Author Topic: Unparking your car/unwintering  (Read 243 times)

Nine

• VW Problem (it's okay if you go to meetings)
Unparking your car/unwintering
« on: Apr 19, 17, 19:11 »
I know you're suppose to change the oil and coolant, and take it for a nice long drive to dry out any moisture. Obviously you have to do the coolant after said drive, but what about the oil? Can you do an oil change on a cold car? Anything else I'm not thinking about (perhaps something to do with the gas)? It's a MK2.
Quote from: strupo on 27 September 2010, 18:46:40 "you know that scene in EuroTrip when they go to the nude beach. That's why girls don't show up to meets."

Acs

Re: Unparking your car/unwintering
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 17, 00:08 »
How long has it been sitting?

Parts

• Professional driver, closed course. Do not attempt
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 17, 08:49 »
If it's just been sitting over winter, it'll be fine. As long as it wasn't filthy when parked. Get it warm, change it out.
Start off slow, swerve the steering wheel a few times, give a couple of brake checks. It's a car. It's what it does.
Remember people: Use your turn signal to exit a round-about, not to enter.

jesse

• Dingdongs
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 17, 13:57 »
Shit is that a thing? I fired up the Audi after 5 years and drove it around town with nothing more than some fresh air in the tires

Parts

• Professional driver, closed course. Do not attempt
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 17, 15:11 »
Well yeah, you gotta get rid of the winter air.
Remember people: Use your turn signal to exit a round-about, not to enter.

Nine

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 17, 17:39 »
According to Shmee's awesome PSA http://dubberz.com/forum/shop-talk/psa-how-to-store-your-car!/

I would have done the coolant and the oil before I parked it, but I didn't get a chance with the fucking snow. Priority was to get in safe under cover in the garage before it got snowed in again. It's been sitting for 4 months. It got a full tank of gas (perhaps too full?) and extra coolant added to the mix, and tires inflated. It had a fairly fresh oil change before I parked it with 10W40 Lubro Mos2, which is probably honestly still fine.
Quote from: strupo on 27 September 2010, 18:46:40 "you know that scene in EuroTrip when they go to the nude beach. That's why girls don't show up to meets."

aba16v

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 17, 18:59 »
Shit my old man let a Mk1 sit for 12 years, I changed the plugs, oil, battery, rotor cap, and drove it across the country. Broke a V belt 8000k later though.  It's been six months you really have nothing to worry about. Waste of money changing your coolant yearly but I'd change the oil and call it good. Then again I don't use a dedicated charger for every battery I find so what do I know  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 17, 19:01 by aba16v »

Nine

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 17, 19:23 »
I'm only thinking coolant because it's at least 3 years old. Car doesn't have a lot of kms on it since then mind you, but that's not the issue.