Author Topic: ISO MK3 or 4  (Read 608 times)

MK2Chuck

ISO MK3 or 4
« on: Oct 31, 18, 12:46 »
Iím searching for a cheap car for my girlfriend. Hereís what Iím looking for.

MK3 or 4
Golf or Jetta
Automatic* (preferably not tip)
Max 4k

Preferably something that is relatively clean and doesnít need much work to be driven reliably as her daily.

Let me know what you have and what you want for it.

PM, text or call 604-349-6041

- Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 18, 19:41 by MK2Chuck »

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
Re: ISO MK3 or 4
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 18, 12:59 »
Teach her standard, sell her your MK3 = profit
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

aba16v

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 18, 18:22 »
honda civic

AirCooledRules

« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 18, 20:14 »
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 18, 08:00 »
Why ?

She wants automatic.  VW didn't make a decent automatic in their MK3/4 models, so a civic auto would be much more reliable.

But I'm with you...if she feels comfortable mastering a manual transmission, then a MK3/4 could be a good choice.  If she doesn't feel comfortable, just get her an automatic and don't sweat the insignificant things in life.

AirCooledRules

« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 18, 09:23 »
I agree that MK3 automatics are terrible and the Japanese made VW Automatics in the TDI are terrible but all the others are fine and thatís really the only downfall, both cars MK3/4 are fantastic commuters otherwise. Just that pesky Japanese transmission
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 18, 14:17 »
I agree that MK3 automatics are terrible and the Japanese made VW Automatics in the TDI are terrible but all the others are fine and thatís really the only downfall, both cars MK3/4 are fantastic commuters otherwise. Just that pesky Japanese transmission

The Jatco transmissions were terrible in the MK4's.  However, Honda makes their own transmissions and never used Jatco.  So civic is still the clear win here.  Plus, 6l/100 km without the need for preventative / sensitive maintenance of a TDI = WIN!

MK2Chuck

« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 18, 15:42 »
Though Iíd rather see another VW parked beside me, a Civic does make sense. There is a couple clean ones up for sale right now too.

On the other hand, just how bad is an auto MK4 for maintenance? Most of the MK4s I see out there with transmission issues are equipped with the Tiptronic transmission.

Iím unfamiliar with MK4s and basically all things Honda. Do you think a Civic is going to be that much cheaper to maintain than a MK4 2.0?

My only hands on experience with VW VS Honda would be my old MK3 Wolfsburg Jetta vs my friends 96 Acura EL. His repair bills were always a lot cheaper than mine thatís for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AirCooledRules

« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 18, 16:31 »
MK4 auto/2.0L is a bulletproof cheap to maintain car.

The shitty automatics were the JATCO ( Japanese ) TDIs. All the other motors with Autos are fine.
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

aba16v

« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 18, 16:35 »
bought a 2001 civic a couple of years ago for like 2200 bucks for my sister and drove it to NS. Changed the plugs once and did the oil.

Could probably get a solid accord within your budget as well, don't think it'd be worth stretching for an 8th gen civic but they're solid cars, more efficient and chain driven. 

2L 8V VW is going to use another 1.5-2L/100, be just as slow, probably run into valve seal issues before 300k, and have general mk4 problems. Far from the worst option but realistically they're not as reliable as honda/toyota

Thing with a honda or toyota is that you don't need to learn all the weird quirks like on a VW, it's just going to work. Pretty well all maintenance is cheaper, parts are cheaper, and shops are more willing to work on them. I'm a VW guy thru and thru and don't think I'll own a honda

but there's no way I'd gamble a relationship with an automatic mk4

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 18, 16:36 by aba16v »

AirCooledRules

« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 18, 16:50 »
Thatís not true, Iíve driven plenty of 2.0ls with 500,000 - 600,000kms.  $12 timing belt, 87 gas, 10/30 Dino oil and off you go.

The accord is actually terrible for transmissions. Most of the midsize Honda cars from the MK4 era are terrible for transmission failure

P.S. my GF has logged over 250,000kms on her 2 mk4s with the current one about to cross 300,000 with the original transmission ( manual ) and the engine has never been opened up. Itís so good that sheís just going to continue driving it even though itís old and probably should be replaced with a newer car.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 18, 16:53 by AirCooledRules »
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

AirCooledRules

« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 18, 17:00 »
There are plenty of Honda auto wreckers in town, I know a few of them well and Iím told Honda Civic engines sell like hot cakes, and itís not because nothing ever goes wrong with them.

Iíll tell you which engine doesnít sell well, thatís the 2.0L boat anchor 8V that you couldnít sell to save your life because they donít fail.
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

Parts

• My lawn. You. Off it.
  • Professional driver, closed course. Do not attempt
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 18, 09:25 »
but there's no way I'd gamble a relationship with an automatic mk4

Quote of year right here, folks.
No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time. All you got is life time.
Go.

aba16v

« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 18, 21:57 »
No offense Jakub, I don't think they're bad cars, the aba was probably VW's best workhorse motor. Just don't think the quirks are for everyone and they're definitely not as reliable as similar honda/toyota products.

AirCooledRules

« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 18, 22:33 »
No offence taken, just donít agree.  😀
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz