Author Topic: GREAT CANADIAN WEEKEND  (Read 1836 times)

germanstyle

• Global Moderator
  • Wheel Whore
Re: GREAT CANADIAN WEEKEND
« Reply #40 on: Aug 14, 19, 13:52 »
I can see why the shops don't come anymore, it's just not worth their time.  The majority of sales for CIP1 are online, so the return on being at the show must be pennies on the dollar for them.  The same could be said for the other shops as well,aside from getting your name out there (which is much easier and cheaper on social media) there is little benefit to them.

The show has and always will be for the aircooled cars, so I don't expect the show to change in order to try and attract more watercooled cars, that's just the reality of it.  Not to say the aircooled guys have not been inviting, they are always friendly and wanting to include the watercooled, but that's not the focus of the show is all.

It is what is is, the show may be revived or it might just die out now, there is a life cycle on everything.  As was already mentioned cars and coffee events tend to be better attended these days as it brings together all different makes and models and gearheads. Instead of sitting and looking at the same cars year after year guys can walk around, chat with owners of cars they find interesting or want to find out more about and then when they want to go they can go, pretty chill and pretty inviting.
Toyota 4runner, Ram 3500

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #41 on: Aug 14, 19, 22:05 »
A lot of the people who I really like to get to see there don't show up any more.

Sorry. I'm still waiting on Liz-augna, by the way.
'81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |   '96 YZF750R

Jonnymooshoo

• Testers
    • 2004 MK4 .:R32
« Reply #42 on: Aug 15, 19, 22:55 »
Open house show and shine at HPA in Langley on Saturday 9-2pm. Free food, beer, door prizes, family friendly, should be sunny, People's choice award. No excuses, show up :)

Tooly

« Reply #43 on: Aug 16, 19, 06:49 »
Or there's the H&R cruise to Mt Baker, 9:30-1:30.

PorscheNut

• GTI
« Reply #44 on: Aug 16, 19, 12:02 »
Did you guys see that silver Porsche 904?  It had collector plates so it was the real deal?  I googled recent 904 auctions and I was seeing prices around $1.7-$1.8M (USD).  It was the star of the show for me.
1995 GTI VR6 / 2000 ML55 AMG / 2013 Kawasaki ZX10R / 2019 Chevrolet Volt
WTB Mk3 aftermarket swaybars & dished 17" wheels

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
« Reply #45 on: Aug 16, 19, 13:55 »
Collector plates doesn’t mean it was real.

I figure it if we’re real it would have been parked in a better spot
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter
« Reply #46 on: Aug 16, 19, 17:04 »
Collector plates doesn’t mean it was real.

Exactly. Cobra kit cars can get collector plates.
'81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '15 Touareg TDI R-Line   |   '96 YZF750R

T~Roc

• Creeksdide Crew
« Reply #47 on: Sep 11, 19, 01:44 »
My buddy and I live in Whistler.
Couldn't make the whole weekend  :'( but we did get Sunday off.
Detailed our cars on Fri&Sat and knew the drive would just ruin them but it was still our plan to attend and see the great cars.
Would have rather driven further (for us) to Coquitlam but it is what it is.

Highway 99 was uncongested and there wasn't any traffic once we got to Vancouver, too.
My buddy brought to Cabrios, one broke down at the Timmy's in Squamish.
I used my BCAA to tow her down and figured if we couldn't get her running while there he'd use his BCAA to tow her back (which he did).

This year's turnout was sad, but I still had fun meeting lots of good people.
I was however disappointed that my car wasn't judged.
Was told I'd be fine to walk off and check all the cars.
Was initially staying close so as not to miss the judges, but they said they'd call the number left on the entry if I wasn't by my car.
So I went off to check all the further cars and booths by the entrance and missed the judge.
No big deal, but paying the extra to have her judged kinda sucked.

Although the weather wasn't on our side, we both still plan to make it again next year.
Hopefully there'll be more VWs showing off next year, cuz it really is fun to view them and ask their owners about their stories.

If they were to move the show back to the 'burbs, we'd be happy to drive further to attend.
Hopefully we'll be able to book off the whole weekend and get the full dose!
It's hard getting weekends off when you work in the service industry and usually work them.  >:(

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW -- What a Ride!"