Author Topic: '91 Corrado Autobody repair & paint  (Read 11056 times)

velvito

• 1991 Corrado OBDII VR6T
Re: '91 Corrado Autobody repair & paint
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 18, 20:20 »
During this past week, I have been doing little details like bolts and rad support accessories.  They looked like they were 27 years old and well used.  :yes:  All are undergoing a chassis black paint treatment which is like a sort of satin black hard paint.  It's looking a lot better than before but I may consider at some point to tumble them in sand and anodize them.

For now, I have installed the rad support and cleaned up my front harnesses.  Still a few things to paint and hopefully this weekend I will start to assemble everything.  In the meantime, here are some pics.
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 18, 20:22 by velvito »
|Dubs for life|

T~Roc

• Creeksdide Crew
« Reply #21 on: Oct 26, 18, 19:17 »
Clean!! :thumbup:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW -- What a Ride!"

velvito

« Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 18, 21:29 »
A bit of an update.  I figured a bit of progress is better than none.  Tonight I have cleaned and installed the front fog lights and turn signals.  I have also installed the hood rubber stops and radiator support.  I also cleaned up the door seals and found lost mounting hardware.  Next on the list is to install headlights, clean up and install horns.  More to share later.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 18, 21:31 by velvito »
|Dubs for life|

velvito

« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 18, 21:36 »
Here's a pic of the before and after door seals.  There was overspray from previous paint jobs that I was able to remove using a scouring pad.  I then cleaned them up with rubber care spray.
|Dubs for life|

velvito

« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 18, 14:44 »
Hi all, I noticed the number of views on this post is astounding.  I did not realize such a large interest.  Thank you all for your support!

I took an extended long weekend for Remembrance day and since we are having nice weather.  I thought I would put the rest of my car back together and insure it for a day but I am feeling kinda' bummed out as I have chipped the paint in a couple of places.  The car is in an unheated garage and I am wondering if the paint has not fully cured yet or if it's the paint itself.  I get the sense it's brittle.  I also noticed a couple odd things while putting the car together that I had not seen before picking the car up.  First, the driver's side rocker was fixed during the bodywork process and the shop painted it smooth without the rock guard.  Second, the shop left tape marks with over spray in the door and trunk jams which I have sanded.  Third, the rad support and mirrors could have received a bit more attention,maybe it's me but they are kinda' embarrassing.  I am consider wrapping those in matte black.  That's the colour they used to be before the paint and they looked great.  Just to be clear, I asked the shop to paint them yellow.  Anyway, Marty from Rags to Riches said that he could easily fix the chips with an airbrush and cut polish the paint to make it perfect, likely for some $$$ I figure.  Nothing's free  :no:.  It's a good thing that he saved me a quart of paint.

The only things I have not gotten a chance to do are adding a couple more speakers in the dash, connecting my tweeters, installing the new alarm as the other one appears to have gotten fried while my exhaust was being welded together during my turbo build a couple years ago, installing my roof rails and installing the eboost controller.  Right now the car is running a static 6lbs of boost on 315cc injectors which is running great but I'd like to experiment with up to 8lbs of boost and keep a close eye of the A/F ratio.

A couple maintenance "to dos" are fresh front brakes (parts in my office) and new suspension to lower the back a bit.  The H*R/Bilstein HDs are a great combo but I think it would look better if I could lower the back a bit more.  I have an old set of JOM coils under my garage work desk and thought I might try to swap the inserts.  I believe it was Mk1 inserts in the front and standard Corrado rears.  It'd be cool if the Koni adjustable inserts fit in there.

More to follow later, for now here are some pics.

« Last Edit: Nov 11, 18, 21:55 by velvito »
|Dubs for life|

velvito

« Reply #25 on: Nov 11, 18, 14:47 »
More pics
|Dubs for life|

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 18, 21:42 »
It looks great!!!
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

velvito

« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 18, 19:10 »
Hi all, today I insured the Corrado on a day permit and cruised around in Langley and Port Moody.  While driving, I noticed that my windows had a thin coat of over spray that will need to be cleaned up and my heater air vents were full of sanding dust.  When I turned on the heater, a pile of dust came rushing out all over the inside of the car :rofl:  It wasn't funny at the time but now that I look back, I can only chuckle about it.  Back home I went to clean the inside of the car AGAIN!  If ever you have your car at a bodywork shop, make sure you either cover your cabin air intake or vacuum your heater air vents after it's done, especially on a car that does not have a cabin filter.  Something I did not know until today. 

The main highlight of the day is that the car drove great!  I had forgotten how nice it pulled up to the posted speed limit  :thumbup:

I still have a few projects left to do on the car so stay tuned.  Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 18, 16:40 by velvito »
|Dubs for life|

witchcraftz

• Testers
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 18, 09:56 »
Some small areas of overspray is pretty normal, most people won't care enough to clean it up. I think you're just very meticulous, which is not a bad thing!

