Author Topic: 4.2l into b5 a4  (Read 4800 times)

yvrnycracer

• Testers
  • thuper
Re: 4.2l into b5 a4
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 13, 17:20 »
Even more interesting would be the V6TFSI

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Audi-S4-Motor-3-0-TFSI-Motor-CAKA-Motor-A6-Motor-333-PS-2009-komplett-CAJA-/261114281321?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item3ccb9fbd69

Boy would it be a nightmare to actually get working but it would probably be pretty damn quick!
Sales @ Mercedes-Benz Langley

SR-71

• Top post score!
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 13, 13:36 »
I dont think that will fit. Also, the transmission will be completely different.
DAS. Expect nothing.

AudiFan6

• VAC/Abby Thug
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 13, 16:19 »
lol, you say that now.... come back and talk to me when you've pulled up next to an H2 at a light and thought yourself "hmm... that's a remarkably fuel efficient vehicle".  :rofl:

hahaha ive done this, as someone that puts about 500km a week on a B6 S4 its shit on gas, and the sooner you learn to accept that the better you are. Also the 4.2 will be tight in a B5. and the only one you could run is the S4 one as it is the smallest version. But the S4 ones still go for a descent chunk of change and are a very complex/stupid design, the chain system goes and get ready for a nice big bill (mine got done last month). Pretty well do the 2.7t and just stay away.
2004 Audi B6 S4 [Oettinger Body-kit] [KW V3'S] [19X9 Bentley Continental Wheels] [Stoptech St-40] [JHM Trio Package Short Shift] [Fast Intentions 2.5 DP's] [Fast Intentions 2.5 Exhaust] [Valeo Bi-Xenon Ecode Headlights] [RS4 Pressure Plate] [JHM Stage 4 Clutch] [034 LWFW] [JHM 10mm Intake Spacers]-"Buying a used B6/7 S4 is like playing Russian roulette"

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 13, 00:03 »
Oh believe me, I accepted it about 3 years ago when I bought my first 4.2.  I mention it mainly because most people who are used to the standard 1.8T A4 can't believe just how thirsty an engine the 4.2 really is.  That first 82L fill (in my case, I know your tank is only 55L) and realization that you only got 300km for your $140 comes as a mighty shock to most :rofl:

To expand on your S4 4.2L comment, that specific variant is a brutally expensive engine to maintain/repair if something goes wrong.  Timing chains are on the back so forget about an "affordable" $1700 timing belt service, doing the timing chains on that engine is roughly a $3500 service because the engine needs to be pulled.  In fact pretty much every maintenance job starts with "Remove engine" as it's first step.  If something does go wrong, you're usually looking at replacing the engine altogether.  A buddy of mine in Edmonton just finished doing it on his Dad's 2005.5 Avant (Mike's old S4).  Crate engine was about $17K plus install; he ended up finding a rebuildable core in Calgary, ordering all the maintenance and rebuild items online, then had a local shop do the rebuild.  He and his dad installed themselves to save on shop labour and it ended up being a steal at ~ $13,000 all in.

As much fun as my engine would be in a car that weighs a good 700 - 800lbs less, the 2.7T is the much much better and more sensible swap option for a B5.  It would be interesting to see what the balance would be like with a 4.2 in a B5, the C5 and B6 V8's all used a lot of aluminium panels, subframes and suspension pieces to help keep the weigh down and to keep the car as neutral as possible, I have a feeling the B5 would be quite nose heavy without that weight reduction.
« Last Edit: May 31, 13, 07:38 by mithril »
Dear Lord. If we give you Justine Bieber and Miley Cyrus, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

RONDAL

• Smurf Tamer
« Reply #24 on: Jun 01, 13, 10:05 »
sure you could go the 4.2L route, but its the sub-optimal choice.
its more expensive, more customization, less parts available, and ultimately wont make as much power, not to mention heavy front end.

i know people hate it when you say "you can boost a 2.7TT out the ass" but its a simple fact that you can.  and its tried tested and true.  the kits available for plug and play essentially are endless, there is tons of options for everything you want, and there are lots of people that have done it before you.
unless you want to pave your own way just because, the 2.7TT route is a much smarter way to go
TEAM HIGHSCHOOL
I find intelligence inhibits my ability to enjoy dubberz.  It's like playing chess at a go-fish tournament

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #25 on: Jun 01, 13, 22:13 »
i know people hate it when you say "you can boost a 2.7TT out the ass" but its a simple fact that you can.  and its tried tested and true.  the kits available for plug and play essentially are endless, there is tons of options for everything you want, and there are lots of people that have done it before you.

