Author Topic: '91 Corrado Autobody repair & paint  (Read 8212 times)

velvito

• 1991 Corrado OBDII VR6T
'91 Corrado Autobody repair & paint
« on: Aug 29, 18, 23:34 »
About me
I have been a VW fan since I was 16, I'm now 45.  I have owned many dubs ranging from an aircooled beetle to a '60 sea blue Ghia vert, a green '80 rabbit 5 speed, a couple MkII Sciroccos, a '91 black GTI 16V (Andie's old car) with a 1.8T and K04 turbo with all the goodies (I'm still looking for that car), a '98 Passat and my wife currently owns a yellow '15 1.8t beetle.

Background on Car
I have owned this Corrado since early 2014.  I purchased it from a young apprentice mechano who installed a lower mileage '97 OBD2 VR with chipped ECU.  I spent the first year trying to figure out the higher warm idle eventually realizing that it was related to grounding.  I changed and updated everything I could in the engine bay like seals, rebuilt Bosch alternator, new G60 rad, new sensors, MAF, polished the intake (now sold), Blackforest stage 1 engine mounts, R32 suspension bushings, stainless steel brake lines.  In 2016 I installed an ol' school T04B turbo setup with a freshly rebuilt turbo, 30lbs/hr injectors, auxiliary fuel pump, a Kinetic intercooler, AEM A/R gauge, Eboost2 boost controller and gauge and 3" open stainless exhaust I got for cheap from Adrian.  Shawn V. cut it all up and re-welded to make it all fit perfectly in my rado.  I have since added a sports cat and a magnaflow muffler to make it smell and sound better, not to mention saving us from a few pollutants.  So far, it's only been running 6lbs of boost and I've been happy with that.  I have a new Stage 2 clutch and head spacer waiting until I get 42s and new software.  I plan to increase the boost to 8lbs for 2019 season for giggles.

Bodywork
This year I started doing bodywork.  The paint looked good from far but far from good.  Multiple shades of yellow on different body panels, 27 years of door dings and dents, scratches on the roof (looked like it was in storage for a while), a faded rear wing...etc... It was an eye sore to me however I was still getting lots of compliments on the car surprisingly  :huh:.  Yellow was never my favorite colour for a car but it grew on me and it got noticed a lot so I decided to keep it the same colour.

I tried to improve my bodywork skills over a few months, however, being that I work in an office all day and had little experience the work was lacking.  It was time to send it out to pros.  I was inspired in part by Kerobert's post.  He got some great work done, congrats to you!  I saw your car at the show and it looked great.

After contacting several shops in the Langley area, as well as Tru-Line in Port Moody (what happened to Patrick?) I chose "Rags to Riches" Top Shop who specializes in mild to wild customization.  Marty and I had been talking back and forth over the course of a week.  We settled on a price and the car went in on August 21st.  The body work and block sanding is nearly done.  They still have to do the rad support, front bumper and spoiler.  After that, it will needs a final 600 grit sanding before going in for paint which should be within the next 10 days...hopefully.  They did a great job with the body work including redoing my entire hood and pulling out a large dent on my driver's side rocker and passenger side rear quarter.  Pics below of pre-paint and bodywork before the big dent on the passenger rocker.  The other side did not look as good :)...I'll share more pics when I get the car back for assembly.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 18, 21:42 by velvito »
|Dubs for life|

witchcraftz

• Testers
Re: '91 Corrado Autobody repair & paint
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 18, 09:34 »
Awesome, can't wait to see it finished!

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 18, 09:48 »
Itís very nice seeing so many Corrado getting love locally
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

germanstyle

• Global Moderator
  • Wheel Whore
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 18, 10:50 »
Nice work, glad to see another corrado being saved and brought back to life again.
Toyota 4runner, Ram 3500

Radvr6t

• Ministeroffresh
  • #addictedtoshine
    • VwVortex
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 18, 14:59 »
YES! been waiting for you to finish the body work on this thing. In for the pics :thumbup:
I Don't "Build" Cars I Just Make Em Ƥʀὄῥἔʀô
Instagram: @Ministeroffresh

velvito

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 18, 20:36 »
Sorry for the delay on updates.  Life has been keeping me busy but I did managed to pop into the shop every now and then to take pics.  It's been amazing how busy Rags to Riches is and with cool cars.  We are near the end now and hope to get my car back next week.  There's no rush on my part as the car will be parked for winter anyway.  Here are the latest pics.  I'll update when I get the car back.
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 18, 22:00 by velvito »
|Dubs for life|

velvito

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 18, 21:58 »
Corrado getting base coat and post clear coat.  Next step is cut polish and assembly.  More pics to follow in the next couple weeks.
|Dubs for life|

witchcraftz

• Testers
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 18, 12:01 »
Great paint job.

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 18, 12:11 »
Looks fresh
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

mikeonfire

• mk1's endangered species
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 18, 15:12 »
Looks fabulous!
92 Gti VR6
83 Coupe 2.0

velvito

« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 18, 21:36 »
My baby's home again.  I picked it up today after work.  Lot's of cleaning and reassembly left to do as well as some beautification projects such as ceramic coating of the intake manifold and anodizing bolts under the hood.  I would also like to make a discreet sub enclosure in the trunk somewhere.  A few little things are left to do to finish the paint and clean up the look of the car but it's otherwise pretty smooth and pretty shinny every where..  Thanks to the team at Rags to Riches for all of their hard work!  They did many extras on my car.

