Author Topic: Best Option MKIV Hood 'Notch' Filler  (Read 1964 times)

Skillscore

Best Option MKIV Hood 'Notch' Filler
« on: Jun 29, 18, 19:30 »
I purchased an aftermarket grille from ecstuning.com and included the appropriate 'notch filler' for the hood.

I had a bunch of body work done at a shop and had them paint / install the grille at same time. Picked it up today and they said they had 'lost' my notch filler, but it was just sitting in my cup holder (sigh).

Anyway, the work other than that was well done and I have a good history with the shop manager so all is well - he is going to take care of it next week. We discussed how it would be attached to the vehicle (I thought it would be bonded and then a bit of filler and then sanded / painted at the same time as the hood - which was also getting completely painted).

The hood has now been completely painted, without the notch filler installed. He is saying he doesn't want to bond it / sand it like that because it is plastic and the plastic / metal combo will crack over time.

Are there higher quality metal notch fillers I can get? Has anyone had positive experience with a particular method of installing these onto our hoods?

I want to make sure it ends up being as quality a job as it can be....

Thanks!

ckone

Re: Best Option MKIV Hood 'Notch' Filler
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 18, 07:58 »
Best solution is weld metal. The Shit plastic sent is just that - Shit. You are best off to have a piece of metal cut to size, spot weld, grind, smooth with bondo and paint. Since the paint is so new the matching should be a breeze.

Ducks but if you want it done right this is the only way.
I am the sites Red Foreman - Dumbass
"You wagon guys are always confident in fitting things in your car" - Germanstyle

BobbyBrown

« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 18, 23:01 »
In my opinion ... boser hood extension. If your planning on welding the notch ... why not to go the extra step and give it a more aggressive look!

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 18, 23:06 by BobbyBrown »

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 18, 14:01 »
Agree with having it done in metal. Its the best way
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

witchcraftz

• Testers
« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 18, 20:48 »
The notch fillers are all plastic. Like other said, the bets option is to get a custom piece of metal cut and welded in place.

8ok

« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 18, 10:42 »
In my opinion ... boser hood extension. If your planning on welding the notch ... why not to go the extra step and give it a more aggressive look!

Love those headlights and hood - whered you get the lights? The stuff Im seeing on amazon and eBay are all overdone
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 18, 10:52 by 8ok »