Author Topic: 1990 golf GTI for sale  (Read 2147 times)

J.Jenkins

1990 golf GTI for sale
« on: Mar 11, 17, 15:33 »
1990 golf GTI 8v for sale
First 1800 takes it or make me and offer need the car gone asap
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 17, 17:44 by J.Jenkins »

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
Re: 1990 golf GTI for sale
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 17, 17:17 »
Very rare colour.  Not even listed in the brochures.  Medium Blue Metalic.
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

hellgti

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 17, 19:12 »
This was on Craig's and deleted. Did it sell?
Take care of each other out there. everyone here is my brother, let's make sure everybody goes home safe. Alright, let's stomp some heads. - Scott Vogel

Arbor

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 17, 23:59 »
This was up for sale back in Sept-Nov,  I went and viewed it.The guy that owned it at the time was the second owner and had it from the early 90's.

Car is in decent shape, but does have some rust and would in my opinion would be a solid project car.
The interior is mint fwiw.

hellgti

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 17, 07:01 »
Looks like it has rust around the windshield from the pics.
Take care of each other out there. everyone here is my brother, let's make sure everybody goes home safe. Alright, let's stomp some heads. - Scott Vogel

edifonzo

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 17, 09:49 »
This looks like the sister to that salvaged low kms gti that got cut up a few years ago.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5176994-Strange-Barn-Find-GTi-Blue

AirCooledRules

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 17, 13:28 »
Yup that's my old one.  What a shame that the guy I sold it to cut it up
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

germanstyle

• Global Moderator
  • Wheel Whore
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 17, 15:27 »
Yup that's my old one.  What a shame that the guy I sold it to cut it up

I read through some of the old threads, it doesn't say what happened to it.  The guy who bought it from you listed it for sale, where did it go from there to be cut up?
Toyota 4runner, Ram 3500, BMW M3

AirCooledRules

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 17, 15:32 »
He basically chopped the whole car up and threw it away. he had a rusty early small bumper car that he ended up painting the same colour. He was on this forum.

But basically he scrapped the car, which is such a shame considering it was practically like new. New car smell and everything =(
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 17, 15:52 »
He couldn't get ICBC to insure the blue car as it was written off a long time ago and titled as a parts only car. 

Yes, it had low mileage and it was original, but it was branded to never be insured again.  I don't know why the guy you bought it from even bothered to fix the car, what a waste of time.

Either way, TJ tried to figure out a way to license it and he just had a huge run around with ICBC.  The only way this car could have been saved was with a BC assigned VIN.  I think at that point TJ was fed up, no one else wanted to buy the car and realistically if you wanted it to be worth something in the future the plagued title would have impacted re-sale value anyways.  The car at this day and age with the branded title was only worth what someone wanted to pay, so he cut it up and parted out what he could.

Seems reasonable to me!

hellgti

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 17, 16:02 »
I always thought the small bumper car WAS the write off car. He had a 16v in it and some other nice bits from what I remember.

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 17, 16:42 »
I always thought the small bumper car WAS the write off car. He had a 16v in it and some other nice bits from what I remember.

No, I thought that was his 86...but I could be wrong! lol

AirCooledRules

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 17, 17:07 »
He couldn't get ICBC to insure the blue car as it was written off a long time ago and titled as a parts only car. 

Yes, it had low mileage and it was original, but it was branded to never be insured again.  I don't know why the guy you bought it from even bothered to fix the car, what a waste of time.

Either way, TJ tried to figure out a way to license it and he just had a huge run around with ICBC.  The only way this car could have been saved was with a BC assigned VIN.  I think at that point TJ was fed up, no one else wanted to buy the car and realistically if you wanted it to be worth something in the future the plagued title would have impacted re-sale value anyways.  The car at this day and age with the branded title was only worth what someone wanted to pay, so he cut it up and parted out what he could.

Seems reasonable to me!

He knew all this before he bought the car.  I've insured lots of cars exactly like this and told him exactly what to do

Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 17, 17:13 »
He knew all this before he bought the car.  I've insured lots of cars exactly like this and told him exactly what to do

You do this for a living and work in the industry.  To most people, its just a huge hassle with no real return.

I get it, but its too much for most people to want to deal with.  They want to buy a car, go to Autoplan and throw plates on it.

AirCooledRules

« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 17, 17:41 »
No. His intentions were to part out his rusty car and swap his motor and goodies into this car. Had he done that, he would be an inspection away from going to autoplan and swapping plates on.

It's truly a waste as there isn't another one this nice around.
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

John64

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 17, 08:27 »
TJ stripped down the car to rebuild his. He tried cutting out the rear quarters to use on his car. I bought the seats and door cards from it. I later bought the rolling shell. The front sub frame went into my 92 Jetta. Engine was used for parts. I then chopped up the shell for scrap. I kept all VIN number and fuel pump cover plate for some time. Gave it to someone here on this site when they came over buying some parts. Never understood why the car was titled as "dismantle only"
« Last Edit: May 30, 17, 08:28 by John64 »

AirCooledRules

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 17, 09:07 »
Dismantle Only is the designation given to cars sold at ICBC auction that ICBC wants to be parted out.

They started doing this in the mid-90s. Before then, you bought a car from them and you could fix it and rebuild it. However in the mid 90s they changed this up and have now 2 designations.  Rebuildable or Dismantle Only.

This is done so that ICBC can purchase used parts from wreckers for their ICBC claim repairs instead of just every car getting repaired and there being no used parts stock.

When this designation first appeared the " dismantle only " cars sold cheap at auction because you had to have a specific licence to be able to buy them and most dealers couldn't bid on those cars.

The guy I got this car from and a couple other cars, bought the car at auction and thought he could get around the status and fixed it along with a hoard of other cars and never took the steps to put them back on the road. Thus I bought it from his 100 car underground parkade where it sat since the mid 90s.

It was a very very nice car.
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz