Author Topic: CV's of doom?  (Read 2022 times)

TARGET

• Perma Banned
CV's of doom?
« on: May 30, 07, 22:34 »
My CV boot seems to have ripped. It is making a slight ticking noise under acceleration, but not the usual ticking when you turn. My question is does this mean that i need to replace the outer joint completely? Or could i get away with just throwing in new grease and a new boot?

From what i have gathered i could just replace the whole axle with new ends, for about 100 bones (AEM) and not have to worry about it at all. Being a starving student though, i'd like to see what my options are. Thanks to SR-71 and Cheyne  at Blitzkreig for their input on the situation, but i'd just like to see what the masses say.

Thanks
Luke
-Hellgti is some kind of bird...
dan said:
i wouldn't doubt that the mods have the site set up to email them when you post

Nick_2.8L

• '93 Corrado
Re: CV's of doom?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 07, 22:41 »
funny thing is this happened to me 2 days ago.

im still driving around on it cuz im waiting on a response from cheyne. but apparently you have to replace it. Unfortunatly for me, cheyne says my tranny is fuxored (all the syncros are gone bye bye) so ill have to toss in a new tranny as well, not to mention new clutch kit....  :wall: :wall: so much for the car being perfectly mint and running perfectly  :wall: :wall: :wall: ive tossed damn near $2500 in maintenance in this car so far :(

sigh, gotta love mk2s, everyone runs em into the ground and then we buy em and end up having to do all the upkeep.

cheers,
Nick

16v of fury

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 07, 23:05 »
id like to welcome you to my life.  hmm 2 broken mk2 jettas in my drive way right now.  the good one gets to see cheyne friday...

Not worth it, that would be like getting arrested for assaulting a mentally handicapped paraplegic becuase he threw first punch

broken fender

• Team Highschool
  • TH
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 07, 10:58 »
its not soo bad. axles are cheap and super easy to put it. as well as trannys.  the great thing about mk1 and mk2 is the simplicity and cheapness of repairs.  luke, just bring your car over, feed me beer and ill teach you how.
rebel without a clue

flattop414

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 07, 11:04 »
You can get rebuilt complete shafts cheap, but in my experience, you get what you pay for. The rebuilt units don't seem to be heat treated as well as the new ones were. If your doing the work yourself, and you've caught the problem early enough, I have swapped the joints (not shafts) from one side to the other, so that the wear is "behind" were the cv joint balls push on the machined pockets in the joint.New grease and boots, almost doubled the life of the joints! :yes:

digby scallop

• TH up in this bitch
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 07, 12:21 »
good idea!

you can grease and boot it, itll let you get away without changing it for another 6 months or so until it grenades  :rockin:
Nik says:
 everything was powered by grounds only
  nick_1.8t wouldnt exist if it werent for me. i'm his dad  VRT: just another $4200 penis extension  europlates are gh3y

MrPlow

• Global Moderator
  • doing what I want to do
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 07, 12:58 »
uhhhh... not sure how this was a pin up
Dean - "if it aint low it aint mine"
Duballstars (expect nothing less)

SR-71

• Top post score!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 07, 13:09 »
its not soo bad. axles are cheap and super easy to put it. as well as trannys.  the great thing about mk1 and mk2 is the simplicity and cheapness of repairs.  luke, just bring your car over, feed me beer and ill teach you how.

screw you, i already called dibs on the beer and axle change.
DAS. Expect nothing.

Estonian

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 07, 16:52 »
good idea!

you can grease and boot it, itll let you get away without changing it for another 6 months or so until it grenades  :rockin:

Haha yup. Just ignore the noise, eventually you'll just get used to it.  :thumbup:

toes

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 07, 17:37 »
Just ignore the noise, eventually you'll just get used to it.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin...

I hear nick is king of the trannies.  I don't know what that means but maybe he can help you? - roto

95redrado

• corrado's suck
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 07, 17:55 »
my boots are ripped too, have new ones sitting in my garage...now my right wheels sometime squeaks. i thought it was the steering wheel horn connecter but i realised in a garage today when i turned my wheels they squeaked alot for like the first rotation.
2003 jetta tdi
1995 corrado vrt
2015 Triumph Street Triple Rx

TARGET

• Perma Banned
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 07, 18:29 »

I'll bring a 24 pack and we can all share it.
dan said:
i wouldn't doubt that the mods have the site set up to email them when you post

Nick_2.8L

• '93 Corrado
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 07, 19:33 »

we can do mine!  :rockin:

flattop414

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 07, 21:04 »
Just remember that you can't do burnouts in reverse any more  :rockin:

TARGET

• Perma Banned
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 07, 22:15 »
damn it
dan said: