Author Topic: Clutchmaster Clutch Failure, Dont make the same mistake I did  (Read 5721 times)

AudiFan6

• VAC/Abby Thug
So last year I bought a Clutchmaster FX250 clutch and had it proffesionally installed. It worked fine for about the first 12,000kms then the slipping began, I ended up running it for about another 8,000kms as I couldnt afford another Clutch/the clutch i wanted. So after 20,000kms of mediocore driving with a a solid break in period my car went back to the shop (bairly clutch was a disaster at this point) to get a new clutch.

FYI my car is a 2004 Audi S4 (JHM stage 4 clutch now).

I just thought I would vent and put this out there so someone else doesnt make the same 2K mistake I did. Check out the forums and such as there is plenty of information out there of this clutches failing quickly.
« Last Edit: May 06, 14, 19:48 by AudiFan6 »
2004 Audi B6 S4 [Oettinger Body-kit] [KW V3'S] [19X9 Bentley Continental Wheels] [Stoptech St-40] [JHM Trio Package Short Shift] [Fast Intentions 2.5 DP's] [Fast Intentions 2.5 Exhaust] [Valeo Bi-Xenon Ecode Headlights] [RS4 Pressure Plate] [JHM Stage 4 Clutch] [034 LWFW] [JHM 10mm Intake Spacers]-"Buying a used B6/7 S4 is like playing Russian roulette"

Vdub_Garage_Adrian

• Global Moderator
funny...i run a fx400 will well over 500hp to the wheels and tons of track abuse and havent had a problem yet and theres actually a few of us runnning the same set up with no problems at all
97 VRT-11.95@130.54mph

Jonnymooshoo

• Testers
    • 2004 MK4 .:R32
I'm running an fx 400 and its starting to slip after 17months... Only tracked it one day last year.

AudiFan6

• VAC/Abby Thug
I'm running an fx 400 and its starting to slip after 17months... Only tracked it one day last year.

Ya seems like your getting about what I got out of it.
Jozzie the Vancouver Audi Club forum creator has a FX400 set up on his A4 also. He's dealing with the same slipping issue.

The guys at PG informed me it was cause the springs seemed fatigued and clutch disk still had tons of material left. (sping fatigue @ 20,000kms is pretty redicolous)

Also the FX250 pressure plate is a Sachs, seems like they just add there own disks to it.
2004 Audi B6 S4 [Oettinger Body-kit] [KW V3'S] [19X9 Bentley Continental Wheels] [Stoptech St-40] [JHM Trio Package Short Shift] [Fast Intentions 2.5 DP's] [Fast Intentions 2.5 Exhaust] [Valeo Bi-Xenon Ecode Headlights] [RS4 Pressure Plate] [JHM Stage 4 Clutch] [034 LWFW] [JHM 10mm Intake Spacers]-"Buying a used B6/7 S4 is like playing Russian roulette"

yvrnycracer

• Testers
  • thuper
Ya seems like your getting about what I got out of it.
Jozzie the Vancouver Audi Club forum creator has a FX400 set up on his A4 also. He's dealing with the same slipping issue.

The guys at PG informed me it was cause the springs seemed fatigued and clutch disk still had tons of material left. (sping fatigue @ 20,000kms is pretty redicolous)

Also the FX250 pressure plate is a Sachs, seems like they just add there own disks to it.

Just my two cents, but it sounds to me like these clutches aren't meant to be daily driven.

I have never understood why people who are basically putting down stock power put anything other than an OEM clutch there?! (stock power to me is OEM/basic bolt ons/chip)
Sales @ Mercedes-Benz Langley

AudiFan6

• VAC/Abby Thug
Just my two cents, but it sounds to me like these clutches aren't meant to be daily driven.

I would agree with that on the FX400 set ups, but I was running the very mild FX250 (they must have developed that for daily use)

I have never understood why people who are basically putting down stock power put anything other than an OEM clutch there?! (stock power to me is OEM/basic bolt ons/chip)

idk about this as I went even more hardcore on the clutch this time, but atleast it uses a OEM pressure plate.

Autohau5

• Gasoline rainbow in the gutter

Ya. Why didn't you just get an OEM clutch, Serg? They are more than capable for bolt on power.
'01 A6 2.7TT 6MT  |  '81 Rabbit S 16VG60   |  '16 Golf .:R   |   '05 S4  |  '96 YZF750R

Gerg

Stock clutches last 150,000+km
Why go anything else? But that's coming by me who swears by F1 racing brand
'92 GTI VRT - '93.5 Corrado VR6  - '04 R32 - '01 GTI 24V

eurotrash

• Testers
  • lurker
my 1.8t running apr 94, tb exhaust and bolt ons (maybe 250hp at the crank) has 300000kms on the original clutch with no slipping... stock clutches are pretty robust
2004.5 VW GLI | Platinum Gray
2017 Toyota Highlander Limited | Midnight Black Metallic

AudiFan6

• VAC/Abby Thug
Ya. Why didn't you just get an OEM clutch, Serg? They are more than capable for bolt on power.

