Author Topic: '92 GTI Rough Idle  (Read 453 times)

Shax

'92 GTI Rough Idle
« on: Sep 25, 17, 08:49 »
Pictures for attention!

My 1992 8v is running a little less than great. The idle is pretty rough and will sometimes bounce between 1200-2000 RPM, sometimes it idles fine. It's been sitting for the last few years. Ran great before. I'm going to clean the throttle body, ISV and check the idle switch. I will also take another look at the idle screw and check the grounds.

Anything else I should keep my eyes open for?
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 17, 08:59 by Shax »

83RedRoc

Re: '92 GTI Rough Idle
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 17, 09:16 »
Cracked rubber components leading to a vac leak.   

Shax

« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 17, 20:13 »
I'll take a look through them and order whatever is cracked.. I'm actually pretty sure the Idle/WOT switch is busted up too. Anyone have any suggestions of where to find one? I'll get my eBay-fu on.

Shax

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 17, 09:31 »
Went through and checked all the rubber for vacuum leaks, cleaned the ISV, changed the throttle screw and o-ring, replaced the blue CTS and messed around with the throttle switch and still no dice! Next up is checking the air flow sensor and going over the grounds again!  :stupid:

Nino

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 17, 06:31 »
Went through and checked all the rubber for vacuum leaks, cleaned the ISV, changed the throttle screw and o-ring, replaced the blue CTS and messed around with the throttle switch and still no dice! Next up is checking the air flow sensor and going over the grounds again!  :stupid:
Tune up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 17, 10:22 »
At least it looks good!
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

Shax

« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 17, 18:25 »
I have actually got it running pretty good after changing the ISV and doing the vacuum lines anyways. Put a different o-ring on the throttle screw too because I was wigging out about it not being high temp  :lol:. Once in a while the idle won't drop immediately and sits at 1200 for a couple seconds longer than normal but I am really happy with how it's running. Funny how sitting for a while can really affect these old cars.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 17, 18:26 by Shax »

Gogga

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 17, 19:37 »
Had a similar problem with 92 Jetta. Cleaned the connectors on the coil with WD40. Bingo!