Author Topic: My journey in a slammed 62  (Read 2003 times)

Al.

My journey in a slammed 62
« on: Oct 07, 11, 19:47 »
After months and months of trying to find a beetle, i finally found one.  It is a 1962 Canadian Standard.  The car was located in Calgary (approximately 320kms / 200mi away from me).  Calgary, AB to Golden, BC in October can be quite unpredictable, but I decided it would be my only chance.  After phone calls and emails I knew that it would be the right car for me.  The seller (Mike) was awesome to deal with.  He helped me out with anything that I might need to know (as this is my first aircooled).  Mike was aware of the trip that I would be making and went totally out of his way to help me prepare for the journey.  The week before I came to get the car Mike changed the oil, flipped the rear tires, topped the car up full with premium fuel and installed a new horn for me (I would need one for an OOP inspection).

Loaded with tools, jacks, 2x4s and an array of other necessities we headed out.  The weather was not looking too bad as we headed out in the morning.  Upon arrival it started to rain. Mike showed me everything on the car that I would need to know, spent a great deal of time going over everything with me.  After getting the necessary paperwork in order, I headed out.  Here are some pictures from my journey.

In the parking lot after lunch, ready to head out

First stop, approximately 60 Kms out..Checked the car over and carried on.

Next stop (forgot to take a picture when I grabbed fuel).  The weather is not looking good ahead.  This is where I put on an extra pair of socks and and extra hoodie.  The temperature was about 7c (44f).

Starting to rain...

Stopped to check the car over again...

A picture I liked...getting closer to home

Starting to get darker and rainier..had to turn on the headlights...

About 30 minutes from home it really started to rain...

The fog had rolled in quite thick through the pass.  I decided to pull over and let some big rigs pass me and take a few photos.

After all of the rain and cold, I finally made it home.  Settled safely in my driveway...

The drive took me 4.5 hours and I loved every minute of it.  I definitely could not have done this without Mike's help.  It is so nice to deal with a great seller.  And now the car sits until spring :(.  I can't wait until next summer when I can finally cruise around and tinker with my "new" car.

Jeremy Sawatzky #2

• Hodor
Re: My journey in a slammed 62
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 11, 19:56 »
I wana be friends with Mike  :D

Awesome photos man!

reminds me of takin the rabbit over the Coquihalla in december  :lol:
2005 BMW 325i, 2016 Mazda CX5, 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure, 2006 Yamaha FZ6

tetelestia

« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 11, 19:58 »
That's a cool story, bro! Glad you made it and took some nice pictures along the way. Good luck with the car in the future and be sure to post about it here!

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 11, 02:59 »
Car looks fairly solid from the pictures!  I too have been looking for a nice solid aircooled for a while, and most of the car's i've found are south of the border.  Where did you find this car?

Great story!

Stephan

Acs

« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 11, 06:47 »
Awesome post! Makes me want a Beetle again.

kented

• 5star stunna
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 11, 11:45 »
awesome!  :thumbup: congrats on the new ride.
49' Plymouth Business Coupe
84' BMW 745I
I always know when im hitting boost because i can start to feel the springs of the seat in my back

BlackRadon

« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 11, 15:21 »
Great car al! Mike is a stand up guy. Glad yu bought that car, I was thinking about getting into another air-cooled. I am still wanting to. When I first moved to banff I bought 62 standard pretty much the same diffent color. I had such a great time driving it so many looks and just makes you feel good!

Stoked too see/hear your plans for the car.

jeepwreck

• 2012 Golf Wagon
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 11, 19:20 »
nice find..

Al.

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 11, 11:22 »
Car looks fairly solid from the pictures!  I too have been looking for a nice solid aircooled for a while, and most of the car's i've found are south of the border.  Where did you find this car?

Great story!

Stephan

I found it in Calgary on ClubVeeDub.  The car itself is very solid.  It has its bumps and scrapes, but I'm liking it for now.

seane

« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 11, 13:55 »
awesome find, enjoy the bug! :thumbup:
MKII Jetta GTX build
@seanermk2

MKIIVR6

« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 11, 15:51 »
Thank you for pulling over to let one of my company's trucks roll by.  He was going the opposite direction but I'm sure it was for the best.  Nice pics.