Haha common you know common sense doesnt always prevail when upgrading.
The set-up I chose was the one I wanted to run all along. Pretty well the Popular choice on Audizine and Trying to make my car a full JHM bolt on car.

Stock clutches last 150,000+km
Why go anything else? But that's coming by me who swears by F1 racing brand

Ya mine at 110km was still good but just swapped it when doing chains for the clutchmasters.

cpa93

Also running an fx400 for about 10,000 km now. hoping mine will be good togo. Although I never launch it ever.

AudiFan6

• VAC/Abby Thug
Also running an fx400 for about 10,000 km now. hoping mine will be good togo. Although I never launch it ever.

Ya man it seems like it goes one of 2 ways, either they work awesome or fail early. Hope yours lasts.
Your running it on ur daily?
« Last Edit: May 08, 14, 12:27 by AudiFan6 »

cpa93

Daily driven on a mk4. Will be turning up the boost in a month, that will be the real test.

SR-71

• Top post score!
You have to abuse performance clutches. Mediocre driving will lead to premature failures. Performance/race clutches are meant to be driven hard.
DAS. Expect nothing.

SR-71

• Top post score!
springs seemed fatigued and clutch disk still had tons of material left. (sping fatigue @ 20,000kms is pretty redicolous)

How exactly was this determined? If they have some sort of actual proof you can probably get some warranty from CM?
DAS. Expect nothing.

dork

• Global Moderator
  • John Player Special
    • the dub allstars
I switched to DSG. Regret nothing.
Creative Director | Dub Allstars co. / Videographer | The Box One Collective

www.theboxone.com

AudiFan6

• VAC/Abby Thug
How exactly was this determined? If they have some sort of actual proof you can probably get some warranty from CM?

I have the whole set-up but like you said determining it is going to be the hard part. All i can say for sure was that it was slipping, cant for sure say why it was.

Seems like a lot of guys are running into similar problems on the Audi Platform
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/482238-ClutchMasters-warranty-sucks!-Clutch-options

I switched to DSG. Regret nothing.

Its deffinetly quicker and more comfortable to daily.
But theres nothing like having the 3rd pedal and having to put in some effort to get it right.
« Last Edit: May 09, 14, 17:22 by AudiFan6 »

yvrnycracer

• Testers
  • thuper
But theres nothing like having the 3rd pedal and having to put in some effort to get it right.

Having owned two DSG's i wouldn't buy another to daily. It's great performance wise, but the new zF 8 speed is way smoother and basically as fast.

I always chuckle at the manual "excuses" especially in the era of DSG and PDK transmissions. Manual is good fun and classic but far from practical and in reality slower and less efficient.

If I were you I would go back to the OEM setup unless you are putting a supercharger on that V8.
Sales @ Mercedes-Benz Langley

dork

• Global Moderator
  • John Player Special
    • the dub allstars

That sounds like something poor people say.

But in all seriousness. I used to say the same thing about Manual vs. DSG, until I actually drove a DSG for extended periods of time. It's like driving a video game. Which to me, is fun as hell. And when my hands are full texting, or drinking, or reading, I can just throw the car in D and not worry about switching gears, or having my left leg go numb from using the clutch in stop and go rush hour traffic.

Manual transmissions are fun in old cars that have throttle cables or a more raw feel to the pedals. New cars with drive by wire are almost soulless to drive. Heel/Toeing is less exciting because you can't "feel" the throttle, it's like a light switch and has no sensitivity.

Basically, this has nothing to do with the original thread.

www.theboxone.com

Blue Flame

• OG in hiding
    • Oil For Good

But in all seriousness. I used to say the same thing about Manual vs. DSG, until I actually drove a DSG for extended periods of time. It's like driving a video game. Which to me, is fun as hell. And when my hands are full texting, or drinking, or reading, I can just throw the car in D and not worry about switching gears, or having my left leg go numb from using the clutch in stop and go rush hour traffic.

Manual transmissions are fun in old cars that have throttle cables or a more raw feel to the pedals. New cars with drive by wire are almost soulless to drive. Heel/Toeing is less exciting because you can't "feel" the throttle, it's like a light switch and has no sensitivity.

