Author Topic: Who is thinking of importing a B5 RS4?  (Read 1818 times)

Mihai_A4-B5_

Who is thinking of importing a B5 RS4?
« on: Jan 21, 15, 12:31 »
Hey people,  I for one am very happy that it is 2015 as these beauties should start becoming legal for import.  I know the Model year was 2001 but I am sure there are many produced in late 2000 or maybe even earlier than that.  Anyone else have this goal? I am hoping to pull the trigger in the next couple of years but I cannot wait till these babies start to pop up in North America more.  Does anyone have any tips for best websites to search for used RS4's in europe?  And also, what would be the most cost-effective way to import these?
The best I could find so far was 'www.autoscout24.com'
I guess we could treat this thread as a wish-list, general discussion.  I am just curious if anyone else here has the same plans :D
It would be pretty awesome to get together a pack of RS4's for our cruises in the future!

some inspiration

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
Re: Who is thinking of importing a B5 RS4?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 15, 12:58 »
No but oh my that's a sexy beast.

Marky G

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 15, 10:07 »
I was pretty seriously considering it over the last year for sure as my next vehicle move.  They are of course a thing of beauty obviously and would be so very rare and exclusive to have one here.  Canada has the 15 year import law, but in USA it is 25 years so these cars would still be extremely head-turning down there for several years to come as well.

Bottom line for me reconsidering (at this point at least) is that it would have to serve as my daily driver and I am at a place in my life that I desire reliability more than anything.  At end of day it is still a 15 year old 2.7T and that scares me a little.

The first model year of these beasts is actually 2000, but they were a late model year distribution; earliest legal import from Europe (that I could see) is further into Fall of this year if I am recalling correctly, as I said I was looking pretty seriously at it.  I also checked the Japanese market too as it's easy to find clean, low km examples from there, but the first B5 RS4 registrations over there were not until Spring 2001 from what I found, so that is still another year away too.

All of this being said, with duties, exchange rates, shipping costs, inspection and import fees all considered; a clean B5 RS4 example will be a $30K + CAD car landed here.  That seems fairly steep when clean local B7 RS4's, just off warranty with less than 100,000 kms on the clock are showing up in the higher $30's/early $40K range and you can go seem them locally, test drive, see local service history and run a pre-purchase inspection in person etc.  Buying a car from overseas still carries a bit of a gamble factor to it of course.

But of course, the B7 is another animal altogether and the B5 RS4 is just such a special car; no question.  Who knows, I may still consider this as my next move after all.....haha.

Good luck.

Oscar

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 15, 12:34 »
I was pretty seriously considering it over the last year for sure as my next vehicle move.  They are of course a thing of beauty obviously and would be so very rare and exclusive to have one here.  Canada has the 15 year import law, but in USA it is 25 years so these cars would still be extremely head-turning down there for several years to come as well.

Bottom line for me reconsidering (at this point at least) is that it would have to serve as my daily driver and I am at a place in my life that I desire reliability more than anything.  At end of day it is still a 15 year old 2.7T and that scares me a little.

The first model year of these beasts is actually 2000, but they were a late model year distribution; earliest legal import from Europe (that I could see) is further into Fall of this year if I am recalling correctly, as I said I was looking pretty seriously at it.  I also checked the Japanese market too as it's easy to find clean, low km examples from there, but the first B5 RS4 registrations over there were not until Spring 2001 from what I found, so that is still another year away too.

All of this being said, with duties, exchange rates, shipping costs, inspection and import fees all considered; a clean B5 RS4 example will be a $30K + CAD car landed here.  That seems fairly steep when clean local B7 RS4's, just off warranty with less than 100,000 kms on the clock are showing up in the higher $30's/early $40K range and you can go seem them locally, test drive, see local service history and run a pre-purchase inspection in person etc.  Buying a car from overseas still carries a bit of a gamble factor to it of course.

But of course, the B7 is another animal altogether and the B5 RS4 is just such a special car; no question.  Who knows, I may still consider this as my next move after all.....haha.

Good luck.

This x2! Mark you couldn't have said it any better! Although I will say expect to pay close to 40k, B5 RS in good condition is about 14-16,000 in Canadian dollars you are looking at $25-29000, not including shipping, duties, taxes. Then not to mention if the port decides to do an inspection on the container, you paying for the unload and reload, and also the slight chance of them damaging a car on the unload or reload. Sooooo many variable's.

I still really want a B5 RS4 and RS2......i need to win the lotto! Haha
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 15, 12:41 by Oscar »

rolled, bagged, stretched, poke are all words oscar is intimately familiar with

aba16v

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 15, 12:43 »
I've been lusting after an a3 diesel for awhile

Mihai_A4-B5_

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 15, 21:28 »
hehe ^
- MarkyG - I actually remember talking to you about this when I inquired about your R! hehehe .  You cannot back out of that thought man!  I have been reading up on them as of late...and as with most cars, if they were taken care of you would not have too many surprises.  The only thing that I have heard about them is premature cam wear.  Overall these engines were designed and modified by cosworth and are supposed to be fairly solid.  Then again...any engine with 200km + on it is going to start showing it's age.  I totally understand your thoughts, and for me too it would have to serve as a daily!  I don't think I would be married for much longer if I tried to float this as a 'weekend' car...LOL...my idea is to get an imola yellow one with (SpoolBus) licence plate...you know... for lugging around kids ;)
I think you are right on the money with the exchange rate right now...a $13,000 EUR car can easily reach $24-$26,000 once it has landed (maybe more)......I am actually aiming to keep it below $25k and have about $3k to dump into emergency maintenance.  The cleanest looking ones I have seen are about 130,000km which I would be quite comfortable to consider.  I just need to get someone trust-worthy to go check it out lol!

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 15, 00:52 »
Getting some one to check it out might be the hardest part right? Or you talk to them a ton and asked the same questions a few days apart etc and test for various answers.

Mihai_A4-B5_

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 15, 11:08 »
Yes definitely ^.  In my crazy head I was planning to maybe go for a 'car shopping' holiday in europe...but i think that will just add so much cost to the overall purchase...the best bet is to go through a reputable dealer I feel, and even with that it would be a bit of a gamble.  I am expecting the usual B5 issues like: Control arms, steering rack, abs control module.....but honestly these engines were built to perform, so as long as they were maintained I don't think there would much in the way of issues...other than that 'cam wear' problem that seems to crop up....anyone care to weigh in?

slowride

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 15, 12:31 »
The RS4 coscast heads are prone to cracking, and the blocks are still weak in the bottom end.  I purchased an RS4 two years ago and had it chopped up and shipped here.  My RS4 was @ 130k and the heads were cracked.  At the end of the day its still a 2.7 with a little bit more of a stout block vs the s4 2.7.  I would look at it as any b5 s4,  things will break and they will be a bitch to replace when they do.  Get used to putting car in service position and getting that front end off.  Dont forget its 15 years old and being an RS model, it was probably driven hard.    Another issues that I have had is Audi Canada cannot order some parts for the RS4 (oil pump, gaskets etc).   I had to get a few things sent from Germany which took time.  Something to consider when looking at the RS4, you may have to wait a little for parts and or gaskets.

It will be very cool to see these cars on the street. 

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 15, 13:52 »
My brother has parts issues with his gt4 celica. Pain in the ass.