Author Topic: 98 b5 A5 Aeb power steering  (Read 848 times)

emgoodwin

98 b5 A5 Aeb power steering
« on: Feb 11, 13, 12:44 »
Hey guys, I'm 99% sure my rack is shot, it pisses out fluid when the steering is at either lock.

My question is what should I expect to pay to have this repaired, I'm somewhat new to audi's and I just want to make sure I'm paying a fair price.

Things i need to fix:
Powersteering (possibly rack)
Front control arms, bushings, tie rods the whole kit really.
Rear wheel bearings
Rear main seal

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 13, 22:26 by emgoodwin »

emgoodwin

Re: 98 b5 A5 Aeb power steering
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 13, 22:22 »
The other thing I was thinking about was, if there was anyone out there that knew how to do the work.. I would like to learn this stuff and be able to do it myself in the future. I would source out the parts we need we could do it ourselves, I have automotive experience, just new to the platform, and lack tools + space. I would still be willing to compensate this person as well, I just want to learn too.

besides I need more car friends anyways.

qwertyJr

Re: 98 b5 A5 Aeb power steering
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 13, 12:51 »
have you jumped under the car and taken a peek? I've heard of quite a few guys narrowing the leak down to a rubber hose that has just cracked over time.

I believe the line runs from below the reservoir over to the passenger side and that's where it changes from a metal to a rubber hose
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 13, 12:54 by qwertyJr »
"You crazy kids, live a little. Sprint to blue, grab some porcelain. Play in the Alpine, Go to Mars. Get sucked up in a Tornado, Join the Navy. Eat some Imola and taste the rainbow"