Basically, this has nothing to do with the original thread.

:lol:

Saw you last night on 56ST in Tsawwassen, A3 looks hot.
Oil For Good

AudiFan6

• VAC/Abby Thug

Wow I tried saying it nicely so it wouldnt start the Manual vs. DSG argument. But i guess the DSG guys just gotta jump in regardless and tell you how there better then you.
Congratulations, I guess ill give u a cookie next time I see you so you can put your car into Auto while you eat it!

Not sure what to say about this one.
« Last Edit: May 23, 14, 14:41 by AudiFan6 »

dork

• Global Moderator
  • John Player Special
    • the dub allstars
I guess I should put the sarcasm emoticon in when replying to threads. I don't even think I've met you. Wouldn't the "next time" you see me be the "first time"?

PS: If I wasn't clear before. (Sarcasm) I am way better than you. And I'm rich because I drive a DSG. (Sarcasm)

www.theboxone.com

AudiFan6

• VAC/Abby Thug
PS: If I wasn't clear before. (Sarcasm) I am way better than you. And I'm rich because I drive a DSG. (Sarcasm)

ICIC so you living up to that DSG (Douchebag selecting gears) moniker pretty well (sarcasm)

FYI that whole thing wasnt about you, just the DSG people are sounding like the manual people of the past

I always chuckle at the manual "excuses" especially in the era of DSG and PDK transmissions. Manual is good fun and classic but far from practical and in reality slower and less efficient.

BlueVR

I have been driving dsg/stronic tranny for about 6 years and I like it. Driving manual once in awhile is fun but over all I would rather drive dsg everyday then manual. Driving  my TT Quattro with the "s" mode is really fun and also my A7 in "s".

Oh and when I had my B8 A4 and the big turbo allroad in manual, I ended up driving the A4 more then the allroad.
« Last Edit: May 23, 14, 20:55 by BlueVR »
2015 SQ5, 2009 A3 3.2 Quattro, 1988 16v "VRT" GTI

slowride

Ive been running my fx400 for 5k and I drive the piss out my car.  Probably launched the car at least 14 times, awd burnouts,  no lift shifting.  Just recently my throw out bearing has seem to have gone out, $200 later and a new one is being shipped from clutchmasters. 

Im getting my transmission dropped in a week or so, Ill take some pics of the clutch for shits and giggles.  Im curious to see how its holding up,  Its a very grabby clutch.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 15, 22:13 by slowride »

slowride

melted throw out bearing and broke two springs on pressure plate on my fx400

going back to southbend dxd stage 4 extreme drag

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
What do you mean its a grabby clutch? Instant engage?

slowride

Yep pretty much, but arent all 6 pucks?  Ive heard most people dont like the FX400 as a daily driver.  I think it held up alright to the abuse I gave it, I wasnt easy on it.  I got the clutch off AZ for cheap and it was new, so I gave it a whirl.

I know from experience that Southbend is awesome with warranty and backing their product, only reason I went with them.  They have hooked me up and upgraded past clutches, they really stand behind their stuff.  I havent heard the same for clutchmasters.

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
I haver driven a puck clutch gone as far as the level below but that's it.

slowride

You get used to it pretty quick. 

wrin

• mk2
fx400 slipping with 30000km... trying to decide between another fx400 or the southbend stage 3 endurance

AudiFan6

• VAC/Abby Thug
More Clutchmasters failures,
Happy to be done with it, even though my fam beaks me for driving like a asshole and there proof is how fast i blew out my clutch.

Enjoying my JHM stage 4 kit so far. Its a 034 LW FW with a inhouse Stage 4 ceramic clutch.

Dubgan

My FX400, is starting to slip after 2 years and 25,00km  Looking into something new that will last longer.

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
More Clutchmasters failures,
Happy to be done with it, even though my fam beaks me for driving like a asshole and there proof is how fast i blew out my clutch.

Enjoying my JHM stage 4 kit so far. Its a 034 LW FW with a inhouse Stage 4 ceramic clutch.

I am running JHM stage 4 kit as well. Drives like stock but bites hard.

SR-71

• Top post score!
Are you guys sure CM isn't making JHM kits?
DAS. Expect nothing.

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
Are you guys sure CM isn't making JHM kits?
I put zero research in as it came with motor.

vwcrest

Wow all this talk about DSG this and that, I couldnt laugh harder.

SR-71

• Top post score!
Wow all this talk about DSG this and that, I couldnt laugh harder.

You can laugh but DSG is not available for any cars discussed here.
DAS. Expect nothing.

vwcrest

I get whats going, its just funny