Author Topic: Can an OBDeleven do coding for what I need?  (Read 585 times)

bobbytomorow

Can an OBDeleven do coding for what I need?
« on: Jul 03, 18, 08:09 »
I have recently retrofitted a multifunction steering wheel to my 2006 A3 following a tutorial on a vwvortex, now I just need to do the coding so the buttons on the new wheel function properly. Although the tutorial uses VCDS to do the coding could this also be done using OBDeleven?

This is where Iím at in the tutorial for reference:
plug your VCDS cable into your car and computer. Open the VCDS program, and go to module 16, steering. My original coding looked like this: 0010042 -- the first two numbers should stay the same. The "1" is for automatic. A manual has a "0" there. Leave that alone. The next number tells the computer the steering wheel type. Full MFSW is a "4". The next number tells the computer if you have tiptronic or not. Add "1" to whatever is there. In my case, 0+1=1, so I put in a "1". The next number tells the computer what your steering control module is, and the next tells it if you have a rear wiper or not. You can probably leave these alone. My new coding is: 0014142. Click "Do it!" and you should get a message that says "Coding accepted". Once this happens, cycle the ignition back off, start her up, and go for a test drive. You're done

Basically would I be able to do that step using an obdeleven ?

83RedRoc

Re: Can an OBDeleven do coding for what I need?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 18, 12:42 »
It should.

bobbytomorow

« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 18, 12:46 »
Before I hit the order button I would like to know for sure so I don't waste money

superchicken

• Chopper Togger
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 18, 16:50 »
The pro version will do coding, I can confirm that at least.  I have an OBDEleven Pro and was able to code my DRL's and foglights to come on with my highbeams on my MK5 GTI. (6-lights on)

The primary disadvantage between VCDS and the OBDEleven is twofold:  It requires an internet connection to handshake with your car, and measuring blocks don't store descriptions (so you need to reference VCDS website to find the generic block).

Otherwise, it's nice to be able to use an android device in the car vs. carrying around a windows laptop.
flickr.com/iangwills
facebook.com/iangwills

bobbytomorow

« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 18, 21:54 »
Thanks for this response I think Iím going to pull the trigger tonight...it was  either this or a vag com knock off and Iíd rather have something supported, has a bit of a community and that I know will work out of the box...also having it be portable definitely seems like a plus. Only downside so far is the community seems pretty small especially for my vintage A3, I posted this same question on about 5 forums including the official obdeleven forum and have gotten pretty much no response anywhere aside from yours, at least in terms of being informative.

Cheers

superchicken

• Chopper Togger
« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 18, 08:12 »
I wouldn't say it's a full replacement for VCDS.  It's a supplementary tool.  I had trouble with it clearing codes on my K-Line 99.5 Jetta TDI.  It could read codes, but writing back was hit-or-miss due to the KWP2000 serial emulation over bluetooth.
flickr.com/iangwills
facebook.com/iangwills

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 18, 08:53 »
I donít like that you have to pay for certain things in OBD11, or that it needs an internet connection. I bought a Chinese VCDS for $50, works great on all 88-current VAG products.
'01 A6 2.7TT 6MT  |  '81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |    '04 Touareg V10 TDI    |   '96 YZF750R

Tooly

« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 18, 13:22 »
I recently traded in my old micro-can vcds cable for the new hex2 cable. On my 2018 GTI, VW is using a new module (5F I think it is) that only the latest cable could access. Even with a trade in credit the new cable was expensive but the I felt it was worth it.

One crappy thing about the new vcds cables is that unless you buy the unlimited cable, you're limited to the number of VIN's you can use it on.

bobbytomorow

« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 18, 15:42 »
I donít like that you have to pay for certain things in OBD11, or that it needs an internet connection. I bought a Chinese VCDS for $50, works great on all 88-current VAG products.

Mind PM'ing me a link to said cable :^)

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 18, 16:48 »
One crappy thing about the new vcds cables is that unless you buy the unlimited cable, you're limited to the number of VIN's you can use it on.

This is probably the major thing that upsets me about the latest VCDS, you're VIN limited unless you pay more. It was always unlimited in the past. :(
'01 A6 2.7TT 6MT  |  '81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |    '04 Touareg V10 TDI    |   '96 YZF750R

aba16v

« Reply #10 on: Jul 04, 18, 16:57 »
You also need the newest cables if data logging on ea288s etc, otherwise the frame rate is way lower.

Get that they needed to stay profitable, but they should have just moved the price of the cables up $50/yr then added a consumer option and messed around with mobile separately.

Compared to other platforms for diagnostics though it's a steal.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 18, 16:58 by aba16v »

Tooly

« Reply #11 on: Jul 04, 18, 19:25 »
This is probably the major thing that upsets me about the latest VCDS, you're VIN limited unless you pay more. It was always unlimited in the past. :(

Yup. Since I traded in an old cable at least I have 10 VIN's to use while the same cable bought without a trade in would have only included 3 VIN's.

bobbytomorow

« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 18, 00:53 »
Thanks for all of the input I actually went ahead and ordered an OBDeleven from a Canadian supplier. Soon as it gets here Iíll see what happens and post the results.

bobbytomorow

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 18, 16:50 »
OBDeleven worked for the steering wheel coding. Just looked up the VCDS coding structure and entered that and it worked!