For the windows try some "Bon Ami" from Canadian Tire, cheap and works really well to clean them up.

Looks amazing. :)
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 18, 09:57 by witchcraftz »

T~Roc

• Creeksdide Crew
« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 18, 12:15 »
First, the driver's side rocker was fixed during the bodywork process and the shop painted it smooth without the rock guard.

Paint shop that did mine made the same mistake. Nobody else really took notice of it, but I did :(
Thanks to witchcraftz for the Bon Ami idea - had the same on my passenger window. Just a light "fog" from the primer.

Your car looks spectacular!
If you ever decide to drive her up the Sea-to-Sky to Whistler, please give me notice.
Would greatly appreciate seeing the great work you've done in person.
Good on ya for keeping a keen eye to detail.

Peace
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW -- What a Ride!"

velvito

« Reply #30 on: Nov 19, 18, 16:49 »
Thanks for the suggestion guys.  I will for sure check that out tonight after the gym.

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 18, 16:54 by velvito »
|Dubs for life|

velvito

« Reply #31 on: Mar 30, 19, 10:59 »
A confession to my dear fellow dubberz...

While reassembling the car, I made a few nicks.  It was one of those moment where you stop what you're doing, fill up with adrenaline and stare at the wall until the adrenaline goes away.  So, ok, I made nicks, I can fix them right...I'll get advice from the paint shop, take my time and do it right.  I have a quart of paint left anyway.  No problem.  I got over it.

When I insured my car this week, I went for a drive.  I come back home and park the car until today.  I wash the car for the first time and what do I notice...two rock chips on the front bumper.  Now I have more nicks to fix.

The paint was never baked and I have a feeling that although it has been drying in my garage for 7 months, it is still brittle.  For those of you who know paint really well, is my assumption correct?  Will the paint get harder with age and from baking in the sun?

What's your best method of fixing chips so that they are nearly invisible?

Thanks in advance for your comments and sorry for the sideways pics.  I am not sure why they are sideways.  When you click on them, they become right side up.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 19, 11:07 by velvito »
|Dubs for life|

Radvr6t

• Ministeroffresh
  • #addictedtoshine
    • VwVortex
« Reply #32 on: Mar 30, 19, 19:30 »
Hit me up and we should get together. I have some stuff for you 😉
A confession to my dear fellow dubberz...

While reassembling the car, I made a few nicks.  It was one of those moment where you stop what you're doing, fill up with adrenaline and stare at the wall until the adrenaline goes away.  So, ok, I made nicks, I can fix them right...I'll get advice from the paint shop, take my time and do it right.  I have a quart of paint left anyway.  No problem.  I got over it.

When I insured my car this week, I went for a drive.  I come back home and park the car until today.  I wash the car for the first time and what do I notice...two rock chips on the front bumper.  Now I have more nicks to fix.

The paint was never baked and I have a feeling that although it has been drying in my garage for 7 months, it is still brittle.  For those of you who know paint really well, is my assumption correct?  Will the paint get harder with age and from baking in the sun?

What's your best method of fixing chips so that they are nearly invisible?

Thanks in advance for your comments and sorry for the sideways pics.  I am not sure why they are sideways.  When you click on them, they become right side up.
I Don't "Build" Cars I Just Make Em Ƥʀὄῥἔʀô
Instagram: @Ministeroffresh

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
« Reply #33 on: Mar 31, 19, 06:21 »
I donít think baking has anything to with durability.

Cars are baked so the body shop can paint more cars during the day instead of having the car sit in the booth overnight to dry. Also the paint job will be cleaner as there is less of a chance for dust and debris to land on wet paint if itís quickly baked after spraying vs sitting overnight wet.

Baking is not a required step in the paint process. If you think the paint is chipping to easily there could be some issues.

I had a Jetta front end painted once and then drive the car to Las Vegas and back. Upon return I washed the car and the front bumper and leasing edge of the hood was trashed. I drove my GTI to Los Angeles this summer and that paint job is a couple years old and no paint damage at all.

So itís possible your bumper was not prepped properly or there was a chemical reaction thatís causing the paint to not adhere properly. It could also just be 2 unlucky rock chips.

Monitor it over the summer and if the front bumper takes a beating, somethings not right
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

velvito

« Reply #34 on: Mar 31, 19, 11:34 »
Thanks Aircooledrules.

RadVR6T, I will reach out.
|Dubs for life|

The Producer

« Reply #35 on: Apr 09, 19, 21:39 »
spotted and cruised briefly w this car in langley on Sunday. It's looking great, and sounding awesome too.