Author Topic: School me on gaming laptops  (Read 183 times)

Richmond69er

School me on gaming laptops
« on: Dec 06, 17, 17:54 »
Hey all..

im looking to buy a gaming laptop for a 13 year old. i know i could get a more powerful desktop in the same budget range but he will need the portability of a laptop. at home use he can have a monitor and a keyboard that he uses at his desk. anyways... i have no idea what any of the companies are offering or which is best or worst. Ive been looking online at stuff as well as visited ncix at the mall. the more i look into it the more lost i become!

a friend of mine put me on a website newegg, and ive been looking on there. honestly im hoping this laptop lasts for the next 4-5 years for this kid.
im looking to spend 1500$ all in including tax.

if anyone has some information or a recommendation im all ears!

thanks in advance
Air is for cheaters

Qogu

Re: School me on gaming laptops
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 17, 20:03 »
I have a Asus g750Jw republic of gamers, Windows 8 i7-4700 etc etc.. (you can look up the specs if you wish). I've had this computer for 4 Years and it hasn't slowed down a bit, with the exceptions that I wipe it every year, clean it etc. This is out of your price range but yes it's possible to have a perfect running computer for 4 Years.

To get a "Gamer" computer your gonna be paying a chunk of your change, a true gamer computer usually ranges now from $1500 to-2500 avg. As well as if your internet sucks balls then there is no point in getting a relatively over expensive computer (unless you have plans in the near future)

Run a speed test, yes if you do this more often you slow it down (like once a day for a year you'll notice a difference) then go from there

Gamer laptops are generally bigger, heavier and bulkier, yes you can find some smaller but your generally looking at a 16inch avg computer for gaming

Don't forget gaming comes accessories? A gaming pad is usually $60, a keyboard (mechanical) are around $120 ish, a mouse is usually your pick and what fits your hands the most comfortable (this ranges)

If I were you I'd checkout "Ncix" they are like the Pgperformance to computers lol they have some  good deals and very wide variety of more stuff with very intelligent employees.

Note: you shouldn't really be bringing a nice computer without a padded bag or knapsack, find a better knapsack that still looks good and does the job. It be a shame a kid kicked it while it was on the ground in school walking by or was dropped or thrown on the ground forgetting it was there.

Check your prices before buying, best buy, London drugs etc.
Hope this helps

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 17, 20:07 by Qogu »
If the Earth is the third world from the sun.... Then isn't Every Country a Third World Country?

aba16v

« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 17, 20:52 »
NCIX just declared bankruptcy, I'd steer clear.

Asus ROG is the way to go if you don't mind the ricer look from a price/performance standpoint (kinda like hondas.... with the same idea as not wanting to be seen in public). Well put together, modular components in most models. Make sure it has USB C to future proof it and can support at least 16gb of ram (everything can nowadays).

My advice: Buy used or wait. There are some massive changes coming to the mobile market next year. The last 5 years, with the exception of a dramatic improvement of GPU efficiency, have been pretty stagnant. My room mate has a zx50vw that he bought at bestbuy in the states over a year ago for ~850US. Battery life is as bad as you could expect for a 9th gen GPU, but it's a solid machine especially at the price point.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 17, 20:54 by aba16v »

Richmond69er

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 17, 21:11 »
im not worried about accesorries as this kid already has a mech keyboard, and a mouse and a monitor etc.
my friend sent me this link :
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234739
i believe this was being offered at 1149$

i wasnt sure about specs etc and now in the time i was looking at other models this one is sold out. is there something compareable in this price bracket?
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 17, 21:13 by Richmond69er »
Air is for cheaters

Qogu

« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 17, 21:23 »
These are ones that I've played on and have personal experience with either people from school or friends.

- Acer Predator Helios 300 Flagship Gaming Laptop (see details for better nore specs but is really good for what you get)
- ASUS ROG G753VE-DS74 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop
- Razer Blade Stealth 12.5 Inch QHD Gaming Laptop
-Asus G702 republic of gamers
-ASUS ROG G751JY-VS71 17-Inch Gaming Laptop

Now I favor Asus.... I've always had good costumer service when needed. As well as I just overall have enjoyed my experience and nascent had a flaw since I moved from Hp.... depending on who you favor I would highly recommend some of the computer up above.

If the Earth is the third world from the sun.... Then isn't Every Country a Third World Country?

Qogu

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 17, 22:55 »
NCIX just declared bankruptcy, I'd steer clear.

Asus ROG is the way to go if you don't mind the ricer look from a price/performance standpoint (kinda like hondas.... with the same idea as not wanting to be seen in public). Well put together, modular components in most models. Make sure it has USB C to future proof it and can support at least 16gb of ram (everything can nowadays).

My advice: Buy used or wait. There are some massive changes coming to the mobile market next year. The last 5 years, with the exception of a dramatic improvement of GPU efficiency, have been pretty stagnant. My room mate has a zx50vw that he bought at bestbuy in the states over a year ago for ~850US. Battery life is as bad as you could expect for a 9th gen GPU, but it's a solid machine especially at the price point.

I haven't been to Ncix in a bit but damn! Sort of sucks.

GeForce GTX 1060 laptops with an example a 6GB of GDDR5 video memory. This will easily allow you to play the latest AAA gaming titles and offers far superior performance compared to the previous generation GTX 960M GPU. The GTX 1060 has also been designed for far better performance with virtual reality setups

Now if your son is playing a lot of Virtual Reality Games the GTX1070 is by far the least I'd go.... It needs it.

Now we move onto processing. Intel Core i7-6700HQ processor from the Skylake generation. While it might be a generation behind, this processor will easily keep up with your gaming needs (if not virtual reality) and will have no issues running video and photo editing applications.

Now the Ram! This is what we need us gamers  :o you'll need atleast 16GB of DDR4 2400MHz which would be a nice rate to look for of RAM which and offers a slight increase in performance over the widely used DDR4 2133MHz RAM (considering that he will have a higher variety of games to play on the computer) - So Find Something around 2400MHz

So with all this said I would Highly recommend the
ROG G751JT-DB73 (Republic of Gamers)

This has everything you need but to note
On this is the computer fans are loud when your playing (which you have headphones on so it's not so bad)

Other than that it comes with the following
-Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6GHz [View Benchmarks]Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M 3GB Dedicated [View Framerates]16GB DDR3L RAM256GB SSD / 1024GB 7200 RPM HDD

17.3 inch, 1920 x 1080 pixels (IPS)Windows 8.14.5 hours battery life8.4 lbs

ProsGreat gaming performanceStylish designComfortable keyboardExcellent build qualitySharp display

And yes I copied and pasted this because I am not much of a gamer  :thumbup:

Hope this helps on finding a laptop a little easier.

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 17, 22:59 by Qogu »

Richmond69er

« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 17, 08:23 »
I ended up ordering this

https://m.newegg.ca/products/N82E16834234739

Seems like a pretty solid deal.
Air is for cheaters

Jeremy Sawatzky #2

• Hodor
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 17, 11:04 »
For a 13 year old that is one hell of a start into pc gaming
2005 BMW 325i, 2016 Mazda CX5, 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure, 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Richmond69er

« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 17, 12:22 »
^ well he's been patient haha.
His last laptop was an older alien 15x? We upgraded the ram to 8gb and put a 256 ssd into it. But it just doesn't keep up with the newest games. So hopefully this will work good for him now for his high school career.

Any recommendations for a 24" gaming monitor?
Air is for cheaters