Author Topic: Buying a used b8 with the tfsi  (Read 318 times)

EhJay

Buying a used b8 with the tfsi
« on: Dec 21, 16, 21:39 »
I'm looking a a used a4 with the tfsi engine. All I've read online is nothing but oil consumption issues just varying amounts. Which pretty much come down to new rings and a large service bill out of warranty.

It's a private sale so not cpo and no warranty. I can't seem to find a definitive answer, was there ever an official recall?  I'm hesitant to pull the trigger only to be stuck with headaches down the road.

Are these cars more headaches than they are worth?

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
Re: Buying a used b8 with the tfsi
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 16, 22:08 »
We have had lots of them but not for an extended period of time. From what I've seen I don't think you will be able to buy a trouble free comparable car. 

Your best bet for a real answer is to call a shop ( not dealer ) who services them and ask them what they think.
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

EhJay

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 16, 08:42 »
We have had lots of them but not for an extended period of time. From what I've seen I don't think you will be able to buy a trouble free comparable car. 

Your best bet for a real answer is to call a shop ( not dealer ) who services them and ask them what they think.

Haven't really been able to get a straight off the ones I've talked to so far. Seems the car either has issues or doesn't and no real way to tell on an inspection. You will know pretty quick after a couple hundred Kms.

Looks like there was a class action in the states against Audi on it but not sure if that translated north of the boarder or not and can't find an outcome.

dork

• Global Moderator
  • John Player Special
    • the dub allstars
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 16, 15:21 »
Oil Consumption is a small issue. It's fairly common, but if you do regular oil changes, you might not see much consumption. We have customers who do their servicing every 8000km/6 months, and they are usually just at the min line (1 litre low) by the time they come in for the next service.

What you should look out for is Fault codes for Boost Pressure Regulation. We've seen several B8 A4 2.0T have wastegate issues and end up replacing the turbos. The wastegate ends up wearing out and it will sometimes not stay closed, which won't allow the car to hold boost pressure properly. This would end up giving you random spikes in boost, sometimes overboost and sometimes no boost at all if the wastegate gets stuck open.

If a B8 A4 is what you really want, and you see yourself keeping it for a while, I would buy one that has had the turbo replaced, or budget for the ~$2k that it will cost to replace it and be ready when that day comes. If you're worried about oil consumption, see if you can find a car with service records and see if you are able to figure out by the service intervals if it is going through oil more than usual. If the car is getting serviced every 15,000km and it's a little low on oil each time, then you would have no worries ramping up the intervals to 8000km and probably won't see any consumption.

Source: Work at RPI.
Creative Director | Dub Allstars co. / Videographer | The Box One Collective

www.theboxone.com

SR-71

• Top post score!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 16, 14:25 »
I'm looking a a used a4 with the tfsi engine. All I've read online is nothing but oil consumption issues just varying amounts. Which pretty much come down to new rings and a large service bill out of warranty.

It's a private sale so not cpo and no warranty. I can't seem to find a definitive answer, was there ever an official recall?  I'm hesitant to pull the trigger only to be stuck with headaches down the road.

Are these cars more headaches than they are worth?

AJ, there's a pretty dope 2009 A4 with a K04 for sale ;)
DAS. Expect nothing.