Pics of pre-home ride attached. Thanks for all of the Dubberz support!
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 18, 21:50 by velvito »
|Dubs for life|

velvito

« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 18, 17:33 »
Today I started to clean my engine bay.  I'd love to do a wire tuck at some point but I'm not there yet.  For now, it's just gonna be clean.  I plan to polish my upper euro clone intake manifold.  I did this with another manifold and it turned out pretty good only this time I will clear coat it.  I am also debating whether to keep and polish the aluminum heat shield behind the turbo.  It was an odd piece I got a Mk II Jetta but it's dented a bit.  I tried to fix it but it still looks :embarrassed:.  I'll probably end up taking it out since I have a turbo blanket.  Once the engine is cleaned and the polished intake is back on, I will start assembling the car back together.

Also, I ordered under hood insulation kit from VW heritage.  I thought it was factory like foam but it looks like horse hair on a layer of vinyl  :huh:  Not happy with this product and it's my fault for not reading the description.  :-/  (https://www.vwheritage.com/535823101g60-under-bonnet-sound-proofing-vw-spare)  The cost of returning is prohibitive, so I will try to sell it on craigslist or ebay at a loss.

Here's the pics of the under hood insulation kit I got and engine bay for now.  More to follow later as the car starts getting assembled.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 18, 21:28 by velvito »
|Dubs for life|

velvito

« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 18, 21:39 »
Yesterday, I took off my upper intake manifold and started polishing it.  I went all the way to 2000 grit dry sanding and polished it using a cotton wheel and red bar.  It looks a lot better however it's still a bit hazy.  I have ordered 3000, 5000 & 7000 grit to micro polish it using WD40 and a sander.  I'm also gonna buy a new polishing wheel and polish with red bar.  Here are some pics in the process of polishing this intake.  I should be getting my sandpaper by Thursday.  More pics to follow.

|Dubs for life|

velvito

« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 18, 21:53 »
A couple pics of my engine bay without the intake and the bottom of my euro clone intake.

BTW, I first had this clone intake welded up when my motor was N/A.  People in various forums questioned whether they make a difference and although I never dynoed the before and after results, I felt a slight bottom end improvement.  I'm not sure if this makes a difference with my low boost setup but until I swap to 42s and higher boost, it'll stay this way.

Any thoughts or wisdom to share from anyone on euro clone intakes?
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 18, 21:34 by velvito »
|Dubs for life|

velvito

« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 18, 21:31 »
I got my ultra fine sandpaper kit yesterday 1500 to 7000 grit and started on the intake manifold tonight by hand.  Would you believe they have up to 12000 grit sandpaper  :o  I'm curious as to whether it would further enhance the look of the polish?  I am not sure if you can see it in the pics but the haziness has disappeared and it looks visibly better, even without polishing.  Next step is to buy a new cotton wheel and finish the polishing to remove swirls.

Pic one is the sandpaper kit by grit  :thumbup:
Pic two is the body of the manifold sanded with 7000 grit with the runners still on 2000 grit
Pic three is the body and runners sanded with 7000 grit  :toothy:

I'm aiming to start putting the car back together this weekend, time permitting.  More pics to follow on the polishing and assembly.  Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 18, 21:40 by velvito »
|Dubs for life|

witchcraftz

• Testers
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 18, 13:53 »
Looks awesome. :)

Radvr6t

• Ministeroffresh
  • #addictedtoshine
    • VwVortex
« Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 18, 12:14 »
If your going past 5000 grit paper on metal make sure your cross hatching and you wont get any swirls or marks. 12000 is far to fine as the issue with following up with a metal polish is  it will actually be close to 2-5k pending brand and it will mar the suface.

Text me anytime and we can discuss and try to get together soon! She looks great
I Don't "Build" Cars I Just Make Em Ƥʀὄῥἔʀô
Instagram: @Ministeroffresh

velvito

« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 18, 22:25 »
Thanks Tyler.

This weekend I tried different techniques on the intake to improve the polish but in the end I figure that it was as good as it was going to get without starting from scratch.  It looks great as it is but it needs a deeper sanding.  It can be redone another time.  It was taking too much of my time at this point and I want to have the back back together as much as possible.  I taped the polished sections and painted the unpolished areas a mat cast grey colour.  Looks great.

I also corrected a few imperfections on the rear spoiler using 600 grit and smoothed it out with softer grit and polished.  I have to work on the swirls later this week with a new pad that I bought.  Marty at Rags to Riches offered to repaint the spoiler and that's what I had in mind but figured I'd tried to fix it and it came out pretty good.  Again, this is one of those things that I will decide on later when the car is in the sunlight to see how it looks outside the garage. 

Then I went on to install the bumper skin and front spoiler.  Lots to do still but will keep working on it time permitting.  More to follow, in the meantime a few pics.
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 18, 22:30 by velvito »
|Dubs for life|

T~Roc

• Creeksdide Crew
« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 18, 05:13 »
Your car looks incredible!!
Mad props to you and your work ethic - quite spectacular on everything.
Can't imagine how amazing this ride will look when you're done.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW -- What a Ride!"

velvito

« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 18, 13:45 »
Thanks T-ROC.

This passed week, I have not done much on the car other than finish installing the intake manifold.  I also ended up sanding my spoiler with 600 grit to smooth it out more than I did before and resent the it for repaint.  I also got my mirrors back but the paint on the mirrors did not come out as nice as the rest of the car but I will fix that with 2000 grit.  Marty at Rags to Riches did lots of extras on the car and I felt compelled to help somehow.  If my work does not come out good, I can smooth them out and respray them using the pint of leftover base or even consider wrapping the mirrors in matte black.  For now, I am sharing a pic of my engine bay with everything back together.  More to follow later.
|Dubs for life|