Author Topic: 4.2l into b5 a4  (Read 4401 times)

germanspec

Re: 4.2l into b5 a4
« Reply #40 on: Jul 03, 13, 11:00 »
You're right, a couple grand worth of parts plus a few more grand more in labour can repair the results of a timing chain guide failure.... it can't repair a total loss of compression on cylinders 1 & 5 rendering the engine more or less unrebuildable.  Similarly you can buy a used block, pretty sure he paid $2700 + gas to drive from Edmonton to Calgary and back when he picked it up, however then you're just left with a used block which you have no idea how it's been treated or what is likely to fail on it.

Guys who actually do know what they're doing don't just slap in a used block and assume all will be well in a car they're planning on keeping, that's what kids without adult incomes do to get their cars back on the road.  That's why Martin had the used block fully rebuilt from the ground up before he installed it back into his father's Avant.  Every seal, guide, gasket, belt, ring and spring was replaced.  The heads were decked, the water pump replaced and the starter that Mike installed in the S not long before he sold it was transferred over.  They also did a clutch job.  In other words, he did exactly what you should do everytime you work on/have work done on your car.... he looked at it and said "What wear items can I replace while I'm in there to prevent a future failure or repair?", then he spent the money and did it.  $13K is on the cheap side for what amounts to an effectively brand new S engine and clutch.
Did not mean to come across in an insulting kind of way, what I meant to say is that it does not have to cost this much to replace or repair an S4 engine. What your friend did there is more a total refurbishing, which is great if you have the mula to spend on such things. For most people maintaining a used car does not usually mean rebuilding engines at a cost of 13K.....a used good engine could be found and even if one does preventative maintenance before putting it in the car with new chains, guides, etc...the cost would still be about half of that.

Similarly one can spend 3-4K rebuilding an 8V in their 2.0L Jetta.....that is not the norm,

I react to statements like yours mainly because people who never even drove an Audi will read such comments on the internet and then soon enough you will have a bunch of threads on the net claiming that it costs 13K to replace an Audi S4 engine and scare people away from owning these cars in the future.

yvrnycracer

• Testers
  • thuper
« Reply #41 on: Jul 03, 13, 12:12 »
I react to statements like yours mainly because people who never even drove an Audi will read such comments on the internet and then soon enough you will have a bunch of threads on the net claiming that it costs 13K to replace an Audi S4 engine and scare people away from owning these cars in the future.

People should be apprehensive of owning older audi's, they seem to forget that they are 50-70k dollar cars and not 10k dollar cars. I would say for the average person a 13k dollar repair job to replace/replenish an S4 motor is probably not too far off especially since those are the people who will take it to a shop and say "fix it" because they do not want to scour the wreckers and the online parts dealers to get the best deal. They want their car fixed in an efficient manner and most shops don't want to waste time searching for bargain or used parts.
Sales @ Mercedes-Benz Langley

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #42 on: Jul 03, 13, 15:09 »
People should be apprehensive of owning older audi's, they seem to forget that they are 50-70k dollar cars and not 10k dollar cars.

This, although the only reason you should be apprehensive is if you are stupid enough not to do your research before buying and walk into it expecting the same maintenance costs as you see on a Civic or Corolla. 

Notice how the "Audi's are sooooooo expensive to own" whine/sob stories never come from owners of current models?  It's almost always from the kids who bought a 10yr old Audi because it had depreciated enough to be dirt cheap to purchase and didn't think they'd need a maintenance budget.  The cost of maintenance never depreciates, but by the time the purchase cost does depreciate significantly most of the major maintenance costs are coming due. (hmmmm...... correlation there perhaps?  :yes: ).  You see the same thing over in the BMW world with the E46 M3, dirt cheap to buy brutally expensive to maintain. 

Doubly true now that more and more older M3's and S4's are owned by younger kids who bought the "cool car" on shoestring budget and less and less are owned by the 1st or 2nd owners (it mature adults with adult sized wallets for repairs and maintenance).  That's part of the reason why I prefer my C5 V8's, they're not a tuner car so most examples have been owned by adults with money so they're reasonably well maintained.  Also what makes the C5 S6, or a mod'ed AllRoad, the perfect sleeper.  No one expects the big family wagon to be able to go like snot ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 13, 15:11 by mithril »
Dear Lord. If we give you Justine Bieber and Miley Cyrus, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

germanspec

« Reply #43 on: Jul 04, 13, 09:46 »
I would say most cars now are expensive to repair if something goes wrong unless they are a base model or high volume car like a Civic, 2.0L VW or Corolla. Heck, even if you blow up a diesel engine in a F350 which many people would think is cheap to maintain is going to cost you about 10K. This is going to only become worse with all the turbo engines popping up in cars.

You would be surprised however how many people are searching for bargains ...... the days of open wallet repairs are gone, not in this economy (unless you live in Alberta maybe). I have put quite a few S4 and Allroad/A6 owners back on the road this year already with used engines or transmissions. There are also the people who don't want to even spend 3-4K on a used motor and simply dump their broken cars for next to nothing and use the money they would spend on repairs to buy another car. I get calls every week asking if I want to buy this or that with blown engines, transmissions or other problems. The most prolific of these would be the 1.8T Passat/Audi A4, I get a call on these at least once a week.

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #44 on: Jul 04, 13, 13:30 »
What Nick and I are saying is there are a lot of people who really can't afford to operate a luxury vehicle yet buy an older A4/S4/A6/AllRoad simply because those cars have depreciated down to the same price as a Civic, 2.0L VW or Corolla.  They look at it and thingk "why buy the econo shitbox when I can get a really nice/cool Audi/MB/BMW for the basically same price"?  Unfortunately the Real Cost of Ownership is always maintenance which is something most people forget then find themselves shocked/scared as hell once the bills for that Audi/MB/BMW start rolling in... especially if they're comparing the RCO to that of the Civic, 2.0L VW or Corolla they're probably used to owning.

Just because a luxury car which originally cost $50,000 - $100,000 has depreciated to the point that it now sells for the same price as the econobox that started started off at $17,000 - $25,000 doesn't mean you're not still paying to maintain and operate a $50,000 - $100,000 luxury car.  Most of the "OMGZ, older Audi's are sooooooo expensive to maintain/fix" comments that I've seen are invariably from people who bought without researching enough to learn that pretty obvious fact.  Similarly most of the people going on about how unreliable older Audi's are are those people that thought they were buying a cheap car that you can scrimp or skip on maintenance without any negative effects.  It's part of the reason why I make a point of mentioning the service costs in threads like this one.

People are always searching for bargains, as these cars age it's always going to increase because they're owned either by people who can't afford to maintain/repair them properly or by the original owners who have basically run them into the ground and aren't willing to put almost as much, or more, than the car is now worth into repairing it.  Doesn't really change my previous statement about adult wallets vs wannabe boy racers buying cars like B5/B6 S4's and E46 M3's that they can't afford to maintain peroperly ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 13, 14:33 by mithril »
Dear Lord. If we give you Justine Bieber and Miley Cyrus, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?