant to bringing over a parts-only car.

Care to actually go over the steps instead of pointing out the wrong steps?
Toyota 4runner, Ram 3500

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 18, 07:11 »
Anything to do with Insurance, Inspections & Recall compliance is irrelevant, but a good informative post regardless.

I like that you pointed out the " look for drugs ". I've brought cars in that had ash trays full of Marijuana and the sort that I never thought to check and never had an issue, but if found would probably pose an issue.

I remember heading towards the border with a friend in a MK2 which was lent out to a customer years ago and by chance when reaching for something under the seat, we discovered a small envelope with cocaine. We turned that sucker around and headed away from the border immediately
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

Joker

• Global Moderator
  • Blood Spit and Tears
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 18, 16:10 »
18 - If required get it repaired and get the salvage inspection - You only have a short amount of time to do this and pass or else the car will be declared parts only!

What if the car needs to be restored. Say you buy a classic auto thats basically in parts thats needs a full resto. Is there a time limit on that too?
.:Stage Awesome:.

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 18, 16:56 »
What if the car needs to be restored. Say you buy a classic auto thats basically in parts thats needs a full resto. Is there a time limit on that too?

I hope not. I bought my beetle in 2003 in Idaho and havnt inspected it yet
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

witchcraftz

• Testers
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 18, 16:35 »
A salvage car only has 1 year to be repaired and pass inspection. Any more than that and it becomes a parts car, this is what I was told by RIV a couple years back when I imported my Golf.

Quote from RIV website : "If it is apparent that a vehicle will not be able to pass the RIV inspection process within 45 days (or 1 year for salvage vehicles) from the date of import, contact RIV immediately."
https://www.riv.ca/HelpFAQs.aspx

However the caveat is this from the Transport Canada website: "Non-regulated vehicles, such as those older than 15 years, buses manufactured before January 1, 1971 and other types of non-regulated designs do not have to enter the Salvage Vehicle Program since they are exempt for having to comply with the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) and its regulations."
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-faq-before-import-1278.htm

So your Beetle should be fine but if it's  a "New Beetle" you'd be hooped. :)
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 18, 16:38 by witchcraftz »

germanstyle

• Global Moderator
  • Wheel Whore
« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 18, 11:56 »
Just wanted to update this.  I ended up bringing a couple cars across and brought them both over as salvage rebuild instead of parts only to leave my options open.  In order to volunteer them as salvage after the fact I would need to have a letter from the scrap company stating the cars VIN, description etc and stating that the car was indeed sold as scrap and will not see the road again.

I spoke with RIV today and they confirmed you have 1 year to have the car inspected, the fella there suggested not taking that long so as to give paperwork a chance to be processed, but confirmed it was a year.  Aside from that the process was still fairly straight forward and didn't have any hiccups along the way.
Toyota 4runner, Ram 3500

witchcraftz

• Testers
« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 18, 18:59 »
Congrats. Good to know the info is still valid. :)

What did you bring over?

germanstyle

• Global Moderator
  • Wheel Whore
« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 18, 08:30 »
Brought over a paid of RS4's.
Toyota 4runner, Ram 3500