You'll note that one one claimed any different ;)  if you want to mod your engine for huge power the 2.7T is the best choice.  That's generally why the 2.7T, and specifically the B5 S4, is the current choice of the boy racer set.  the 2.7T is the 1.8T of the Audi world.  On the other hand, if 300 - 350 is enough for you then 4.2 is the better choice because it gives you that out of the box.

In this case a 4.2 isn't the best choice simple because it'd be a custom swap... but we've already established that a couple days ago ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 13, 22:15 by mithril »
Dear Lord. If we give you Justine Bieber and Miley Cyrus, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

AudiFan6

• VAC/Abby Thug
« Reply #26 on: Jun 03, 13, 10:07 »
You'll note that one one claimed any different ;)  if you want to mod your engine for huge power the 2.7T is the best choice.  That's generally why the 2.7T, and specifically the B5 S4, is the current choice of the boy racer set.  the 2.7T is the 1.8T of the Audi world.  On the other hand, if 300 - 350 is enough for you then 4.2 is the better choice because it gives you that out of the box.

Yep 2.7T is the better motor if you want to make retard power. But the 4.2 is the way better daily one. Lets not even start to compare the gearbox's, the 4.2 one is way better.
2004 Audi B6 S4 [Oettinger Body-kit] [KW V3'S] [19X9 Bentley Continental Wheels] [Stoptech St-40] [JHM Trio Package Short Shift] [Fast Intentions 2.5 DP's] [Fast Intentions 2.5 Exhaust] [Valeo Bi-Xenon Ecode Headlights] [RS4 Pressure Plate] [JHM Stage 4 Clutch] [034 LWFW] [JHM 10mm Intake Spacers]-"Buying a used B6/7 S4 is like playing Russian roulette"

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #27 on: Jun 03, 13, 10:23 »
Lets not even start to compare the gearbox's, the 4.2 one is way better.

This one really depends on your model though.  In a 6MT then absolutely, however the 4.2L is pretty notorious for chewing through auto transmissions in the C5 and D2 models.  They did more or less sort it the auto issues out with the B6, C6 and D3 but it's not really fair to compare those cars to anything with a 2.7T since that's a 1 to 2 generation difference.  The 2.7T 6MT can also easily be upgraded which you're going to do if you're going to heavily mod the engine and aren't of the boy racers on AZ or AW who thinks they can buy a $5K S4, install an APR chip with Frankenturbos and run 18+psi with no other work and have a reliable car.

SR-71

• Top post score!
« Reply #28 on: Jun 03, 13, 15:10 »
a V10 FSI motor has been done so I guess they do fit.
DAS. Expect nothing.

RONDAL

• Smurf Tamer
« Reply #29 on: Jun 06, 13, 14:37 »
again though if you want 300-350 power, the 2.7TT is a plug and play drop right in and can make that reliably for little cost.  i still see no reason why you would deviate from it.

Yes the 4.2L might be a better daily engine (albeit a thirsty one), but its still going to be a MASSIVE pain to swap in vs the 2.7TT.
TEAM HIGHSCHOOL
I find intelligence inhibits my ability to enjoy dubberz.  It's like playing chess at a go-fish tournament

SR-71

• Top post score!
« Reply #30 on: Jun 06, 13, 16:52 »
I don't think 2.7T is a plug-and-play.
There's really no point fucking with 2.7T if you can swap a VR6 in it for more awesome. Or buy an S4.
DAS. Expect nothing.

BlueVR

« Reply #31 on: Jun 06, 13, 20:24 »
2015 SQ5, 2001 S4 Tial770r, 1988 16v "VRT" GTI

macleanshaun

• Dump'd + Daily'd

RONDAL

• Smurf Tamer
« Reply #33 on: Jun 07, 13, 13:59 »
There's really no point fucking with 2.7T if you can swap a VR6 in it for more awesome. Or buy an S4.

there's enough people that have done it now and harnesses available that it basically is. 
but i agree, just buy an S4
TEAM HIGHSCHOOL

AudiFan6

• VAC/Abby Thug
« Reply #34 on: Jun 07, 13, 14:17 »
Yep buy a B5 s4, swap a 1.8T back into ur car and move up in the world.

yvrnycracer

• Testers
  • thuper
« Reply #35 on: Jun 07, 13, 15:18 »
Yep buy a B5 s4, swap a 1.8T back into ur car and move up in the world.

