Author Topic: L90e 1992 GTI 16V  (Read 7795 times)

mtnman

L90e 1992 GTI 16V
« on: Oct 01, 18, 11:56 »
I had a look at this car and it guts me not to be able to purchase right now.
Someone here needs to get this and save it form stancing, piping and ICEing
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/cto/6710168876.html
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 18, 11:59 by mtnman »

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
Re: L90e 1992 GTI 16V
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 18, 12:04 »
Saw that on Craigslist yesterday.  Itís been a while since Iíd seen one forsale
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

hellgti

« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 18, 17:21 »
Wow thatís nice
Take care of each other out there. everyone here is my brother, let's make sure everybody goes home safe. Alright, let's stomp some heads. - Scott Vogel

The Producer

« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 18, 08:29 »
i looked at it too - great owner, and an honest guy.

it drives pretty well - needs shifter bushings bad though.
interior is near excellent condition
rough cold start
engine bay is grimy, but I think an afternoon of cleaning and some black paint could improve it 100x
wheels need a refinish and the tires are way aged out
the paint is just OK - and mismatched
it leaks quite a bit of oil on the crank pulley side of the motor

but I didn't buy it because the strut towers were iffy (DS being worse) and I found a rusty strip along the passenger floor next to the frame rail I could push through. Driver side wasn't much better,

^^these aren't deal breakers. This car is perfect for somebody that can either do or would send it out for a minor body resto and a respray. The rest could be cleaned up in a drive way,

I think the price is fair for what it is - and would be a good base if you were looking for a really good 15k all in 16v GTI.

bubbleboy

« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 18, 10:03 »

rough cold start
engine bay is grimy, but I think an afternoon of cleaning and some black paint could improve it 100x

but I didn't buy it because the strut towers were iffy (DS being worse) and I found a rusty strip along the passenger floor next to the frame rail I could push through. Driver side wasn't much better,

^^these aren't deal breakers. This car is perfect for somebody that can either do or would send it out for a minor body resto and a respray. The rest could be cleaned up in a drive way,

I think the price is fair for what it is - and would be a good base if you were looking for a really good 15k all in 16v GTI.

Thank you for this detailed description. Was a consideration, and now is not.

Cheers

The Producer

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 18, 11:22 »
no worries - I want to clarify that I still consider it a good buy

Maybe you could buy @ 5k and could really clean it up for 5k more.

Hic

« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 18, 23:58 »

rough cold start

I read that he said "virtually no rust" and I could already see rust breaking through the paint on the strut towers in the pictures. Not surprised there is rust on the frame rail too.

Alexi

• Global Moderator
  • Uber Gyroô
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 18, 13:41 »
I also looked at the gti.  I agree with  The Producerís inspection of the car.

The car does look good but from from rust free.   The floor boards are quite crusty.  You can easily peal back the rust and does have holes in the floor.   The bottom side of the car had a fresh coat of rust undercoating on it. Deffinently trying to hid the rust . My fingers are still black from it.  Was this there when other people looked at it?

Another major rust area are the 1/4 panel wheel arches. The flares are covering it up realy good.

The factory seam sealer is very good at hidding  rust in these  cars. If itís cracked the metal is rusty underneath.

You can also clearly see rust in the front wheel well  in the Craigslist add but when I looked at the car that was covered up too.

Having a mk2 project that started out having 90% less visible rust then this car and  still had to change sections of the floor and both rear wheel arches.   This car 100% needs those repairs.

The car did have cold start issues but wasnít realy concerned about this or the other mechanical issues with the car.

The car is basically complete which is the best thing it has going for it. If you are looking for a mk2 project this car is still a good candidate for the right price.

04 R32
97 GTI VR6 GreenT. Made for boosting. (126mph and climbing)
92 GTI VR6- one day it will be done

The Producer

« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 18, 21:20 »
hmm - i wonder if some early inspectors like myself prompted some cover up work. I didn't get that vibe but it's disappointing if that's the case.

EDIT: i see the ad doesn't mention the rust situation at all anymore.
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 18, 21:23 by The Producer »

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 18, 00:52 »
First off, an add on Craigslist that seems too good to be true either isnít what it states to be or itís a scam.

I wouldnít have even wasted my time looking at it, and Iím sorry to hear so many people did. Easy to spot an east coast car from the engine looking like it sat with the titanic for a few years. A west coast car hardly ever looks like that when the mileage isnít crazy high at 242k.

Edit: notice how heís removed the engine bay picture in the ad and doesnít mention anything about rust anymore either?? Clearly heís fishing for an unknowing buyer, changes the ad to hide items people are pointing out as flaws when they look at the car, or he reads these comments, lol!

Also, he is very particular in pointing out that itís a canadian car, like that makes it better. If he would have said local lower mainland car, that would have interested me more.

A clapped out rusty Mk2 for twice of what itís worth (imo) and then if it was 100% rust free and someone went through the entire car making it mint,  itís only worth like $12-15k? Meh. Not worth it. Import one from California or Arizona.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 18, 00:53 by Stephan Schmidt »

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 18, 08:10 »
I donít have an opinion on this car because I havnt seen it, however if someone is looking for a MK2 project car there are plenty of clean bodies out there to find but if you are looking for a 2.0L 16V GTI they are almost hens teeth.

I think people who grew up with these cars tend to forget that this car is 26 years old and the newest 16v you can get. to expect these cars to all be mint is unrealistic.

I think a restored car is worth $20,000 so this car can probably be purchased for a price where it makes sense.

Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 18, 08:24 »

92GTI16V

« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 18, 13:26 »

West Coast engine bay. 153K.  :)
1992 GTI 16V
2015 JETTA TDI

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 18, 13:29 »

West Coast engine bay. 153K.  :)

Excellent example!

92GTI16V

« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 18, 14:06 »
Excellent example!

Actually it looks a little better now.
I replaced the old discoloured coolant bottle and hose with new ones.
1992 GTI 16V
2015 JETTA TDI

gtiscirocco

« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 18, 11:33 »
The CL is gone.  Wonder if it sold and how much it went for.