Author Topic: 83 Jetta. Horn not working. Need to pass inspection tomorrow  (Read 503 times)

g60syncro

Need some help cause Iím loosing my mind why this isnít working.

So run down of what works.

- Bench tested the coil on the relay. Works
- Manualy accuated the relay while plugged into fuse box. Horn beeps
- Continuity tested the horn button with a meter from wire connector to the fuse box. Continues
- tested horn button. Works

Appart from this Iím at a bit of a loss. Seems that when I push the horn button the relay should accuate but isnít.

If someone can shed some light on this situation and can give me a call it would be greatly appreciated. If not just comment below.

604 842 8941 Alan
No time for the old in/out love. I've just come to read the metre.

mikeonfire

• mk1's endangered species
Sounds like a bad connection at the back of the fusebox? The ce1 wasnít a very good design for where each wire connects to it. Are any pins rusted?
« Last Edit: May 15, 18, 21:09 by mikeonfire »
92 Gti VR6
83 Coupe 2.0

tumyeto

Are you running a stock steering wheel?

Is there an after market hub? Iíve heard the detachable hubs like NRG come wired backwards

g60syncro

Stock wheel but thanks for the thought.

I got it, horn works. Not sure what it was exactly seeing how it was working before.  Maybe it actually listened to me when I was cursing at it to work. I did take the connector off of the actual horn itself and there was some wet sludge in there.  Maybe that was it????

Thanks Mike and Tumyeto for you thoughts. Hopefully this thing passes tomorrow.

Hic

did it pass

g60syncro

No unforunately. The brake and fuel hardlines going to the back are too rusty.

Weighing my options. Either about getting new ones fabbed, which will ptobably cost a bunch, or looking at parting ones off one the cabbys thatís one craigslist. Which is a buy of gamble

tumyeto

Mk1autohaus online sells premade , prebent replacement lines but they arenít cheap

geeteeexe

I replaced the hard brake lines on my mk2, it really wasnít that difficult. The lines are available from lordco in assorted lengths. Measure the existing line and buy the closest size up. The lines are bendable by hand and since you wonít be able to make nice, tight machine bends by hand youíll see that the extra length gets taken up. I was really surprised how well it worked actually.

My advice. Hit those unions with some penetrating oil a few times in advance so they come free easily. Take your time and make nice bends. It worked well for me.

g60syncro

I replaced the hard brake lines on my mk2, it really wasnít that difficult. The lines are available from lordco in assorted lengths. Measure the existing line and buy the closest size up. The lines are bendable by hand and since you wonít be able to make nice, tight machine bends by hand youíll see that the extra length gets taken up. I was really surprised how well it worked actually.

My advice. Hit those unions with some penetrating oil a few times in advance so they come free easily. Take your time and make nice bends. It worked well for me.

Thanks. I bend electrical conduit as part of being an electrician, and I make a living off of it so Iím sure I can manage that much. But what about the flares at the unions? Do they come pre flared with unions arrached?

geeteeexe

They come pre-flared with unions attached! Bubble flare style.

Benyameen Kawlboose

• boots
Glad you figured it out, but have you checked the ground on the steering rack at the back underside of the engine bay?
That's the ground that the horn uses exclusively

It may be corroded, greasey, or loose, making it work only sometimes

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wake up. Stand up. Please look at this picture. Look at this picture please.