Author Topic: mk2's with mk3 dash swap  (Read 2440 times)

jettag60

mk2's with mk3 dash swap
« on: Oct 08, 07, 22:42 »
who's got one done here?

i've got some questions

yes i know there is alot of info on vortex but i need some canadian spec questions answered

jettag60

Re: mk2's with mk3 dash swap
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 07, 22:02 »
ttt

Doubledouble

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 07, 00:00 »
I have done one in my 91 Golf 2dr.  What do ya need to know?

jettag60

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 07, 08:17 »
what parts did you use from the mk3?

this is the list that i would think:

dash
all dash wiring
cluster
air box and vents??? i don't have ac on my car...
do the mk3's in canada have "knee bars" like in the states?
did you use the mk3 steering column?

did you cut out the bulkhead for the vents?

any other info could be great

thanks

Doubledouble

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 07, 22:41 »
I used all the parts you have listed, including the MK3 heater box, mine was withour AC as well.  I did use the Steering column from the MK3 however the hoop at the bottom was cut from the MK2 column and welded to the MK3.  I did remove the bulkhead (contrary to some peoples head shaking) but welding in new supports to make myself feel better.  It does count for some structual integrity but its not going to make your car fall apart.  AND it makes the process a HELL of alot easier with respect to the heat vents and defrost vents.

Mounting the MK3 knee bar will consist of taking aprox 3/4 -1" from either side and lining it up to the bottom of the MK2 dash supports (the little brackets that the MK2 dash originally bolted to on the outside, by the doors.  Make a few temp brackets and test fit with the dash.

Most of the wiring from the heater, defrost, and cig lighter is all plug and play.  PROVIDED you have CE2 wiring.  The ignition wiring is the same as well, plug and play.  The cluster is dependant on if your doing a full eng swap as well.  If not get 2 bentleys and start cross referencing the clusters and you will have some minor splicing to do.  As well Vortex is a great reference as well, It helped me out ALOT.

The hardest part to the whole swap was fitting the dash, alot has to be cut away from the sides as well as the front where it meets the window, trust me it will not fit otherwise.  Take your time in this department, my best tools for the job was a dremmel tool as well as a razor knife.  Make sure you peel away the vinyl on the dash so you can put it back down after all the cutting you do to make it fit, I wrapped mine around so it would give the inpression that it was never cut in the first place.  To peel the vinyl away I stole the wifes blow dryer and got it super warm and peeled carefully.

The heater core and box is reletively easy, a few mounting holes are different but it's not rocket science, just make sure you do not change the height of the new holes too much or your heater core will not fit correctly. Its relatively easy.

I will say that if you are not mechanically inclined, or suffer from lack of patience, or for that matter do not like rolling all over the iside of your car, then I would STRONLY suggest not getting into it.  BY the way take the seats out before attempting this, its easier trust me.  If you plan to do this, I'd be happy to try lend ya a few tips along the way, as well Vortex will be your friend but alot of broken posts are there now.  Buy alot of beer, it will help you too...

All the best

S

jettag60

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 07, 08:01 »
ya i knew it was a bitch of a job....i think i'll pass as i've already put way too much time into this damn car

maybe next year...we'll see

just a couple more questions though, are there any mk3's without ac?? i would guess the base models?

did you have any troubles with the defrost ducting at the back of the dash, i read that those are the hardest to get to work

i've got ce2 already but would probably just grab the whole harness anyways....

thanks man

Doubledouble

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 07, 21:09 »
As far as I'm aware of regarding the AC, I pulled the heater box out of a 94 CL, if I'm not mistaken.  Remember to get all the cables as well they are a bitch to fab up and exchange from the MK2 box. 

As for the defrost ducts, I had a few rubbing issues along the very front where the dash will meet the windshield, but keep in mind I took out my bulkhead too... I have seen peeps keep the B/H and they have had to butcher the hell outta the defrost ducts.  When I removed the B/H I took measurements and laser leveled to whole front area of the firewall, and absolutely no movement was to be seen or measured.  The windshield is one hell of a support for any vehicle.  I guess I cant stress enoung how much easier it is to do this swap with that huge pain in the ass removed.

Get the whole harness just to be on the safe side.  much easier that way...

If I'm not mistaken I still have a few pic's of my swap and I do have templates of where I cut the dash... Are you local to the lower mainland? I'm all the way out in Chilliwack but hell I'd be happy to toss in a few hours of work to point ya in the right direction, providing your not too too far away.  I drive crane truck for a living so a drive does not bother me as long as its not like a 4 hour drive.

Keep in touch and lemme know when ya wana tackle it.  Keep in mind, if your car is a daily driver and you need it through the swap its fun to drive without a dash...  :o

all the best

Stacey

jettag60

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 07, 07:59 »
ya i'm in burnaby...

the large pain in the ass you were talking about was the windshield? can i can imagine it would be tons easier with that removed

i'll keep thinking about it and i'll let you know when/if i ever go through with it

thanks for the help stacey

bit

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 17, 17:02 »
I did remove the bulkhead (contrary to some peoples head shaking) but welding in new supports to make myself feel better.  It does count for some structual integrity but its not going to make your car fall apart.  AND it makes the process a HELL of alot easier with respect to the heat vents and defrost vents.
What kind of support did you weld? Have you got any photos?

Also do I have to cut anything in the red circled area or only in the blue and at the middle windshield area?

Gerg

« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 17, 18:53 »
10 years ago
Good luck
'92 GTI VRT - '93.5 Corrado VR6  - '04 R32 - '01 GTI 24V