what he said.
Sales @ Mercedes-Benz Langley

germanspec

« Reply #36 on: Jul 02, 13, 19:35 »
Oh believe me, I accepted it about 3 years ago when I bought my first 4.2.  I mention it mainly because most people who are used to the standard 1.8T A4 can't believe just how thirsty an engine the 4.2 really is.  That first 82L fill (in my case, I know your tank is only 55L) and realization that you only got 300km for your $140 comes as a mighty shock to most :rofl:

To expand on your S4 4.2L comment, that specific variant is a brutally expensive engine to maintain/repair if something goes wrong.  Timing chains are on the back so forget about an "affordable" $1700 timing belt service, doing the timing chains on that engine is roughly a $3500 service because the engine needs to be pulled.  In fact pretty much every maintenance job starts with "Remove engine" as it's first step.  If something does go wrong, you're usually looking at replacing the engine altogether.  A buddy of mine in Edmonton just finished doing it on his Dad's 2005.5 Avant (Mike's old S4).  Crate engine was about $17K plus install; he ended up finding a rebuildable core in Calgary, ordering all the maintenance and rebuild items online, then had a local shop do the rebuild.  He and his dad installed themselves to save on shop labour and it ended up being a steal at ~ $13,000 all in.

As much fun as my engine would be in a car that weighs a good 700 - 800lbs less, the 2.7T is the much much better and more sensible swap option for a B5.  It would be interesting to see what the balance would be like with a 4.2 in a B5, the C5 and B6 V8's all used a lot of aluminium panels, subframes and suspension pieces to help keep the weigh down and to keep the car as neutral as possible, I have a feeling the B5 would be quite nose heavy without that weight reduction.
Your buddy obviously doesn't know what he is doing. First of all its not really the chains that go on these motors but rather the guides, etc.. and its usually because of neglect or improper servicing. The parts can be purchased new for around 3K plus labour which usually ends up costing around 6-7K all in. At that point you sort of have a refurbished engine which should last a long time. Used engines can be had for around 4K which is what I sell them for as well, some auto wreckers ofcourse want much more. You can buy a 2.7tt for about half that cost but its going to have higher kms and will need some immediate servicing before you can put it in your car, so the overall cost is going to be similar. Also the 2.7tts will most likely need turbos soon.....both engines are not cheap to run.

germanspec

« Reply #37 on: Jul 02, 13, 19:40 »
I sort of agree with this....you can pick up a Touareg 3.2L engine (same as R32) for around 3K and you will have appx same power as a stock B5 S4 with a bulletproof engine. If you want more power you can always turbo the thing down the road.....that would for sure be the best swap.

the bartender

• I control the horizontal, and the vertical
« Reply #38 on: Jul 02, 13, 20:12 »

and the awesome thing about a VR swap is that they're so cheap that you can buy a spare to throw in the trunk to use as ballast.

mithril

• Testers
« Reply #39 on: Jul 02, 13, 20:56 »
Your buddy obviously doesn't know what he is doing. First of all its not really the chains that go on these motors but rather the guides, etc.. and its usually because of neglect or improper servicing. The parts can be purchased new for around 3K plus labour which usually ends up costing around 6-7K all in. At that point you sort of have a refurbished engine which should last a long time. Used engines can be had for around 4K which is what I sell them for as well, some auto wreckers ofcourse want much more. You can buy a 2.7tt for about half that cost but its going to have higher kms and will need some immediate servicing before you can put it in your car, so the overall cost is going to be similar. Also the 2.7tts will most likely need turbos soon.....both engines are not cheap to run.

You're right, a couple grand worth of parts plus a few more grand more in labour can repair the results of a timing chain guide failure.... it can't repair a total loss of compression on cylinders 1 & 5 rendering the engine more or less unrebuildable.  Similarly you can buy a used block, pretty sure he paid $2700 + gas to drive from Edmonton to Calgary and back when he picked it up, however then you're just left with a used block which you have no idea how it's been treated or what is likely to fail on it.

Guys who actually do know what they're doing don't just slap in a used block and assume all will be well in a car they're planning on keeping, that's what kids without adult incomes do to get their cars back on the road.  That's why Martin had the used block fully rebuilt from the ground up before he installed it back into his father's Avant.  Every seal, guide, gasket, belt, ring and spring was replaced.  The heads were decked, the water pump replaced and the starter that Mike installed in the S not long before he sold it was transferred over.  They also did a clutch job.  In other words, he did exactly what you should do everytime you work on/have work done on your car.... he looked at it and said "What wear items can I replace while I'm in there to prevent a future failure or repair?", then he spent the money and did it.  $13K is on the cheap side for what amounts to an effectively brand new S engine and clutch.
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 13, 20:58 by mithril »