Author Topic: TDI Auto Limp mode  (Read 243 times)

killerb09

TDI Auto Limp mode
« on: Oct 23, 17, 06:02 »
Here's a question to the masses for a '06 TDI wagon with Auto Tiptronic

I personally think I have a shorted wire somewhere or something.

Car runs/drives great, however won't shift up past 3rd.  Shifts 1/2/3 perfect.  manual shifting does not change anything.

Shift solenoid replaced along with wiring harness.  I've done a bit of research and it's got PO763

I also found a burned up fuse in the main engine box for the 40amp 3rd in from the passenger side.   Would these be related?

Any help/suggestions would be awesome as I get this bucket road worthy.   

aba16v

Re: TDI Auto Limp mode
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 17, 07:20 »
Clear the transmission and ECU controller. If you disconnect the ECU in these (such as for tuning) sometimes they'll stop you from shifting into final gear.

killerb09

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 17, 06:22 »
I cleared the code and is hasn't come back, haven't been able to test drive it to see if it's shifting alright now or not. 

killerb09

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 17, 07:55 »
So minor update, Scanned with VCDS lite and retrieved a code for 00262 Shift Solenoid N90.  I was told that the previous owner replaced this solenoid with a new one however have no proof of it happening.

Would it be worth while to change out all the shift solenoids and hope it repairs the problem or look for another transmission that's good?  Any help is as always greatly appreciated.

Car only shifts up to 3rd gear then stops, shifts nicely from 1-3rd.

aba16v

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 17, 09:32 »
Did you clear the TCM?   I'd be looking for a manual swap.

witchcraftz

• Testers
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 17, 09:46 »
You can do it yourself. Solenoids seem to only be "rated" for 100k km

Here's a kit
http://www.electricaladvantage.net/01mmastersolenoidkitwrostra.aspx
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 17, 09:47 by witchcraftz »

killerb09

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 17, 10:57 »
it's a $500 car, no real reason to spend $1000 on doing a 5spd swap in it when it's repaireable.  If the trans is shot I may look at it but likely would just part it out and get my money back.

I cleared the codes in VCDS under transmission.  Does that do it?

germanstyle

• Global Moderator
  • Wheel Whore
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 17, 15:25 »
I'm sure most are thinking the same thing here, but maybe stop buying $500 cars and grab something in the 4-5k range that will save you a lot of headaches trying to search out other people's problems.  :)

Toyota 4runner, Ram 3500, BMW M3

killerb09

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 17, 08:14 »
Some people smoke, drink or gamble their money away, I like to tinker with old cars and work on their issues.  It gives me a sense of satisfaction to have something that's broken, and fix it myself.

If you don't like my post or think I'm out to lunch, just ignore them, I'm sure there's even a function of the script that is "ignore user".