Author Topic: 2009 A3 Quattro DSG Shifting  (Read 1876 times)

MKVIGTI

• 2010 GTI - MK2 Jetta coupe
2009 A3 Quattro DSG Shifting
« on: Dec 09, 15, 12:27 »
Hi guys,  Haven't been around for awhile but, I'm looking into a 2009 A3.

I leasing it through a friend at Carter GM and they have taken 2 different cars through their shop for inspection and say that  it's not shifting correctly.  They say at low RPM's it hesitates.  Same problem on two cars. 

My GTI was a manual and my 06 Jetta had DSG.   I do remember that the DSG does not shift like a typical automatic transmission.  I could not feel anything wrong when I drove the A3's

One of the cars was taken to open road to double check and they couldn't replicate the issue.   

Any clue on what the GM shop may be experiencing?  Maybe they are not used to the way these cars shift? 

Cheers
Bad decisions make good stories.

AirCooledRules

• Salmon S3X Pink Metallic
Re: 2009 A3 Quattro DSG Shifting
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 15, 13:36 »
Take it to audi and get it checked out.  Simple solution
Kiełbasa > Kolbasz

MKVIGTI

« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 15, 13:41 »
As mentioned in the post it was also taken to Open Road but, thanks for the obvious solution.  :)

My Question is,  does anyone here experience this?

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 15, 14:12 »
Hesitates in what way?

MKVIGTI

« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 15, 16:21 »
Hard to say, I drove the car and I didn't feel anything.  They said it felt like it would jump when you would give it gas at slow speed.

Wolfsburgs Finest

« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 15, 17:03 »
In auto mode my DSG equipped A3 occasionally shifts a bit hard/clunky. When this happens it's usually a combo of being on a hill, lugging at low revs and deciding to accelerate at exactly the same time as the DSG decides to downshift. It will also downshift if you're cruising along in auto and really punch the accelerator. That will cause a slight hesitation. I have never experienced this in manual mode. If they can't replicate the symptoms they're experiencing in manual, I'd say it's just a typical 8P DSG.

Schmiesus

• Administrator
    • Dubberz
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 15, 17:16 »
Hard to say, I drove the car and I didn't feel anything.  They said it felt like it would jump when you would give it gas at slow speed.
I'm just wondering if it's doing the same thing as our old a4 did and my mother in-law's a4. They would shift hard from time to time 3rd to second. None Audi techs all claimed they need trannies. Guys that knew the car said it was perfectly normal.

MKVIGTI

« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 15, 17:48 »
Thanks guys.  I have been looking around a few forums and it seems like it's quite common and the Audi techs don't see it as an issue.

I did find a recall that included a software update.  Maybe that will do the trick

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=0&md=0&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2009249&cf=SearchResult

yvrnycracer

• Testers
  • thuper
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 15, 21:29 »
don't lease an 09 Audi through carter GM... what is the payment like?

You would be better off getting certified unit that is a few years newer. Lots of expensive problems can creep up on these cars...
Automotive Industry

MKVIGTI

« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 15, 22:48 »
Payments are only $350 per month for 36 months.  I found the car from form a private seller and Carter bought it for me and had Open Road Audi do a full inspection.  I also have all the service history.  One owner car that was religious with the service. Car is immaculate.

I use the car for outside sales so any service will be tax detectable.  Helps offset repair costs.

Anyways.  Too late, love the car, its in my driveway.