Author Topic: So I told myself I wouldn't do anything to this one...  (Read 276 times)

beermeat

... but of course the itch has gotten worse and now I feel I need to "play" with it in order to keep her fresh and interesting. Currently it is a bone stock (less Unitronic Stage 1) 2009, Audi A4, 2.0T\Quattro. Thinking about the following and hoping some Audi enthusiasts here have already gone down this road and can offer advice\tips to guide me in the right direction:

1) Wheels and Suspension: I have seen a few rides with an air ride setup as well as a few with static coils. Debating if the investment is really worth the massive extra $$ to go full air ride? As for wheels, any suggestions on what would look good on a black A4?
2) Intake\Exhaust: I had two exhausts on my 24V VR6 before my Audi, it came with a Magnaflow which was loud AF and I hated it. Ended up spending the money on a Miltek Sport CatBack with Shift (RIP) which I was fairly happy with... but I have come to like the quieter aspect too. However, I am guessing\assuming that with a 2.0(4) vs. a 2.8(6) the exhaust note in itself is going to sound a lot more subtle with a comparable exhaust system?
3) Turbo: This is both out of a want and a possible necessity... but I have read issues with the B8 A4 wastegates becoming issues and people end up replacing up to a K04 anyways. I have read about the gains and they are decently significant. Concerns I have is that this is an automatic (don't judge  :embarrassed:) and I don't want to risk anything to the drivetrain. On that note, is there much that I would need to invest in to ensure both the gains are as much as possible as well as not a risk to the car with the higher power output
4) Aesthetics: Most of this I will do to taste of course, but the one item I have changed on every one of my previous 5 cars are lights. Dan (dublow) redid my VR6 lights with custom build projectors which I loved, but the ones I am looking at are prefab'd projectors that just require some extra wiring\electrical work to be done.

Sorry for the long post, figured I would get it all on the table at once so that anyone with separate experience\opinions can post. Thanks!  :hi: :thumbup:
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 17, 15:45 by beermeat »
1992 MKII Golf GTi --> 1995 MKIII Passat GLS VR6 --> 1998.5 MKIII Golf --> 2000 MKIV Golf --> 2003 GTI VR6 24V --> 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro

Joker

• Global Moderator
  • Blood Spit and Tears
Re: So I told myself I wouldn't do anything to this one...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 17, 16:14 »
#1A - Get suspension first, then wheels. As for suspension it all depends on your preference. I've had both, my current audi is on bags and I love it. My main reason for bags though was that i wanted to be able to carry stuff in my wagon and not have my suspenion compress to much that i could drive. My old Jetta was slammed on coils and i coulnt carry passengers in the rear. As well depending on where you live and drive, having airride will help get over higher speedbums and steep driveways/ramps. Coils will cost anwhere from $800-1600 plsu tax depending on your set up, plus install. Airride cant cost around $4,000 for just the parts, plus your install will be a lot more then coils, all depending on your setup. Accuar makes a nice bolt in system for the B8 platform.

#1B - Wheels, all personal preferance again, i'd say stay with at least a 19in wheel, maybe even a 20 depending on style. Pick a budget and go from there, RPI is a rotiform dealer, and Curtis Wheel and Tire in Abby is a Avante Garde dealer, bot have nice cast wheels at reasonable prices. Again it all depends on your budget, just stay away from any shop that can sell you wheels for cheap, you get what you pay for.

#2 - Intake/exhaust - Locally, talk to CTS turbo in Langley, they make both options for your car, I personally have their exhaust and I like it. Miltek is also very nice, on the pricer side, but sounds awesome, Talk to RPI for that.

#3 - Turbo - Get APR software from RPI first, that will wake the car up, especially with an intake and exhaust, run the car and when the wastegate/turbo go, call CTS and get their KO4 kits, then you can get APR's ko4 software for cheap and then you'r set.

#4 - Aesthetics - Look for a nice OEM set of prjectors, thats all you really need, they are great and can find them for reasonable price, take them apart and do the clear corner mod on them.

For other body mods, get a front plate filler that will clean up the front end, and look into different fron grills, s4, rs4, etc, really changed up the look. After that you start getting into Lips or bumpers
.:Stage Awesome:.

beermeat

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 17, 13:06 »
Hey Joker, thanks for the reply and the advice much appreciated (and hello again!... since I have been out of the scene for about 2.5 years)!

I like the turbo advice, use it 'till it breaks kinda deal. As for suspension, I had thought of going static (not slamming it by any means, but definitely going lower) but I do like the idea of getting the suspension first so it can settle and find the right fitment for wheels after. I made the mistake of going the other way around many years ago on my first dub and went wheels then suspension. There was a slight settling and the car ended up lower than I wanted. Learning curve!

I have had work done by Nik and CTS on my last 2 cars, so I will reach out to Nik (still SR-71 on here?) and get his opinion.

Regarding APR tune vs. Unitronic... is APR that much of a step up on Unitronic? The one thing I have noticed since the software tune (and I am not sure if it is my car or the Unitronic) is that whenever I am pulling up a hill under load\boost, the car shudders every so often like the boost is failing. I didn't notice it ever pre-tune so not sure if it is coincidental of the car trying to produce more power but something is off? Biggest time I notice it is on the Coquihalla highway when driving to Kamloops, going up the Bear Shed Tunnel hill, if the car is around 3k-5.5k RPM under load, it will shudder every couple seconds like it is losing power\boost. Thoughts on that?
1992 MKII Golf GTi --> 1995 MKIII Passat GLS VR6 --> 1998.5 MKIII Golf --> 2000 MKIV Golf --> 2003 GTI VR6 24V --> 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro

Joker

• Global Moderator
  • Blood Spit and Tears
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 17, 13:14 »
Most softwares are really all gonna be the same to some point, just some slight differences, little more or less power. I personally like the APR tune, nice performance upgrade, but gives the options on the multi file program with CEL clear and such, and when you upgrade your parts, the software update is free. Say say you get your frst tune at stage 1, well when you get your exhause, intake and highflow cat, you can now get stage 2 software, with other companies you have to pay for the tune, with APR its free, and then if you go to KO4, you only pay a small fee for that update.

As for your problems now, its most likely then related to your car getting more boost, I'd check maybe your Diverter valve and see if its worn, could be getting some boost leak from that, also could be maybe your plugs, or fuel filter. Also, depending on your software, maybe you're not running the right grade of gas. IE a 94 tune and running petrocan 87 would cause some issues at full load boost
.:Stage Awesome:.

beermeat

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 17, 15:52 »
As for your problems now, its most likely then related to your car getting more boost, I'd check maybe your Diverter valve and see if its worn, could be getting some boost leak from that, also could be maybe your plugs, or fuel filter. Also, depending on your software, maybe you're not running the right grade of gas. IE a 94 tune and running petrocan 87 would cause some issues at full load boost
Well I can say it is definitely running on 91 gas (sometimes 94) and all my cars have been for the last 6-7 years (4 cars now), so since it is on Unitronic Stage 1 I don't suspect that this is the issue. I could definitely see plugs or diverter though, just seemed oddly coincidental that it started having issues within a few weeks after the tune. I will try to check the diverter valve this weekend and see if it looks worn out.

Thanks again!

beermeat

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 17, 16:18 »

Just wanted to update on this as the problem was found... turned out to be as simple as a hose clamp being a little loose and losing boost pressure. Car pulls a lot better now (already noticeable) and haven't even taken it up a steep hill yet!