Motul or Castrol?

Started by Scooby, May 29, 07, 20:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooby

Time to do an oil change on my 2001 TDI golf.The dealer had 2 different oils to pick from.
Motul 10-40 or Castrol 5-30 slx.Any TDI people has something to say on the subject?Anyone use lubro moly products?

Torch

I was under the impression that you were *required* by warranty and the risk of various engine problems to use something that meets either VW's 505.00 or 505.01 oil specs.  Castrol TXT or Quaker State Diesel Semi-synth both meet it along with (I'm sure) a lot of others.
Achtung!

Cheesetoast

motul 10-40 definately. 

Moofluffen

Motul is very good  :thumbup:

Old Dude

One of the best 'Diesel' oils is Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40.

What ever one you choose, make sure the last number is '40'.

A thirty weight IMHO is just too thin for your application.

SR-71

Quote from: Torch on May 29, 07, 20:59
I was under the impression that you were *required* by warranty and the risk of various engine problems to use something that meets either VW's 505.00 or 505.01 oil specs.  Castrol TXT or Quaker State Diesel Semi-synth both meet it along with (I'm sure) a lot of others.

505.01 is for PD TDIs only. Older deezol's can get away with using any synthetic 5w-40.
DAS. Expect nothing.

Carb Girl

For the ALH TDI's it is recommend by the factory to use a 505.00 oil.

I would suggest Castrol, Amsoil, Motul or Elf but make sure you use the 5w40.

BTW, which dealer are you using?

Wyatt Earp

There are many brands that meet the older spec for TDI oil. On the older cars we use 5W40 Delo 400 full syn. On the newer cars we use Elf mostly.

5P4RK4

Any of the above listed will be fine, I just say: Dont buy it from the dealer!!!!  :thumbup:

Dude, go find another forum. This thread proves how f---ing horrible this place is.
Regards.

Al Canuck

I'm a firm believer in Elf products, and run them exclusively in all my cars.